Getting A Tourist Visa After A Work Permit Is Returned

Hi!

I originally came to Thailand with a Non-Immigrant B Multiple Entry Visa. I eventually got a work permit and have worked here for awhile. Before the work permit, I did one visa run to the malaysian border to get a new stamp (it had been almost 90 days since I arrived).

I'm now leaving the job that I had, and thus returning my work permit. I know that I'm required to leave the country or file for a new work permit in 7 days. I don't have a new job with work permit lined up, so I'll be doing the former. However, I'd like to stay in Thailand.

Where is the best place to go to get a tourist visa, leaving from Bangkok? What is the best way to get there, keeping in mind that I don't want to spend a ton but also would prefer not to spend 3+ days on a bus?

What are my other options (like visa exemption stamp) without a return ticket out of Thailand?

I'm an American citizen, not near retirement age.

I'd really appreciate even just a city name and airline/bus co.! Thanks!

If I understand you correctly you have a mulktiple entry non-immigrant. Your visa and permision to stay are still valid. Only if you are on an extension of stay, for which you apply at an immigration office, does your permission to stay expire when you lose your job.

Till when is your multiple entry visa valid?

It sounds like you still have time left on your non-b visa. Perhaps almost 9 months worth infact.

Tourist visa info follows

Vientian is best choice for a tourist visa. You can get a 2 entry visa that will give you a total of about 6 months doing extensions and one border run. Visa is 1000 baht per entry.

Least expensive is by train to Nong Kai. Most people reccomend a 2nd sleeper seat bcause it an over night trip.

Next is by bus to Nong Kai.

Fly to Udon Thani and then a bus to Nong Kai or Vientiane.

Fly BKK to Vientiane.

Edited by ubonjoe

If I understand you correctly you have a mulktiple entry non-immigrant. Your visa and permision to stay are still valid. Only if you are on an extension of stay, for which you apply at an immigration office, does your permission to stay expire when you lose your job.

Till when is your multiple entry visa valid?

I do indeed have a multiple entry non-imm visa, and it was originally valid until June 2009. My understanding, though, was that once I signed for my work permit, the visa became attached to the work permit, and that when I gave back the work permit Thai immigration would cancel my visa.

I have not found too much consistent and clear information on this. Thanks for replying so quickly!

Your permission to stay remains valid, just don't forget to leave the country every 90 days. The permission to stay is only tied to the WP when you are on an extension of stay. You are not on an extension.

By leaving and entering the country a few days before your visa expires you get a new 90 days and so almost 15 months on your 1 year mulitple.

I do indeed have a multiple entry non-imm visa, and it was originally valid until June 2009. My understanding, though, was that once I signed for my work permit, the visa became attached to the work permit, and that when I gave back the work permit Thai immigration would cancel my visa.

Because your current permission to stay is based on your entry with the non-immigrant visa, not on an extension of stay for work, your permission to stay does not end on the last day of your work. You can continue to stay legally until the end of your permission to stay and you can continue you make future entries into Thailand with that visa until the day before the expiration date stamped on the visa, and on each arrival you will again receive permission to stay for 90 days.

--

Maestro

This was in my case.

The multy entry B visa was issued in Thailand and then when your WP get cancelled you have 7 days to leave the country.

The Multy entry visa is tied to the WP in that case, so will be void.

The HR department here in Thailand was very confused and told me I could stay in Thailand for as long as the visa was valid (Dec 2009)

as long as I did not leave the country.

Checked the immigration site and found out.

I went to SG to get a Tourist visa, just had to show that I have 20.000 THB and the paperwork.

The lady at the desk did however asked me why I travelled so many times in and out of Thailand so many times.

So I explained her and then it was all fine.

This was in my case.

The multy entry B visa was issued in Thailand and then when your WP get cancelled you have 7 days to leave the country.

The HR department here in Thailand was very confused and told me I could stay in Thailand for as long as the visa was valid (Dec 2009)

as long as I did not leave the country.

Checked the immigration site and found out.

Let me see if I've got this right: your WP was tied to your multiple-entry visa because it was issued in Thailand? Does that mean that, since mine was issued to me while I was still in America, mine is not tied to my WP (like everyone else seems to be saying)?

If anyone could point me to some kind of documentation on this, I'd be very grateful. I have now heard the same answer from a couple people here but am still encountering conflicting information elsewhere...

Thank you all!

That the point,

Nobody in the office could give me an answer so I decided it was best to just apply for a tourist visa.

I did found some site that told about this but did not saved the URL.

But I remember.

So, the point was the bit about being issued in Thailand, yes? And thus not applicable to me?

Also another question. You said your visa was valid until December 2009. Typo? If not, how is that possible?

Ignore AlexLah's posts. All the answers you need were in Maestro's post (no. 7).

Sophon

Alex you were on an Extension of Permission to Stay not a 'multy entry B visa'. You may however have had a non B visa before your extension was applied for.

Nowadays, there is no 7 day grace period: When you stop work, your Extension of Permission to Stay is cancelled that same day.

Alex you were on an Extension of Permission to Stay not a 'multy entry B visa'. You may however have had a non B visa before your extension was applied for.

Nowadays, there is no 7 day grace period: When you stop work, your Extension of Permission to Stay is cancelled that same day.

You are fully correct about the extension of stay, sorry for my reply as I did not realise.

Anyway, could you provide us with a link to the website that points out this same day rule?

I tried to search for it for about two hours but I gave up.

Thanks!

Alex