Residency Card & National Insurance Number Help Neeeded

My wife has just arrived and is getting used to the Uk. Whats next, she is in on an EEA family permit. I would like her to get ajob as soon as she is ready, I guess she needs a national insurance number, but I have read that these can only be got when someone starts work. I would have thought she would need this to prove she is allowed to work in this country. Confused.

I guess she also needs to apply for her residency card, but i hear that this can take 6 months, she will need her passport for flights back to northern ireland at christmas, so not sure what to do, is there any other ID card she could use for the flights. Thanks

As Northern Ireland is part of the UK there is no need for a passport if travelling from another part of the UK. However some (most? all?) airlines want to see some form of identification before allowing passengers to board, such as a driving licence. I suggest that you check with your airline to see what is acceptable to them.

Remember, though, at if you wish to venture into the Republic then she will need her passport and an Irish visa.

The DWP will only issue a NI number if the applicant has a need for one. This is usually because the applicant is starting work but could be for another reason such as a child tax credit claim. If she does not have her NI number yet want to starts work most employers will use a temparary one based on her date of birth until the real one is issued, eg. TNddmmyyF. Her EEA permit shows that she is legally entitled to work in the UK.

Edited by 7by7

Embarking on any domestic flight within the UK or the Common Travel Area ( i.e Rep. of Ireland, Channel Islands ) requires the traveller to hold photo ID. This is normally a driving licence if a passport is not available, provisional or otherwise. Currently, any application to the DVLA in Swansea must be accompanied by confirmation of identity which in your wife's case will be her passport. The turnaround for the application is usually within 2 weeks and so there is plenty of time to meet your schedule.

Edited by thucydides