Us Election Watch Meetup

jchu

Does anyone knows of a place where the local US expats will skip work and hang out to watch the election results as they are coming in on the Nov 5th day time? Would be good excuse to skip work to drink and watch who gets their butt kicked.

As a non-American, I have not paid a lot of attention to this. But, an American colleague mentioned something about a gathering planned on US election day at the Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel, beginning at 7:00 a.m. Probably best to check with the hotel in advance, or drop in if you are able to.

Why don't we have our own meet-up RIGHT HERE?

COUNT-ME-IN ........will be quite interesting, for sure, up to the election night.......will stock up my favorite sugarcane slurpy!! :o

Which side are U on....huh huh?

I will print out my Palin and Obama masks and see who will put it on to support their favorite!

Hopefully we can meet somewhere with some drinks. Since the Election is on the Tuesday 4th, we should meet on Wed 5th in the morning to watch the result and hopefully get drink by noon.

anyone got a venue?

Do you think the winner of the Presidential election will actually be chosen in one night?

I think it will be another close one!…

Or It may drag ON and ON and ON…..if turns out like the Bush-Gore election

With legal problems, voter fraud, machine failures....and who knows what else.. :o

I'm excited...I think this is the most interesting election ever!

So no real pissup or any tailgate party, me think------except right here on TV? :D

Better save time for my beauty sleep on my real bed, much better!!…..hahaha

But might have election piss-up dream, tho….hehe :D

later

Mgirl

Do you think the winner of the Presidential election will actually be chosen in one night?

Yes, I think this will be a quick and clear decision. 2000 was a freak election which dragged on for weeks and 2004 though very close and decided only by one state, Ohio, was decided shortly after the polls closed. There is no reason to expect another freakish election like 2000 or even a very close one like 2004.

Actually, this brings up an interesting problem. If the tv networks calls the east coast states like Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida going for Obama (they tend to project by exit polls) everyone will know its over even before the west has voted. That's kind of weird, I wonder how they will handle it because it could stop people from bothering to vote in important swing states like New Mexico, Colorado and Nevada.

Edited by Jingthing

When I was saying…“think it will be another close one!…”

Well just try to give some HOPE to McCain’s supporters, here….hehe :D

The horse is already in the barn, me think

So no need for any special piss up then,

Maybe the after….pissup!???

NOW:...Just pray for “no hanging chad” or any loose screws ordeal !! :o

When I was saying…“think it will be another close one!…”

Well just try to give some HOPE to McCain’s supporters, here….hehe :D

NOW:...Just pray for “no hanging chad” or any loose screws ordeal !! :o

Even if I was American, there is no way in hel_l I would get up at 7am to go to a function to watch it when it is live on all the news channels at home.

BTW, no worries about hanging chads, this won't be close.

When I was saying…"think it will be another close one!…"

Well just try to give some HOPE to McCain's supporters, here….hehe :D

NOW:...Just pray for "no hanging chad" or any loose screws ordeal !! :o

Even if I was American, there is no way in hel_l I would get up at 7am to go to a function to watch it when it is live on all the news channels at home.

But U r not an american - so keep your beauty sleep then

Ahh……

However...the outcome of Presidential Elections in America could simply effect a decision as to who the next do-boy of Canada will be?….jing jing mai ja

U should be somewhat concern too, signor James :D

Edited by MetroGirl

I think I will probably just stay up all night that night. I reckon the fix will be in 8 or 9 am Thailand time at the latest. It is an exciting election, especially if who most of us think will win, wins.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing, i will take your word for it on the math, just looking at all those numbers gives me a headache.

As for you MET GIG, do you know what day and time the election will be shown in Thailand?

hmm....MET GIG......huh

I have no idea about the thai tv schedule - coz I will be in the US by the end of the week here.

So I guess it will be on tv 24/7 at my house there :o

Getting back to the original topic, I would imagine that meeting up at 10am to watch the polls as it closes until 1-2ish should be fine. No need to get up early at 7am.

Wonder if woodstock, or some other American bar/grill would have any opening for this.

Getting back to the original topic, I would imagine that meeting up at 10am to watch the polls as it closes until 1-2ish should be fine. No need to get up early at 7am.

Wonder if woodstock, or some other American bar/grill would have any opening for this.

Most likely all the drama will be well over by 10 AM Thailand time. It would be like watching the final game of the world series the day after it occurred.

ok back to the topic:

Good idea.

Op asked:

Does anyone knows of a place where the local US expats will skip work and hang out to watch the election results as they are coming in on the Nov 5th day time? Would be good excuse to skip work to drink and watch who gets their butt kicked.

With the US election in a few days, please keep this thread on topic as it may be of interest to some people.

I wish I could be home for this historic election but it didn't work out that way. There's no denying that this election has special meaning for some of us. I'm organizing an election get together for my fellow African Americans. I'm not sure yet if we'll have it at my friend's apartment or if we'll meet up somewhere out on the town; your suggestions are welcome.

As far as the start time of the get together, it depends on people's schedules. I think that the night after the election might be easiest but some of us will probably watch the results together as they come in.

If you're interested in attending, let me know. Also let me know if you have any ideas that you'd like to contribute.

Ok, it appears, from a some PM's I've received that there are quite a few people interested in an "election meet-up" & have complained about 3 pages of "off topic" posts, which I have sunsequently deleted.

Please keep this thread related to "US election meetup".

Thankyou for your co-operation.

Soundman - Thai Visa Moderating Team.

I'm still waiting for someone to suggest some place that may be open on Wed morning till noon for some drinks,food and Election watch. I have already taken the morning off, so if I don't find any place, then it will be my cozy bedroom with my cats for company :-P

would Cosmos, Woodstock, or Roadhouse BBQ be available?