Pad Rallies At British Embassy In Bangkok

george

Please provide photographic evidence of PAD protesters being handed money. There are thousands of cameras there every single day and night. Shouldn't be hard for you anti PAD rumour mongers to provide. Also some one point me to the line the protesters stand in to get their money, I have many friends who go there and they will be upset to learn that everyone else is being paid except for them.

DP25 - spot-on -

Again - PAD supporters are not paid to be there - I don't know how many more times we'll be required to reiterate this?

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please provide photographic evidence of PAD protesters being handed money. There are thousands of cameras there every single day and night. Shouldn't be hard for you anti PAD rumour mongers to provide. Also some one point me to the line the protesters stand in to get their money, I have many friends who go there and they will be upset to learn that everyone else is being paid except for them.

I don't think anyone seriously believes individual PAD demonstrators are being paid to protest.

What is widely believed, and in fact cannot be contested, is that PAD has access to very substantial funding indeed.This and its mysterious immunity from being subject to the law has been widely reported, and again isn't seriously disputed.

Good point younghusband -

Where does this funding come from?

And why is the PAD - in all respects - immune from being subject to the laws of the land?

The million dollar questions - me thinks -

What are their REAL expenses?

Don't count ASTV or Manager and it seems like they have very little in real expenses ... food and water etc. A legal fund (and you must assume that they get quite a bit of pro-bono lawyers). A victims fund ....

A few fixed expenses (stages and PA's etc) Maybe some shirts etc .. but I see people buying and wearing their own for the most part.

They have a large number of people contributing daily (I have seen people donating when they come to be part of the rally) In fact those people donating seem to be the evil antithesis of what the pro Thaksin movement would have you believe ... they go to the rallies AND give money (instead of being paid!)

There have been such horrendous abuses in the past, that using force to dislodge a (relatively) peaceful demonstration is just unacceptable to most Thais. The small spats that happened at these rallies in the past were nothing until a counter group (that appears actually to be paid!) attacked them at Gov't house (leading to a death and the State Of Emergency decree) and then the Police attacking (apparently on order from the PM though it looks like Chevalit may get stuck with much of the blame!).

Strange that even though there was that nutter with the truck .... the only deaths and apparently the only maimings/amputations were on the part of the PAD members. I really am impressed that they didn't escalate the situation while they still managed not to back down. So flaunting the law with impunity is kind of a silly thing to call it... The Gov't knows they cannot crack down hard on them. Even if they didn't alienate the rest of the population by doing so, they could in effect create a more militant resistance ....

Somchai declines to comment on video clips of his lookalike

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat Thursday declined to comment on video clips of a person who looks like him and was seen taking a woman into a love motel.

When asked to comment on the video footage, Somchai smiled and walked into the assembly hall at Parliament at 1:45 pm.

The clip was played to the crowd at the Government House.

- The Nation / 2008-10-30

No disrespect to Khun Somchai - but there are 'Somchai clones' everywhere - he's got that sort of face -

And anyway - even if it's him afterall - dammit - he's a full-blooded Thai male -

This is what they do - married or single - it makes no difference to them -

I don't think anyone seriously believes individual PAD demonstrators are being paid to protest.

What is widely believed, and in fact cannot be contested, is that PAD has access to very substantial funding indeed.This and its mysterious immunity from being subject to the law has been widely reported, and again isn't seriously disputed.

Good point younghusband -

Where does this funding come from?

And why is the PAD - in all respects - immune from being subject to the laws of the land?

The million dollar questions - me thinks -

Well certain quarters impugn that is from a sinister source.

It is clearly multiple sources aligned around a center.

It no doubt was at some point realized that Dr. T.

was a VERY loose cannon on the ship of state,

and was going to run EVERYONE on the rocks.

Temasek was his final straw.

He had been tolerated, but as his metal instability and arrogance expanded, along

with his authoritarian control of most all dissent, it took only to one match to light his pire.

He struck it with the Temasek deal, and threw on gas himself with the tax avoidance.

There is ONLY ONE person to blame for all this Mr. Moneybags himself.

The damage to democracy caused by the necessary steps to wrest back control

are regrettable, but it can never be a regression to feudal times,

it is just another Thai style side step to clean up some dung dropped in the street.

A big PPPile for sure.

The cure will not be as bad as would be the disease if ignored, but like with cancer

sometimes you have to cut deep and then let it heal.

Right now the knife is out and not finished with surgery...

But don't doubt the medical teams resolve to finish and cut out this festering wound

and malignant tumor for well and good. If not the patient dies grotesquely.

The patient was sentient and ambulatory before it will be again.

PAD is one of the scalpels, but far from the only one in use.

Pardon the rampaging metaphors, but they were apropo.

Edited by animatic

I have no dog in this fight and find the Thai's lack of unity somewhat amusing, until the point when people start to die for a "cause"...

The only message the world can see & hear is to STAY AWAY... Yes, tourism is "reported" to be only 6% - 7% of Thai GDP, but that is still several billion baht... This figure does not consider "soft" dollars that funnel their way into the Thai economy... Whole segments of the Thai economy are withering to nothing and all that people care about is who will get their turn at the trough next...

Amazing Thailand... NOT...

Yes, I asked spouse about this today and was told Thai people don't give a toss about tourist 'dollars' right now, they care more about getting themselves a proper corruption free democracy in place. Well, can't argue with that.

Well "thai" people. The educated one, they southern one, YES. But a lot of the buffalos don't care anything but the Baht.

Dude, not only you are ignorant, but comments like that shows that you are also elitist and racist...Perfect!!! You're a good little recruit for the PAD.

racist against the race of buffaloes? Don't be silly!

Somchai declines to comment on video clips of his lookalike

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat Thursday declined to comment on video clips of a person who looks like him and was seen taking a woman into a love motel.

When asked to comment on the video footage, Somchai smiled and walked into the assembly hall at Parliament at 1:45 pm.

The clip was played to the crowd at the Government House.

- The Nation / 2008-10-30

No disrespect to Khun Somchai - but there are 'Somchai clones' everywhere - he's got that sort of face -

And anyway - even if it's him afterall - dammit - he's a full-blooded Thai male -

This is what they do - married or single - it makes no difference to them -

If only Clinton would have been smart enough not to answer any questions!

PAD guards allegedly assault two men

By The Nation

Two men have filed complaints against People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) guards for beating them up.

The first complaint was lodged at the Metropolitan Police Bureau.

Khao Jaengsuk, 39, showed up there on Wednesday's night with bruises all over his left arm and his right arm in soft plaster cast.

He also sustained broken jaw and a shallow knife wound in his stomach.

Khao said six PAD guards attacked him on October 25 accusing him of being a member of an anti-PAD group in Udon Thani.

"They tried to force a confession out of me. But I am not in an anti-PAD group. In fact, I had been attending PAD rally at the Government House since early September," the 39-year-old man said.

He said the PAD guards kicked, punched and threatened him.

"They locked me up in a room but released me the next day," Khao said.

Khao's relatives sent him to the Rajvithi Hospital for treatment.

The second complaint was filed by a taxi-motorcyclist, Am Daosing.

Am, 39, Thursday told police that some PAD guards physically assaulted him on Wednesday after seeing his vehicle sported a sticker emblazoning "Fed up with PAD".

"I took a passenger from Siam Square to the Government House that day. After she got off, I ran into a group of PAD guards at the Chamai Maruchet Bridge," Am recounted, "They pointed at the sticker and dragged him into a room near a shrine".

Inside the room, the guards beat him up while questioning whether he was paid to wreak havoc at the PAD rally.

"They even took away my ATM and forced me to give them the code. After they checked the ATM and found that I had no money, they allowed me to go home," Am said.

The taxi motorcyclist had been detained for more than four hours.

After Am found his left temple swollen this morning, he sought treatment at the Police General Hospital. He then lodged a complaint with police.

"Their actions are so barbaric. We are all Thais. We can talk," he said.

Edited by sylviex

I have no dog in this fight and find the Thai's lack of unity somewhat amusing, until the point when people start to die for a "cause"...

The only message the world can see & hear is to STAY AWAY... Yes, tourism is "reported" to be only 6% - 7% of Thai GDP, but that is still several billion baht... This figure does not consider "soft" dollars that funnel their way into the Thai economy... Whole segments of the Thai economy are withering to nothing and all that people care about is who will get their turn at the trough next...

Yes, I asked spouse about this today and was told Thai people don't give a toss about tourist 'dollars' right now, they care more about getting themselves a proper corruption free democracy in place. Well, can't argue with that.

Oh, well if your wife said so it must be the opinion of everybody in Thailand. She must be qualified to speak in the name of a all population. Thanks for sorting that for us.

More seriously, I can tell you that all thai's working in tourists areas don't give a <deleted> about all these ploys going on in Bangkok. The thing they care about the most are the 50% cancellations in their hotels, bars restaurants empty,TOURISTS DOLLARS...That's what makes them live. The bunch of corrupted politicians from all boards and all parties are secondary.

the southerners can live without tourists. just their Isaan staff get the problems. And they know well where the money the corrupt politicians steal come from.

It comes from them, it is their money.

Well, with all the stupid things you say, we can see that you are not part of "the educated ones".

The southerners are the ones who own the hotels, the major tourists related businesses, so actually they are the ones who need the tourists to come spend their money, not the isaan staff.

Anyway, you seem so blinded and convinced by everything the PAD does that there is no point discussing that with you.

And?

If not financed over the bank, you just downgrade the staff and earn a bit less. Or if small business you go and help out cut rubber. There are very little poor people in the south. There are almost no labor without some branch in the family with land or fishing boat who can use a hand. It is not like the labor or Taxi driver who have no money for food if there are no tourists in Bangkok.

With exceptions most of the south can downgrade without problems. Also a result of partially following HM the Kings ideas of sufficiency economic.

Of course some built big hotels financed over the bank, but a minority. Most of these are Bangkok owner.

And believe me I know the south very well.

Oh, well if your wife said so it must be the opinion of everybody in Thailand. She must be qualified to speak in the name of a all population. Thanks for sorting that for us.

More seriously, I can tell you that all thai's working in tourists areas don't give a <deleted> about all these ploys going on in Bangkok. The thing they care about the most are the 50% cancellations in their hotels, bars restaurants empty,TOURISTS DOLLARS...That's what makes them live. The bunch of corrupted politicians from all boards and all parties are secondary.

I do rather think that my spouse is more competent to comment on matters concerning Thailand, being Thai and all, speaking the language, sharing the culture, conversing with like minded compatriots, than some boorish expat who doesn't speak a word of Thai except for ordering a beer and negotiating the night's entertainment. Don't you?

Edited by jitagon

I do rather think that my spouse is more competent to comment on matters concerning Thailand, being Thai and all, speaking the language, sharing the culture, conversing with like minded compatriots, than some boorish expat who doesn't speak a word of Thai except for ordering a beer and negotiating the night's entertainment. Don't you?

:o:D Well said

Well if your wife comes to the conclusion that "Thai people don't give a toss about tourist 'dollars' right now, they care more about getting themselves a proper corruption free democracy in place." The answer is NO she is not competent to comment on that matter.

I don't know about you and your wife's entourage. Maybe that's the number one priority were you live. But if you speak on behalf of Thai people in general, this is not a priority. There is more than 60'000'00 peoples living in this country.

Anyway, if you or your wife believe that Thailand will be a "proper corruption free democracy" when this government is ousted, then you must be really naïve.

Some of these news thread 'debates' are almost as comical as the US elections.

Keep them coming.

I'll remove myself again...some no sense provokes me to answer the same way......The only way to stop that is that I take a brake from it.

Will be here again after the next coup....

Well if your wife comes to the conclusion that "Thai people don't give a toss about tourist 'dollars' right now, they care more about getting themselves a proper corruption free democracy in place." The answer is NO she is not competent to comment on that matter.

I don't know about you and your wife's entourage. Maybe that's the number one priority were you live. But if you speak on behalf of Thai people in general, this is not a priority. There is more than 60'000'00 peoples living in this country.

Anyway, if you or your wife believe that Thailand will be a "proper corruption free democracy" when this government is ousted, then you must be really naïve.

So you are the self announced spokesman of 60 Mill Thais?

When you are longer here you will learn that there are people who are too poor and too uneducated, thanks to governments like this, which tries to keep the majority stupid so they can do their dirty business. These people specially as they don't get any information over free TV don't care much. But the others do.

And the care that more than if they get a bit more or less money. And more and more the less educated get angry with the government when they get real information. like one Sat dish with ASTV may change a village.

Less tourists is a matter of months, such a government is a matter of decades.

And don't forget who scared away the tourists: Emergency law from Samak, Bloody crackdown from Thaksins bro in law, grenades from Government supporters. Not the PAD. A lot of tourists walked to the government house and bought TShirts there.

PAD IS MORE PEOPLE AGAINST DEMOCRACY, THEY SHOULD BE TAKEN OF THE STREETS BY WHAT EVER MEANS NESESSARY, THAIS ARE SUFFERING GREATLY BECAUSE OF THEM.

Great! Well thought out post!

Who is suffering?

What are acceptable means?

oi vey!

It looks like it is all kicking off. Bomb attacks. The rumours a week or so ago that the funds had been released for this kind of thing seem to be looking truer than most rumours.

THINGS ARE CERTAINLY GREY. CHINESE DEMOCRATISTAS BEHAVIOR / AMERICAN SOCIALIISTAS BEHAVIOR. LOS IS LOST IN THE MIDDLE.

So you are the self announced spokesman of 60 Mill Thais?

When you are longer here you will learn that there are people who are too poor and too uneducated, thanks to governments like this, which tries to keep the majority stupid so they can do their dirty business. These people specially as they don't get any information over free TV don't care much. But the others do.

And the care that more than if they get a bit more or less money. And more and more the less educated get angry with the government when they get real information. like one Sat dish with ASTV may change a village.

Less tourists is a matter of months, such a government is a matter of decades.

And don't forget who scared away the tourists: Emergency law from Samak, Bloody crackdown from Thaksins bro in law, grenades from Government supporters. Not the PAD. A lot of tourists walked to the government house and bought TShirts there.

WELL DONE.

England is fast becoming the country of choice for criminal despots and dodgy businessmen. Thaksin has been found guilty by the very courts he once happily used in his vexatious litigations against opponents.

To now hear him whining about the injustice of it all is quite pathetic and sickening given his track record on human rights. Criminals on less serous charges would have been long since deported and shipped back home so what is it that allows him to stay happily in England?

If the poms are that desperate for people to prop up their overpriced football league let them have him. They will be the losers in the long run.

They're just waiting for the boat to fill up. He'll be over your way with the rest of the bread pinchers in due course :o

you know what.....I'm sick and tire of hearing about this PAD bulls%&t. thai government should just take action. any kind of action and resolve this PAD problem. they should relized that they are not doing this country any good right now. government need to turn the economy around a.s.a.p. I take no side and i dont give any govenment party or the people party any simphaty. people always want something for them self eventhough they said they are doing it for their country.

Now as fas as thai politition goes, they are all corrupted as far as i know. they are all Freaking dirty. it just depend on how they steal and how much they steal from the cookie jar.

declear martial law, restore order and get this sh#t over with. i'm against violance, but i'm in favor of order. Since police can't reallly do their job, military action seem to be the best way. Screw the media. Thai media think they are badas#s with international coverage. but when sombody put a gun to they head, let see if they going to go and cover that story or broadcast those footage. All broadcasting are under military power anyway. one phone call and they have total media black out.

they are draging the country down people, i don't care who is right or wrong. they can fight it out in court or in parliment. i could careless.

:o

Yep, needs to be nipped in the bud good and proper... storming around with clubs like they own the place, <deleted> do they think they are!

Off the casting couch

The top video in Thailand is a grainy 30-minute short starring... well, that is the question. The leading man in the video is neither a popular actor nor a famous singer. He is a slightly built older man driving around young women, and he bears a striking resemblance to the PM. The 25-minute, must-see video was viewed more than 261,000 times in less than 24 hours after it was posted on the Manager website at about 8pm on Wednesday, and there were reportedly hundreds of thousands of "clicks" on other websites where it was being featured. With rumours flying around that the scandalous footage would soon be pulled from cyber space, some people hurriedly burned it onto CDs and spread them around. The footage, shot by an unknown cameraman between March 22 and 27 this year, has become the talk of the town - probably because the man in it looks very much like the embattled PM Somchai Wongsawat, a brother-in-law of Thaksin. The clip is presented in four parts. The first, taken on March 22, shows the man picking up a woman in her 20s, in front of a convenience store, in his red Mercedes. The couple have dinner at a restaurant serving southern-style Thai dishes, giving more fuel to those who believe the man is Somchai, who is a native of Nakhon Si Thammarat. The second part features the same man driving a BMW to a love motel after picking up another woman from a house on March 24. In the third part, the man, who is wearing eyeglasses, is shown parking his white Lexus SUV at a restaurant where he has lunch with his wife, according to a female narrator who called the man the "target". The "wife" in the footage looks like Thaksin's younger sister, Yaowapa. When asked about the unusual footage yesterday, Somchai - who drives a Lexus SUV, a Mercedes and a BMW - refused to comment. He just smiled and hurriedly walked inside the

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=131737

The demo should have been stopped the moment authorities knew that a man had been murdered and a bomb had been let off.

It is irresponsible of all parties to let this fiasco continue to escalate.

And the alternative is?

Nothing says the murdered man ever contacted PAD.

Drunk in a park at night is usally a unsafe occupation.

Men are murdered so often in Bangkok, not all of them even make the press, sad to say.

It is of course sad for the dead man, and his family if any.

A bomb was thrown, actually two.

This is big part of exactly WHY they are protesting.

The people who would bomb dissent into silence, can't be allowed to win.

You need not like or defend PAD to agree with this.

End of story.

PAD guards allegedly assault two men

By The Nation

Two men have filed complaints against People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) guards for beating them up.

"Their actions are so barbaric. We are all Thais. We can talk," he said.

I have a similar "Fed up with PAD" stick on my car bumber. Guess I better remove it out. OK, PAD rules.

you know what.....I'm sick and tire of hearing about this PAD bulls%&t. thai government should just take action. any kind of action and resolve this PAD problem. they should relized that they are not doing this country any good right now. government need to turn the economy around a.s.a.p. I take no side and i dont give any govenment party or the people party any simphaty. people always want something for them self eventhough they said they are doing it for their country.

Now as fas as thai politition goes, they are all corrupted as far as i know. they are all Freaking dirty. it just depend on how they steal and how much they steal from the cookie jar.

declear martial law, restore order and get this sh#t over with. i'm against violance, but i'm in favor of order. Since police can't reallly do their job, military action seem to be the best way. Screw the media. Thai media think they are badas#s with international coverage. but when sombody put a gun to they head, let see if they going to go and cover that story or broadcast those footage. All broadcasting are under military power anyway. one phone call and they have total media black out.

they are draging the country down people, i don't care who is right or wrong. they can fight it out in court or in parliment. i could careless.

:o

Yep, needs to be nipped in the bud good and proper... storming around with clubs like they own the place, <deleted> do they think they are!

The bud is long off of the branch it has been in full flower for sometime now.

Some would say that the bombers are tied with the government. Not a good thing.

Some would say that the government would make their tenure permanent anyway they can. Not a good thing.

Some would say that Thaksin wants to control government of the country for his profit.

and doesn't care how he gets that power. A VERY bad thing

Some would say PAD may not be correct, but martial law is something preceding coming from COUPS.

Not a good thing.

Some would say declaring marshal law is the FASTEST way to a COUP.

Not a good thing.

Marshall Law, PAD goes AWAY, all the above is then possible and easier.

Go with the lesser of two evils.

Thaksin wants to break the country for revenge, or to get his money back, or to wrest back control.

Likely ALL THREE.

He cares not about the people.

PAD is standing up to his machiavellian nature at the risk of their lives,

There are side effects, but those are not as bad as letting this nutter take back control

and then exact revenge as his mood strikes.

90% of the PAD protesters are also bought. And PAD does not advocate Democracy for all only for the self righteous...get a clue!

This is a big lie, simply

All PAD supporters are there because of their own volition - they are not there simply because someone is paying them to be there.

If you think they are there solely becuase of money then you don't know anything about the PAD and it's agenda and have also - in all probability - never been anywhere near any of the protest sites.

Yes - they CAN receive free food - medical attention and small amounts of money for everyday incidental items - but a lump sum in their pocket to guarantee their continued support - no way -

Spot on. You said it yourself. The small amount (some say 300, others say 500 per day), might be little to you, but it is definately much higher than the minimum wages that most factory workers in Bangkok gets. Tax free, food and lodging provided. Why work, just join the PAD.