American Shot In Hua Hin On 24 Oct. 2008; Three Thai Suspects Arrested

BEENTHEREDONETHAT

Ms Oxley is sometimes listed in the media as 31 years old and other times at 48 years old. The first thing I do when I open the Nation is make sure they've got the date correct on the front page!

The Nation does apparently have that correct. Bangkok Post was quite off.

30094539-01.jpg

Mrs Junpen Oxley, 31, was arrested in Sa Kaew Thursday for allegedly masterminding a murder attempt on her British husband; Darren. She was trying to go to Cambodia when she was arrested.

The Nation

anybody got a picture of darren oxley ?

No luck yet finding one of the fugitive Darren Oxley, tax.

His apprehended wife, shown above, is the best I can do so far.

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ms Oxley is sometimes listed in the media as 31 years old and other times at 48 years old. The first thing I do when I open the Nation is make sure they've got the date correct on the front page!

The Nation does apparently have that correct. Bangkok Post was quite off.

30094539-01.jpg

Mrs Junpen Oxley, 31, was arrested in Sa Kaew Thursday for allegedly masterminding a murder attempt on her British husband; Darren. She was trying to go to Cambodia when she was arrested.

The Nation

anybody got a picture of darren oxley ?

No luck yet finding one of the fugitive Darren Oxley, tax.

His apprehended wife, shown above, is the best I can do so far.

She was arrested for hiring the hitmen to kill Whiting, the American guy who was having a bitter feud with her husband.

Her husband, Darren Oxley is a drug dealer from Sheffield who jumped bail from the UK in 2001 and was on the run selling real estate in Hua Hin.

Interpol are after him now.

Edited by SmugFarangBore

Getting back to the original story, who is responsible for the intial hit on Mr Whiting?

We are discussing the original story. Do try to keep up.

Mrs. Oxley has been arrested (while trying to flee the country) for allegedly hiring the three hitmen; Samart Areesawat, 41, Yutthana Areesawat, 36 and Ek-anand Jitmahima, 50, that shot Mr. Whiting.

Her husband, Darren Oxley, who is still wanted from 2001 in the UK on serious drugs charges, is also implicated in this case and is now on the run.

Edited by SmugFarangBore

Man on run in shooting...... from the sheffield star.

Published Date: 31 January 2009

By Claire Lewis

A FUGITIVE Sheffield bouncer is being hunted by police in Thailand over the shooting of a wealthy American.

Darren Oxley, aged 38, fled the UK after his drug dealing operation in former city centre nightclub Republic was exposed in 2001.

Now he is being hunted by Thai detectives after Donald Whiting, 65, was gunned down outside his retirement home on an estate in a Thai resort managed by the ex-doorman.

Oxley, who fled Sheffield for Thailand and became a property developer and manager in the resort of Hua Hin, had been accused of sending extortionate water bills to Mr Whiting.

He was already due at court the day after the shooting, last October, over complaints lodged by Mr Whiting about his bills and having his water cut off. Mr Whiting also claimed his car had been firebombed.

But the day before the case was listed the pensioner was shot in the back of the neck, and has been left paralysed from the waist down.

Oxley is alleged to have been involved in a war of words with Mr Whiting on an internet forum, which is said to have left him furious at the damage done to the reputation of his company.

His Thai wife, 31-year-old Janpen Oxley, has been arrested for allegedly ordering the 'hit' on Mr Whiting. She was seized as she tried to cross the border into Cambodia. Thai police believe her husband may have already crossed the border and gone to ground.

Immigration Police Colonel Benjapol Lortsawat said: "An arrest warrant has been issued for Darren Oxley but his whereabouts are unknown."

Three others have been arrested for firing the gun at Mr Whiting in return for an alleged £4,000.

Oxley fled Sheffield after he was caught in 2001 paying drug pushers to deal cocaine, Ecstasy and amphetamines to revellers at the Matilda Street club in return for free entry and drinks.

South Yorkshire Police uncovered his lucrative sideline after mounting one of the largest raids ever carried out in Sheffield, which led to the seizure of 900 ecstasy tablets and 42 bags of white powder.

Oxley was charged with dealing Class A drugs but jumped bail, leaving nine members of his gang to face the court. They were jailed for a total of 60 years.

At Sheffield Crown Court it was claimed Oxley was the ringleader of the operation and his crew had "lived in fear" of him. He was described as "violent" and "not a man you mess with" who had made considerable amounts of money.

When he arrived in Thailand he bought flash cars including a Lamborghini, Bentley and Range Rover, went into the property trade, and married the ex-wife of a Thai police officer.

"An arrest warrant has been issued for Darren Oxley but his whereabouts are unknown."

considering the checks , cross checks , 90 day reports , address reporting , computers , visa renewals , photocopies , photographs , duplicates and triplicates required by every immigration office and outpost in this kingdom on a regular basis for every "alien" , it seems inconceivable that his whereabouts is as unknown as they say they are.

No Robin of Oxley this bloke.

No clue how to keep a low profile and live off a nice pile of drug cash for years.

Got to pick a wife from hel_l, or order said wife to do a hit on a farang..

what a bleedin' twit!

Now he is totally exposed and international on the run.

She gonna be doing time for some time to come,

and the 3 dumb as stumps hit men will roll on them like a cement mixer.

What part of keeping a low profile did this guy NEVER understand??

Stupid is a stupid does.

And lets hope he gets the EXTRA small suite at Bangkok Hilton for an extended booking

considering the checks , cross checks , 90 day reports , address reporting , computers , visa renewals , photocopies , photographs , duplicates and triplicates required by every immigration office and outpost in this kingdom on a regular basis for every "alien" , it seems inconceivable that his whereabouts is as unknown as they say they are.

I'm sure if he has fled the country then he did not do it on his own genuine British passport.

I'm sure if he has fled the country then he did not do it on his own genuine British passport.

Most likely, however many of the 55 entry and exit points to Thailand are not computerised and he could have easily crossed on his own passport and not been caught at several.

Sometimes people seem forget how backward and disorganised the Thai authorities actually are.

Thailand being the major passport forgery hub in the region and he already being a criminal on the run it is not inconceivable that he would have had several forged passports. They are fairly easy to obtain and many foreign criminals caught in Thailand have them.

He was well connected in Hua Hin and it could have been the case he was assisted over the border by one of his connected friends.

Many possibilities, and as his wife was on her way to Cambodia all indications are he made his way there.

The more pertinent question not yet addressed, publicly at least, is just how Oxley managed to evade arrest and extradition to the UK for his drug crimes there.

He evidently kept a high profile both in his personal life and through his property development and so one could reasonably conclude that various agencies within the British embassy must have been aware of his presence. Yet he remained at large free to exploit and defraud seemingly at will. How could this be?

The answer is all too clear and shows the extent of police corruption embedded in Hua Hin which previously enjoyed free rein sanctioned by higher echelons in Bangkok. That such corruption could thwart the process of international law suggests a political dimension and one supposes that Thaksin's traditional axis with the police gave them the immunity they needed.

A previous poster in this thread disclosed that George Mastrokopolis, MD of the Regal Thailand Group and a major player in Hua Hin's property market, recruited the ex local police chief as his head of public relations. This appointment goes some way to explain the presence of a Bangkok police general, as the " VIP " guest, at one of George's property exhibitions held at the Sofitel. A great message and one that would not have been lost on those who may have had ideas above their station.

An enormous amount of money has been made and it is reasonable to assume that in return for a share of the protection afforded by this police connection others too, such as Oxley, could jump on the band waggon.

Well, up until now it seems. It looks like the old deals are gone, police generals previously in power are being sidelined, and Abhisit's government has signalled an end to Thaksin's gift of immunity.

Brave new world perhaps?

Well, up until now it seems. It looks like the old deals are gone, police generals previously in power are being sidelined, and Abhisit's government has signalled an end to Thaksin's gift of immunity.

Brave new world perhaps?

Don't kid yourself. If Oxley or his wife had not allegedly ordered the hit on Mr. Whiting they would still be at large.

Thailand will remain a paradise for fugitives on the run for a good many years yet.

which is surprising for a previously high-profile land developer and at the same time, a fugitive from the UK.

..... although it shouldnt be too difficult to imagine what a thuggish drug dealing ex night club bouncer from sheffield turned expat building cowboy on the make in thailand looks like.

I was quite suprised to see Mr Oxleys former Sheffield boss parading as a teak furniture expert.

from a comment posted by a reader on andrew drummonds blog.

thats an interesting snippet.

anybody know anything more on this guy , if its who i think it is , then he lives a seemingly very low profile quiet life running his business just outside hua hin.

Edited by taxexile

I was quite suprised to see Mr Oxleys former Sheffield boss parading as a teak furniture expert.

from a comment posted by a reader on andrew drummonds blog.

thats an interesting snippet.

anybody know anything more on this guy , if its who i think it is , then he lives a seemingly very low profile quiet life running his business just outside hua hin.

do we have any names ?

We no longer allow links to huahinnews or to their rival forum, but I think I will let that one stay, unless the newspaper objects.

The Hua Hin Forum and the hua hin news as posted in the jpg above are two completly different media outlets with no connection whatsoever. I'm sure the newspaper will not object, but I think you'll find the Hua Hin Forum will about your misleading association between the two.