Child Born Thailand

petewan

i have been in thailand now five years ,three in nakhonSawan and two in Pattaya. I am married to a thai and in December we will have a baby. I wonder what i need to do to ensure my boy will be able to visit his brother and sister and other relatives in the UK . I want him to grow up in thailand as a thai and i have no intension of moveing back to England but i wonder in time as he gets older he might want experience

liveing in England as a lot of thai i have talked to have indicated. Does he as my son have any rights in the UK ? Or do i have to regester the birth with the UK .Any advise would be appreciated. I took my wife last year for five week and although she enjoyed her trip and the things she saw and did she couldent wait to get home and i have to say neither could i Thanks

Pete in Pattaya

Go to the British Embassy and register the birth. It costs about 17,000 baht and that includes a passport/birth cert. 10,000 baht without passport.

You could do it online. Go to their website.

Bamrungrad hospital gave me my elder daughter's Birth Cert in Thai and English translation but I don't recommend going there for childbirth - it's a rip-off with bad service.

Good luck

your son has the right to British citizenship, when he is born take the thai birth certificate & translation to the British embassy & apply for his passport. You can at the same time request a British birth certificate too, there is a debate on whether it is needed but imo if you can afford to, get it, if you can't, don't :D

Once he has the passport he has the right to travel to the UK as freely as you do.

As for other benefits, well imo, your son will be part of two cultures, if you decide to only expose him to the thai side then he will suffer later when & if he tries to assimilate into the UK, so my advice is don't deny his British heritage, which is just as important as his thai heritage, even though you plan to live full time in LOS teach him about British ways & life just as much as he will be taught about the Thai ways. :o

Oh & congratulations on the new arrival :D

If you are British otherwise than by descent, your son will be British, too. In general terms, if you were born in the UK, you will, as likely as not, be able to transmit your nationality to your son.

Should you be British otherwise than by descent, you may seek to register your son's birth at the British embassy in Bangkok and simultaneously apply for a British passport. For a list of the documents you'll need, see the embassy website. There is, however, no compulsion to actually register the birth, but it is useful to do so.

Your son can legitimately hold both Thai and British passports.

The above is a previous post by Scouse, he had a definitive guide, but it appears to be missing.

Good luck

Moss

your son has the right to British citizenship, when he is born take the thai birth certificate & translation to the British embassy & apply for his passport. You can at the same time request a British birth certificate too, there is a debate on whether it is needed but imo if you can afford to, get it, if you can't, don't :D

Once he has the passport he has the right to travel to the UK as freely as you do.

As for other benefits, well imo, your son will be part of two cultures, if you decide to only expose him to the thai side then he will suffer later when & if he tries to assimilate into the UK, so my advice is don't deny his British heritage, which is just as important as his thai heritage, even though you plan to live full time in LOS teach him about British ways & life just as much as he will be taught about the Thai ways. :o

Absolutely agree.

I did the same only in reverse. I am married to a Thai lady who I met in England. She lived at the Thai embassy in Kensington and was the niece of who was than the Thai ambassador. Our daughter was born in England, and I insisted from the start that my wife and her Thai friends speak mostly in Thai to my daughter.

We came to live in Thailand from 1994 to 1995 and than in 2003 for good. So ensuring that my daughter who is now 19, was part of the 2 cultures certainly paid off. Now she speaks in fluent London English and Chiang Mai Thai.

My daughter is a full time music teacher in Chiang Mai and is also a part time policewoman with immigration. If you phone Immigration during closing time, it is my daughter’s voice you will hear on the answer machine speaking in Thai and English.

Absolutely agree.

I did the same only in reverse. I am married to a Thai lady who I met in England. She lived at the Thai embassy in Kensington and was the niece of who was than the Thai ambassador. Our daughter was born in England, and I insisted from the start that my wife and her Thai friends speak mostly in Thai to my daughter.

We came to live in Thailand from 1994 to 1995 and than in 2003 for good. So ensuring that my daughter who is now 19, was part of the 2 cultures certainly paid off. Now she speaks in fluent London English and Chiang Mai Thai.

My daughter is a full time music teacher in Chiang Mai and is also a part time policewoman with immigration. If you phone Immigration during closing time, it is my daughter’s voice you will hear on the answer machine speaking in Thai and English.

What's her name? :D

Make sure you write the name of the babby precisely at the hospital, including your surname, as this info will then be used to obtain the Thai birth certificate.

Just to comment that unless your son intends to travel to the UK in the near future, you do not need to rush to the British Embassy right now and pay 17,000 baht. So long as your name is on the birth certificate and you were born in the UK, (holds British citizenship other than by birth), then he can apply for a British passport at any time in the future. I believe it also makes the process easier if you were married to his mother at the time of his brith.

Simon

Now I am not English but would it not be good to register as soon as possible? I mean as a citizen of England, you have free health care ect. i e get into the welfare system ASAP?

You only have access to the national health and all the other welfare benifits if you are resident in the uk

at least six months a year. and have a home address.

i have been in thailand now five years ,three in nakhonSawan and two in Pattaya. I am married to a thai and in December we will have a baby. I wonder what i need to do to ensure my boy will be able to visit his brother and sister and other relatives in the UK . I want him to grow up in thailand as a thai and i have no intension of moveing back to England but i wonder in time as he gets older he might want experience

liveing in England as a lot of thai i have talked to have indicated. Does he as my son have any rights in the UK ? Or do i have to regester the birth with the UK .Any advise would be appreciated. I took my wife last year for five week and although she enjoyed her trip and the things she saw and did she couldent wait to get home and i have to say neither could i Thanks

Pete in Pattaya

i really hope you aren't an english teacher

Pete in Pattaya

i really hope you aren't an english teacher

No, he is a self made usd millionnaire