American Shot In Hua Hin On 24 Oct. 2008; Three Thai Suspects Arrested

BEENTHEREDONETHAT

I've heard rumours that a farang was shot in front of his house in Hua Hin. Shot once in the lungs and once in the stomach. He is suppose to have been moved from Sao Paulo Hospital in HH to a hospital in BKK. The rumour is that he is critically ill and paralysed from the waist down.

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Supposedly happened last Friday.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes this is true ! well the part about being shot and now in a hospital in bangkok! was also told that it is the husband of a thai lady

It is true, a bullet passed through both lungs and another one through his stomach into his spine. He was shot twice by two Thai men in a pickup on Friday evening while standing in his own front yard in front of about a dozen Thai witnesses across the street.

He is still in critical condition and may not make it. If he does he will be paralyzed from the waist down for the rest of his life.

Lets hope the police find out who is responsible for this senseless act of violence.

Edited by sbk
personal details removed--sbk

Any news on why they shot him???...university and all sound like upstanding figures...

Most people here have a pretty good idea but I will not say on a public forum as I could be next!

His name is Donald Whiting, Google it with "Hua Hin" and you will get plenty of background...

Edited by hhfarang

Any news on why they shot him???...university and all sound like upstanding figures...

Most people here have a pretty good idea but I will not say on a public forum as I could be next!

His name is Donald Whiting, Google it with "Hua Hin" and you will get plenty of background...

Thanks for the input HHfarang. Does this have any connection with his car being firebombed in his carport?

Have the BIB been actively looking for the guilty party for the firebomb and the shooting?

Any of these question that you prefer to ignore I certainly understand.

Thanks

BT

The person who was shot had apparently made strong claims and was in dispute aginst some the local area developers. The local Hua Hin Forum is tied in with the property development industry to some extent, not sure how much.

It is pretty quiet on this topic the local forum mentioned, sort of like taboo, given the severity of the injuries sustained by one of the adversaries perhaps out of respect and the impact on local business and the areas reputation, I can understand why...

Donald Whiting and his wife Dolly contracted Regal Thailand Group to build their home in Hua Hin but the contract has not been fulfilled and remains in dispute. The managing director of Regal Thailand Group is George Mastrokopolis, a well known figure in Hua Hin and the proprietor of the periodical Hua Hin Today.

The Whitings alleged that Regal took 13.6 million bt but failed to build anything beyond a half finished concrete monstrosity constructed out of sub standard materials, 80% of which has been surveyed as dangerous and uninhabitable. Mastrokopolis has countered allegations by stating that his erstwhile partner, Mario Aiello ( a Canadian/Italian ), was responsible for the contract and that his Group was no longer concerned. Mr.Aiello has since faced censure in the Thai courts for other contracts and is currently under legal obligations to remedy these.

The Whitings have been vociferous in their condemnation of Mr Mastrokopolis and his Group.Their complaints have been published locally and in Europe highlighting the plight of expat retirees who have been defrauded by unscrupulous developers.

Mr Mastrokopolis enjoys a reputation in Hua Hin fostered by his paper, Hua Hin Today. A report in August 2006, featuring a property promotion at the Sofitel, described Mr Mastrokopolis as the chief organiser of the event which had been graced by a surprise VIP guest, police Lt.General Chaiyan Maklamthong, Deputy Commission General, Bangkok. A recent report in the Berliner Zeitung states that Mr Mastrokopolis' head of PR is Hua Hin's former police chief.

Assassination as an extension of normal business practice is a recognised phenomenon in Thailand. The more professional of those contracted to kill are reputed to come from the South but in practice many engaged in this work transpire to be policemen or members of the forces.

Donald Whiting and his wife Dolly contracted Regal Thailand Group to build their home in Hua Hin but the contract has not been fulfilled and remains in dispute. The managing director of Regal Thailand Group is George Mastrokopolis, a well known figure in Hua Hin and the proprietor of the periodical Hua Hin Today.

The Whitings alleged that Regal took 13.6 million bt but failed to build anything beyond a half finished concrete monstrosity constructed out of sub standard materials, 80% of which has been surveyed as dangerous and uninhabitable. Mastrokopolis has countered allegations by stating that his erstwhile partner, Mario Aiello ( a Canadian/Italian ), was responsible for the contract and that his Group was no longer concerned. Mr.Aiello has since faced censure in the Thai courts for other contracts and is currently under legal obligations to remedy these.

The Whitings have been vociferous in their condemnation of Mr Mastrokopolis and his Group.Their complaints have been published locally and in Europe highlighting the plight of expat retirees who have been defrauded by unscrupulous developers.

Mr Mastrokopolis enjoys a reputation in Hua Hin fostered by his paper, Hua Hin Today. A report in August 2006, featuring a property promotion at the Sofitel, described Mr Mastrokopolis as the chief organiser of the event which had been graced by a surprise VIP guest, police Lt.General Chaiyan Maklamthong, Deputy Commission General, Bangkok. A recent report in the Berliner Zeitung states that Mr Mastrokopolis' head of PR is Hua Hin's former police chief.

Assassination as an extension of normal business practice is a recognised phenomenon in Thailand. The more professional of those contracted to kill are reputed to come from the South but in practice many engaged in this work transpire to be policemen or members of the forces.

I recall the local forum, facing the threat of legal action, had to remove a similar post to this. I believe they posted their reasons and that this still remains.

I recall the local forum, facing the threat of legal action, had to remove a similar post to this. I believe they posted their reasons and that this still remains.

I can't imagine why. The post is based solely on facts already available and published in the public domain both here in Thailand and abroad.

Local police have contacted local forum and asked for no more rumours/hearsay to be written as they are dealing with the matter seriously, which is great news.

Donald is still in hospital in serious condition, has spine and breathing problems requiring 24 hour medical care, hopefully things will improve.

Please let's keep it civil and respectful to the family members involved.

CS

Edited by Jai Dee
Reference to external forum deleted

Klikster this is a public forum and think that most people would like to know the reasons for what you are saying. Could it be the fact that you may or may not have a gripe with the local forum, or is there an underlying reason that you are requesting PM's from anyone who is asking you questions relating to this matter.
I can confirm Klikster had a minor run in with 'certain people' overthere a good time ago, 6-9 months already!?. He appears not to have shaken it off yet as every opportunity that arises he has his little swipes, the graveness of this matter is the worst possible time to resurect it and quite dispicable to me. It's time to move on, let bygones be bygones.

I'm still wondering why you two/three are talking so much about another forum here in TV.

It makes me wonder who hasn't gotten over what.

Local police have contacted local forum and asked for no more rumours/hearsay to be written as they are dealing with the matter seriously, which is great news.

CS

Forgive me for not sharing your faith in what to many is a reassurance as comforting as, say, the blandishments offered initially by the police in the murder investigation of Leo Del Pinto in Pai.

The track record of local Thai police investigating a crime which has links to local figures with vested interests is not encouraging and frankly nothing less than the intervention of the DSI is likely to alter the belief in this case that the perpetrators will not face justice.

Muzzling a dissenting voice challenging the competence of the current investigation may well come as second nature to the Thai but to expect the more discriminating among us to collaborate in acquiescence is really quite naive and perhaps a little bit stupid. Although I can well understand the temptation for some to be seen as such.

Donald is still in hospital in serious condition, has spine and breathing problems requiring 24 hour medical care, hopefully things will improve.

CS

So the police went straight to the MODS of this board and asked for no more comments in this matter, well so nice, hope you all bow and shut down your computers.

have a nice day!

I hope Mr. Donald recovers well and that he can go on living here safely, take care, man.

Brgs,

MC

I assume the local forum being referred to is not ThaiVisa. We have not been contacted by any authorities, AFAIK. Let's try to focus on the condition of the injured man.

The local forum easily found if you google Hua Hin. Then look at news.

I assume the local forum being referred to is not ThaiVisa. We have not been contacted by any authorities, AFAIK. Let's try to focus on the condition of the injured man.

The local forum easily found if you google Hua Hin. Then look at news.

The reason nothing will be said on the "local site" mentioned is that they play ball with advertiser's. If you say anything derogatory against an advertiser or sponsor it is deleted. Also you can say anything nice about an advertiser or sponsor, if you do not advertise then nothing is said.

If you want any info regarding Hua Hin look at Hua Hin Today or Hua Hin Hotline or this site.

I was horrified to hear about this. Biff and I met a couple of times. He and Dolly certainly had a serious grievance. A number of prominent local people who knew the other parties in the main matter attempted to negotiate an informal agreement. As Biff was due to make a court appearance shortly after the attack I assume that the attempts at mediation were unsuccessful.

If I was a resident of Hua Hin I would be very concerned if this crime is not fully investigated. Given the circumstances, whatever the motivation for the crime may have actually have been, its obvious that many people will associate the action with Hua Hin's property scandals. If there is a cover up then its seems fair to assume that a precedent will have been set. On a recent visit it was obvious to me that some long term residents were becoming genuinely fearful although when asked to talk about this directly they were at pains to deny any nervousness. If it becomes accepted that there is now an open season on property scandal whistleblowers those people and others will all be wondering who might be next.

If you want any info regarding Hua Hin look at Hua Hin Today or Hua Hin Hotline or this site.

Thats a bit rich. Didn't you read the above post?

If not, read this: "The managing director of Regal Thailand Group is George Mastrokopolis, a well known figure in Hua Hin and the proprietor of the periodical Hua Hin Today". He appears to be one of the people Mr. Whiting was in dispute with. Isn't it widely regarded as a propoganda sheet?

Isn't the other one run by the Thai 'mediator' connected to Mr. Mastrokopolis?

Edited by Ollie

Poor Donald, No doubt as he fought a good battle as per the newspapers....

Now, with the global economy etc what chance does HH have.....

Too bad as its a nice place, lovely! Would be a wonderful place but over built, allegedly substanrard houses, and the papers report now a very dangerous place.

Too many people out of work! I hope it gets better but seems things are bleak!

Lovely place for retiree's, but just not right now! Sadly

Edited by soundman
Removed racist remarks - Be careful.

yes this is true ! well the part about being shot and now in a hospital in bangkok! was also told that it is the husband of a thai lady

It is true, a bullet passed through both lungs and another one through his stomach into his spine. He was shot twice by two Thai men in a pickup on Friday evening while standing in his own front yard in front of about a dozen Thai witnesses across the street.

He is still in critical condition and may not make it. If he does he will be paralyzed from the waist down for the rest of his life.

Lets hope the police find out who is responsible for this senseless act of violence.

Odd that there were alot of people standing right there... did he live in the town area?

• 2 weeks later...