Supermarket Checkout Pattaya.

undercover

No matter what supermarket you go to now in Pattaya the wait at the checkout has become unbearable, it is clear to see the problem is simply that out of maybe 30 + checkout's only 4/5 will be open.

It has become so bad now that I have noticed people abandoning their full trollys at the checkout and walking out the shop. :o

Really ? I go to supermarket twice a week and I've never seen a really long queue, neither trolleys left alone ?! Are you the kind of people who has a totally free day, but who goes for shopping only at the time where the people who work have to go ?

No, I'm wrong. I saw one day a queue at a cashier. A old moron wanted absolutely pass with beers and alcool and it was 10am. But the staff opened immediately another cashier...

I remember a retired farang, moaning about people (especially thai) who didn't walk in the escalator. He explained he lost time because of this horrible behaviour !

You're wrong about that. The reason Foodland is fast is because the staff there are extremely well trained and efficient. Sometimes we should give credit where credit is due.

I have never had to wait for more than one person in front of me in nearly 3 years of shopping at Foodland. They actually open new checkouts when people are waiting. It's the fastest checkout I have ever encountered in a supermarket anywhere in the world. Even the manager gets in there to pack when it gets busy. They can scan my items almost as fast as I can get them out of my trolley.

It's a pleasure to shop at Foodland.

Why are the staff in a European owned supermarket IE... Lotus Tesco ( not extremely well trained and efficient )

Why are the staff in a European owned supermarket IE... Lotus Tesco ( not extremely well trained and efficient )

Indeed, best meat also. Little bit more expensive for some items but who cares?

As for efficiency, where there is no or very little supervision service level will drop.

At Foodland, the cash registers are all in immediate view of one of the floor managers, that probably helps.

just my 2 cents

cheers

onzestan

People people, don't go on and on about it. It is just as bad down here in Oz. Bloody Coles supermarket are amongst the worst, Safeway not far behind, Aldi and IGA are pretty crap! Slow, not enough checkouts...it's a global plague I am afraid! And I don't see it improving.

You're wrong about that. The reason Foodland is fast is because the staff there are extremely well trained and efficient. Sometimes we should give credit where credit is due.

I have never had to wait for more than one person in front of me in nearly 3 years of shopping at Foodland. They actually open new checkouts when people are waiting. It's the fastest checkout I have ever encountered in a supermarket anywhere in the world. Even the manager gets in there to pack when it gets busy. They can scan my items almost as fast as I can get them out of my trolley.

I agree completely with you.At foodland the checkouts are fast and efficient but if you look at the speed of checkout in the bigger supermarkets its a cry.It's like they all sleepwalking.

I shop at Villa and seldom, if ever have anyone in front. Plus they deliver.

In UK if there's a long queue I ask to speak to manager - usually there's one hovering near check-outs and ask whether they';d prefer me to leave the trolley for them to put items back (and presumably throw away perishables) OR OPEN A CHECK OUT.

Usually does the trick. Where it doesn't, I find it helps to learn from the experience by shopping elsewhere in future. I also help them on the path to future success in retaining customers by leaving my full trolley for them to deal with. This is purely an act of selflessness to demonstrate to them the advantages of not making me queue to spend money.

Doesn’t matter overstaffing the place at the electric appliance section nor will they get any message from the abandon trolleys. Nothing wrong with the management OK, that’s final.

You got that right mate. Go into the liquor section & there's 50 people tripping all over themselves.

name='basjke' date='2008-10-31 22:11:28' post='2305598']

I agree completely with you.At foodland the checkouts are fast and efficient but if you look at the speed of checkout in the bigger supermarkets its a cry.It's like they all sleepwalking.

Never shoped enough in Foodland to say good or bad, so will take peoples word on that.

Friendship is good :o

But Big C, Tesco, and Carrefour, are the worst for the speed of the checkouts.

also tripping over stuff and staff restocking the place, is one more issue with the above outlets. :D

Edited by plasticpig

It’s a part of Thai logic.

It's a problem everywhere. I've never understood why Carrefour's (and similar operations), whether in Thailand or elsewhere, can have 50 cash registers and check out lanes and never seem to use more than 60% of them.

Anyway, it's obviously a supervisory/management issue, not something to blame on all the lower echelon minimum wage people.