Thailand Named Best Tourist Country

george

Well, French people dislike themselves too! Parisians and inhabitants of Marseilles (without the final "s" in French) for instance are often critical and not always amiable (to say the least) towards each other. But, come on guys! Let's stop with the generalizations! Do you think that Britons, Americans, Aussies, Kiwis (etc.) are all of one and the same kind?

No

Where have you been in France?

Paris, Lyon and Grenoble mainly

How long did you stay?

Around two years

Can you speak French?

Yes, although a little rusty now, as is my scouse

And I too really don't like to make generalisations, but, I have found that French nationals who have managed to leave their home country to explore the rest of the world end up as much nicer people when they come to the realisation that nobody outside of France actually wants to speak French.

Now, back to the Danes, I know two or three of them here, haven't got a bad word to say about one of them, and it doesn't surprise me that Thailand was voted as their favourite holiday destination.

wot, Ukraine is ranked 8th place with 23.1m plus tourists, ten places above Thailand. They're having a laff

unless that is they count the Red Army scattered around the borders as "potential tourists" :D

I take it you've never done the tour of missile silos then. Utterly awesome as is the Dnepropetrovsk tractor factory :o . With such attractions it's a wonder people still go to the pyramids or Taj Mahal.

Let's not forget though that this survey was of 8,000 people voting in a magazine poll. I wonder how many have voted with their wallets and actually travelled to Thailand. Let's face it a European voting for favourite holiday destination is hardly likely to vote for Mozambique, or Equador, or.....................Ukraine are they?

And I too really don't like to make generalisations, but, I have found that French nationals who have managed to leave their home country to explore the rest of the world end up as much nicer people when they come to the realisation that nobody outside of France actually wants to speak French.

Wow! You should say that (for instance) to our friends from Quebec! :o:D Anyway, I agree that French nationals (but it's certainly true about the citizens of every country in the World) who have traveled abroad are usually way more open-minded and far less arrogant than the others... I am not alone to be sometimes ashamed of the attitude of some of my fellow countrymen, but hopefully, it should improve in the future.

wot, Ukraine is ranked 8th place with 23.1m plus tourists, ten places above Thailand. They're having a laff

unless that is they count the Red Army scattered around the borders as "potential tourists" :D

I take it you've never done the tour of missile silos then. Utterly awesome as is the Dnepropetrovsk tractor factory :D . With such attractions it's a wonder people still go to the pyramids or Taj Mahal.

Let's not forget though that this survey was of 8,000 people voting in a magazine poll. I wonder how many have voted with their wallets and actually travelled to Thailand. Let's face it a European voting for favourite holiday destination is hardly likely to vote for Mozambique, or Equador, or.....................Ukraine are they?

alas it was compiled by the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) as part of their World Tourism Barometer publication. I'd say a tad more authoritative.

but hey, funny you mention that charming lil town, Dnepropetrovsk, you know? they too have their own attraction. Maybe time to pay a visit, whaddaya fink? :o

Edited by Sarge

it's a very easy and wonderful country to travel around especially if you have kids but i'm surprised a european country is not top of the list of favourite spots as there is so much history beauty and damm good food, i love the aosta valley for the perfect mix for me

Where is Denmark on the map? :D

As mentionned by Goyave, France is the #1 tourist country, Thailand should be +100 or so.

I was visiting a friend in a small village near Paris two weeks ago and had a walk around the church.

I was astonished at the high quality of the 8 shops I saw there: butcher, bakery, grocery, milk/cheese, newspaper, restaurant.

There is not ONE comparable shop in all of Thailand.

There might be be a few good places for tourists, if Phuket or similar would fit the bill, but it doesn't.

Please go to visit Hilton Head or Marcus Island or Everglades National Park to just name 3 nice places on the planet.

Even Durbuy in Belgium is nicer than anything I visited in Thailand (except the Grand Palace I concede).

Thailand will remain a third world country for the foreseeable future, tourism included. :o

If the Australian Dollar (AUD) - Thai Baht (THB) exchange rate stays where it is I'll have to work a few more years before I can afford to retire in Thailand. From almost 33 baht to the dollar a few months ago, today (28 October 2008), I am only getting just over 21 baht to the dollar. I know of a LOT of Aussies who are having second thoughts about their next Thailand holiday. Yes - Cambodia seems a lot like Thailand used to be 15 to 20 years ago.

Peter

If the Australian Dollar (AUD) - Thai Baht (THB) exchange rate stays where it is I'll have to work a few more years before I can afford to retire in Thailand. From almost 33 baht to the dollar a few months ago, today (28 October 2008), I am only getting just over 21 baht to the dollar. I know of a LOT of Aussies who are having second thoughts about their next Thailand holiday. Yes - Cambodia seems a lot like Thailand used to be 15 to 20 years ago.

Peter

Price wise, NOT beach/island wise, infrastructure!

Edited by Samuian

Peter

ba patient ... the Baht is reaching its peak ... the Aussie Gov. is willing not to let the AUD reach the floor ... by year end you might see a total reversal of the situation ... ""what comes up has to go down"" or something like that !