Thailand Recognised For Protecting Non-smokers

george

Thailand recognised for protecting non-smokers

BANGKOK: -- Thailand received a 2008 Global Smokefree Partnership Award-GSP Extraordinary Award from the Global Smokefree Partnership Steering Group (GSP) for its clear cut policy to protect non-smokers, according to Permanent Secretary for Public Health Prat Boonyawongvirot.

Dr. Prat said the worldwide non-smoking activist group a multipartner initiative which promotes effective smokefree policies worldwide, presented the award to Thailand at the first Asian Regional Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco Conference held in Bangkok October 28-31.

He said the kingdom was recognised as a country with a strong and clear-cut policy to protect non-smokers as it saw the importance of protecting the non-smoking publicfrom secondhand smoke.

Thailand had adoped the World Health Organisation's treaty for tobacco control and enforced Non-Smokers' Health Protection Act in 1992.

Under the Act, the smoking ban had enforced in air-conditioned areas as galleries, museums, shopping malls, and barbershops. It also covers public phone booths, elevators, bus stops, theaters, and children's playgrounds.

After that the government has continued to announce smoke free zones across the country.

The Ministry of Public Health issued a ministerial announcement designating more non-smoking zones that took effect in February.

According to the announcement, pubs, bars, restaurants, and all kinds of markets are smoke-free zones.

Those who smoke in designated no-smoking areas will face a fine of up to Bt2,000, and owners who allow smoking on their premises will face fines of up to Bt20,000. However, they may arrange smoking corners outdoors that do not disturb other people.

At present, Dr. Prat said, there are 56 categories of smoking-free zones.

According to the National Statistical Office, the Thai population age over 15 years old in 2007 amounted to some 51 million person, with almost 11 million smokers, 10 million men and only one million women.

However, the trend of new smokers declined during the past seven years from 22.5 per cent to 18.5 per cent.

-- TNA 2008-10-30

Smoke free zones???? what a joke, extra revenue for the bib zones is a better description. It slowed a little in the beginning, but smoke free zones are scarce in Pattaya. wanke_rs smoke cigars in restaurants? no problem, can do, is the response to any complaint.

Tourism numbers going up now, smoke free zones, and also top tourist destination award from some magazine that doesnt know what is going on , maybe send the editors to Pattani for the weekend?

Here is the Global Smokefree Partnership Steering Group's e-mail address, [email protected], a few e-mails might be a good idea. I fail to see how Thailand can receive such an award whilst the smoking ban is not being properly enforced. Probably a good idea to mention certain establishments, especially those belonging to large hotels who openly flaunt the smoking ban i.e. Huntsman Pub.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

Here is the Global Smokefree Partnership Steering Group's e-mail address, [email protected], a few e-mails might be a good idea. I fail to see how Thailand can receive such an award whilst the smoking ban is not being properly enforced. Probably a good idea to mention certain establishments, especially those belonging to large hotels who openly flaunt the smoking ban i.e. Huntsman Pub.

The smoking ban is being enforced correctly, the objective is to put as many baht as possible into the pockets of the people enforcing the smoking ban.

The smoking ban is being enforced correctly, the objective is to put as many baht as possible into the pockets of the people enforcing the smoking ban.

At least somebody has it in perpective , is that all spelt correctly ?

• 9 months later...

I know the smoking ban is being enforced in many places in Thailand, and I am thankful for that. But by far, Koh Samui is the worst offender. There are only a handful of restaurants on Samui, that even have signs posted. It is the worst location in Thailand for non-smokers. I have walked into restaurants and asked for the non-smoking section, and they look at you like you are from Mars. The normal response is, "no problem, you can smoke anywhere". Talk about missing the point. There is not a single government official that cares, or has made any effort. The mayor is lazy, corrupt, and all talk, and no action. He must be voted out next time, but still nothing will change, unless someone in power in Bangkok embarrasses them into submission. The mayor has been informed of the problem, and he promised to set up an enforcement group to go around and inspect every restaurant and bar on the island. As far as we know, not a single one was ever inspected. Talk about bluster. Talk about lack of initiative. Talk about ineffective. Talk about a lack of leadership. Talk about weak and dishonest. Someone has to do something. It has to come from the top.

Thailand recognised for protecting non-smokers

<snip>

Under the Act, the smoking ban had enforced in air-conditioned areas as galleries, museums, shopping malls, and barbershops. It also covers public phone booths, elevators, bus stops, theaters, and children's playgrounds.

<snip>

According to the announcement, pubs, bars, restaurants, and all kinds of markets are smoke-free zones.

At present, Dr. Prat said, there are 56 categories of smoking-free zones.

<snip>

-- TNA 2008-10-30

Dear Dr. Prat,

have you ever been on an inspection tour to get an opinion how this smoking ban is actually enforced?

I don't think so.

Go around and smell for yourself!

Regards from an angry non smoker

Is there any other reason for passing new laws other than revenue generation?

I don't think so.

I don't think so.

If it takes revenue generation to step up enforcement, and it comes in the way of fines for smokers breaking the laws, I'm ok with that

I'm tired of the world looking like an ashtray.

I don't think so.

Getting half hearted laws implemented and receiving awards from international organisations are more than worth it.

I have noticed that in most places I go to the smoking ban is enforced. The odd places here that do flout the law have 'connections' in certain quarters and are frequented by officers of the law who sit there - smoking!!

Such is life here in LOS :)

Yes, even if there are conflicts of interest, Thailand is by and large doing a decent job of enforcing the laws.

Or maybe the locations are showing some respect for the laws. I do not know. All I know is that every time

I travel, I am impressed by how many non-smoking places I find. Except for Samui. Here is a response to

a criticism of my last rant:

I suppose I get your point about less "nannying". Most people in Samui seem to appreciate the utter lack of law

enforcement, and competent policing. I suppose I like some aspects of that too. But, for a non-smoker who has

an allergy to tobacco smoke it would sure be nice if at least a small percentage of restaurants and bars here

enforced the law. It is the Thai law after all. I am not bringing my personal preferences to this land, and harping

on people not observing my preferences. I am only saying that it would be nice to see the law occasionally enforced,

especially when it comes to something as fabulously heinous as people blowing smoke in your face while you are

trying to enjoy your meal. I consider smoking to be the embodiment of a lack of personal discipline, and also

an extreme display of a lack of self esteem. Sabotaging the body like that could result from no other deep seated

emotion than wanting to, or being willing to destroy one's body, and a willingness to create so much pollution of

filth around them. Of course it is a habit I have no understanding of. And I am not being critical of people who

choose to smoke. I am only saying that it is not too much to ask that smokers show a very modest sense of

discipline when they are eating in a restaurant. I do not think that is too much to ask.

Yes, even if there are conflicts of interest, Thailand is by and large doing a decent job of enforcing the laws.

Or maybe the locations are showing some respect for the laws. I do not know. All I know is that every time

I travel, I am impressed by how many non-smoking places I find. Except for Samui. Here is a response to

a criticism of my last rant:

I suppose I get your point about less "nannying". Most people in Samui seem to appreciate the utter lack of law

enforcement, and competent policing. I suppose I like some aspects of that too. But, for a non-smoker who has

an allergy to tobacco smoke it would sure be nice if at least a small percentage of restaurants and bars here

enforced the law. It is the Thai law after all. I am not bringing my personal preferences to this land, and harping

on people not observing my preferences. I am only saying that it would be nice to see the law occasionally enforced,

especially when it comes to something as fabulously heinous as people blowing smoke in your face while you are

trying to enjoy your meal. I consider smoking to be the embodiment of a lack of personal discipline, and also

an extreme display of a lack of self esteem. Sabotaging the body like that could result from no other deep seated

emotion than wanting to, or being willing to destroy one's body, and a willingness to create so much pollution of

filth around them. Of course it is a habit I have no understanding of. And I am not being critical of people who

choose to smoke. I am only saying that it is not too much to ask that smokers show a very modest sense of

discipline when they are eating in a restaurant. I do not think that is too much to ask.

I wish there was a law on TV about meatballs who post the same thing 10 different times on different threads. Don't you know your excessive posting is leading to additional CO2 release into our atmosphere, causing global warming, thinning of the ozone, higher UV ray exposure and more skin cancer.

Only 3 times to be exact. Let's get our facts straight, or all credibility is lost. Sorry for the offence. None intended.

Just consider it to be an important topic, worthy of discussion. Sorry you do not.

Not posting the same stuff on different threads. At least try and be a bit more original.