Intending To Climb K2...

Gaccha

Intending to climb K2...

and need some gear...

I am after North Face zipped trousers. I have gone to a few 'North Face suppliers'(according to the North Face website) in Bangkok and, after I counted them all out and counted them all back, they don't supply any North Face at all... :D

I've tried "super sport" and they only sold shoes, and not even North Face shoes. Anyone out there had any successful discoveries of North Face trousers... or any decent 'adventure brand' trousers with zips on the front pockets...

And I was obviously pulling your leg about climbing K2. I am intending something much harder: to walk around Bangkok and not be mauled by packs of dogs... or pickpocketed... :o

Intending to climb K2...

and need some gear...

I am after North Face zipped trousers. I have gone to a few 'North Face suppliers'(according to the North Face website) in Bangkok and, after I counted them all out and counted them all back, they don't supply any North Face at all... :D

I've tried "super sport" and they only sold shoes, and not even North Face shoes. Anyone out there had any successful discoveries of North Face trousers... or any decent 'adventure brand' trousers with zips on the front pockets...

And I was obviously pulling your leg about climbing K2. I am intending something much harder: to walk around Bangkok and not be mauled by packs of dogs... or pickpocketed... :o

get yourself a walking cain, this works for the dogs etc.... :D

keep looking for those zip trousers.

there is a north face store in discovery center

Blimey, you would think "North Face" would be keen to mention this on their website, but no...

I will head there in a couple of days. I take it that "discovery center" is Siam Discovery... :o

Made an expedition to Discovery Centre, and found trousers with only very small zipped pockets. That shop being the biggest North Face in Bangkok, means no useful zipped trousers exist.

I told the staff there was a vast pent-up demand among farang for front zipped trousers. :o I was so preachy that one staff member said she wondered whether she should set up her own shop just selling zipped trousers.

There next batch comes in February. So can the vast pent-up demand quickly make its way there to persuade them of the need for zipped trousers. :D

Intending to climb K2...

and need some gear...

1. i don't think you really need front-zipped trousers to survive bkk, North Face or not.

2. if climbing K2, don't get your gear in Thailand. Even the stuff in the "North Face" store is of questionable quality. I had a light-mountaineering jacket from the North Face store literally fall apart at the inner seams. It was quite sad.

3. At last inspection, i still believe North Face orients their zippers the 'wrong way.' Patagonia is the better brand for skiiing/mountaineering and their zippers are oriented the 'correct' way (i.e. down = closed). Never seen Patagonia sold here so not much to add on that.

4. I'm sure you can find some sort of non-North Face trousers with front-zippers at any night market.

5. How much did that store at Discovery want to charge for those trousers?

if you really were to climb K2 i am quite sure you would be better off buying gear near there- same as in nepal. if you are going to everest, get all your shit in kathmandu (and give nepal a big kiss from me!)

North Face were after a mighty 2,500 bahts for their small zips (you could fit a small lighter in them).

As for other trousers, when you buy cheap you do compromise. I have bought an emergency pair in Big C for 290 bahts (I 'lost' a pair walking to the dentist and walking past a concrete block, which ripped the quality 'Peter Storm' trousers apart). The BigC pair don't have zips but they do have 8 pockets. On the other hand, I think I am going to get friction burns walking in this heat with trousers that a young Tavolta would have worn... :D

Okay, so be on the lookout for either:

- a sales assistant lady setting up a zip trouser franchise :D

or

- a jump in BigC sales :D

or

-a new Patagonia store opening :o