Turkish Food

Datsun240Z

Hmmmm I ASSUME you mean BKK, so you might ask a mod to move this to the BKK sub-forum and out of the country-wide 'western food' section

(btw I don't really think of LadPrao as downtown)

Plenty of places along lower Suk and particularly between Suk Soi 3 and Soi 7

Edited by jdinasia

Hmmmm I ASSUME you mean BKK, so you might ask a mod to move this to the BKK sub-forum and out of the country-wide 'western food' section

Is Turkish Food Western?

depends which side of the Bospurus you buy / eat it :o

Is Turkish Food Western?

so a kebab on the europe side is called a lamb sandwhich?

Is Turkish Food Western?

depends which side of the Bospurus you buy / eat it :D

so a kebab on the europe side is called a lamb sandwhich?

you could call it that but Kebab sounds better, more exiting ..... the Tuerks and Greeks have a lot in common also as far as food is concerned and things like Hummus which most people asociate with the middle east originates actually from Cyprus / Greece / Tuerkey .... Italian food (there really is no such thing) changes very much from Northern Italy down to Sicilly where the food and spices used become much more spicy ... yea I think we can let him have it :o they are part of the European Continent.. well some of it

Edited by JohnBKKK

Is Turkish Food Western?

Turkey is not part of Europe. I have a great Turkish friend in The Netherlands, which runs a restaurant. So i quite miss the Turkish food. :D Thailand is more sea-food, but i'm more of the meat eater myself.

Sorry datsun, but part of Turkey most certainly is part of Europe (physically, and maybe politically in 2013)

Well, I learned in school that it was somewhat called "asia minor"... and a former German Chancellor Dr.Kohl coined the prase, regarding Turkey's ambition to join the EU, :"Since when does asia minor belong to Europe?"

The peninsular mass that the Asiatic continent projects westward of an imaginary line running from the Gulf of Alexandretta (Issus) on the Mediterranean to the vicinity of Trebizond (Trapezus) on the Black Sea. It is washed by three great seas, the Euxine (Black Sea) on the north, the Mediterranean on the south, and the Ægean on the west. It is located between 36°-42° north latitude and 26°-40° east longitude. The extreme length is about 720 miles and the extreme breadth about 420, though the average is 650 and 300 milesrespectivelly. At its extreme western limit it almost touches the European mainland, from which it is separated for several miles by the narrow straits of the Bosphorus and the Dardanelles (Hellespont) and by the small Sea of Marmora (Propontis) through which connecting waters the Mediterranean and the Black Sea are brought into mutual contact.

Source:

However, their kitchen has some incredible culinary delights to offer, as many of the Mediterranean countries...

There seems to be a lot of Thai-Muslim eateries (as opposed to Arab restaurants in Nana) near Datsun's area (Ratchada), near the Lao Embassy, and I've enjoyed some of them. They're like an "evolved" version of Arab food to something in between Thai and Arab.

The one I usually go to is at the corner of Pracha Utit Road and Soi Sahagankamoon (I think).

Dunno if that's any help though, but you might enjoy it as well.

Anyhow now some good places to eat Turkish food, around downtown

There is a fairly new Turkish restaurant called Ibo near the Holiday Inn in Silom now. It was very clean when I went a few weeks ago, and the food was good; though the restaurant is very plain in that modern minimalist style.

It's in those new upmarket townhouses, apparently 'Bangkok's chichi Sun Square boutique mall'.

There is a review of it from the Nation newspaper: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/worldhotne...newsid=30075573

Turkey food is defiantly not same as Arabic :D I don't know what's wrong with you guys :o

The very best of Turkish food I know in Bangkok is this one:

I B O

1043/4,Silom 21,Silom Road Bangrak

tel:02-237-5168

Mobile:08-9887-2058

Turkey food is defiantly not same as Arabic :D I don't know what's wrong with you guys :o

The very best of Turkish food I know in Bangkok is this one:

I B O

1043/4,Silom 21,Silom Road Bangrak

tel:02-237-5168

Mobile:08-9887-2058

Yes, I meaned the Turkish food in person. Thnx, i'll go try it.

Samuian ... look at the map :o The issue is that most of Turkey is not in Europe .. (which is why i said "part")

(and I do not think Helmut coined the phrase Asia Minor)

I think the greek came up with it and Helmut only re-used it, the only thing he ever said that I liked! :D

There is a Turkish Restaurant in Lamai too and since a couple a day's a Falaffel Stall in Chaweng, Leam Din area, couple of hundred meters up towards Beach Road, passed the Petchabun Boxing Stadium, right in Front of the Chabash Center, next to "Honey Bar".

A visit is in Order...

I went to IBO yesterday with my girl. It's a good place to eat. Although we arrived about 4 pm, and allready they didn't have the Kebab anymore, which we came for, so we tried the mixed grill. :o

:D They don't have the Shoarma on the menu ass wel.... and no Beer to.

But they said more was coming, as they just opened the restaurant and where still very busy.

• 2 weeks later...

:D Assuming by "downtown" you mean Bangkok, the Arabic/middle eastern/Lebanese/and Turkish food area would be on Sukhumvit btween soi 3 and soi 5 (I think). Used to be a very good restaurant some years back known as Scharezade (spelling?) run by an Iranian that had great Iranian/Arabic/Lebanese/etc. food. It may be closed now, I haven't been there for a few years. The owner was a moslem, and no alchohol allowed. They had a grill at the entrance, they grilled kababs and big green peppers (not too spicy). It had very good lamb kababs, served with Arabic bread and bean paste. I believe it may have been on Soi 5 but I coiuld be wrong. I believe if you walk around that area and clpse to the Nana hotel area you will still see restaurants with the meat for kababs/swhama outside. Just look for the Arabs walking around. Last time i was in that area there were a lot of Arabic food shops/restaurants.

I would like a good Adana kebab now.

:o

I ordered take away from IBO and the food was good except the patlacan salad. Not authentic, but their meat dishes were really good.

Could you please give the phone number or the website as I'm not been able to find one?

I didn't order directly from IBO, I used www.ChefsXP.com

There is a fairly new Turkish restaurant called Ibo near the Holiday Inn in Silom now. It was very clean when I went a few weeks ago, and the food was good; though the restaurant is very plain in that modern minimalist style.

It's in those new upmarket townhouses, apparently 'Bangkok's chichi Sun Square boutique mall'.

There is a review of it from the Nation newspaper: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/worldhotne...newsid=30075573

Has anyone noticed how restaurant reviews in the Nation often neglect to include the address or phone number of the restaurant they're reviewing?

IBO near to my office just like 2 minutes walk. :o I am a Turkish guy , yes them food good but I can tell you that , it's nothing compare to eating food in Turkey. They have like 50% taste of Turkish food but still ok for foreigners who never taste real Turkish food in Turkey.

IBO is only place in Thailand you can find "ISKENDER KEBAB" aka "ALEXANDER's KEBAB" which is made by doner kebab with nice tomate sauce , lay on small cut pita breads , side yogurt on melted butter on that. Please try it you guys will love it.

There also another Turkish restuarant in pattaya called A LA TURCA. Them food like 25% taste of Turkish food. But they have Turkish RAKI , Beer and bellydancer on fridays as i remember.

See u guys.

P.S: someguys here says Turkey not part of Europe well what you think about Cyprus , Istanbul more near to Europe than Cyprus.

Edited by simonsimon

• 2 weeks later...