Foreigner Death Jumps From Airplane With Rucksack

george

LoS - Land of Suicide :o

Oh dear! that was terrible...

The story does not seem to 'gel' somehow?

If a guy wanted to kill himself because he was so distraught, why on earth would he 'grab his bag' before jumping?? Would he even be 'thinking' about his rucksack at a time like that? I don't think so. Unless there was something very 'important' in the bag... ether to the man, or to the pilot?

Did I read somewhere that the Italian wanted to take 'photographs' on one of the islands. If so, he could have asked the pilot to 'tilt' the plane to take pictures? If he then pressed hard against the door and it was 'faulty'... the pilot and/or his bisiness would have been 'liable'. The pilot could then have throw the rucksack with 'camera/s' out the door in panic thinking he might be able to deny taking him up. Then. on re-thinking, and without the rucksack he had to make another story about the guy jumping 'with' the rucksack.

Jumping in the sea seems a bit 'fishy' to me. Excuse the pun.

You are smoking too much!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, But they're not doing themselves in on purpose leaving families, wifes, kids and spouses grieving and in the lurch. are they? :o

They are carelessly playing with other people's lives (others' own families, wifes, kids and spouses) for the small gain of a couple of minutes of their time, aren't they?

Besides, you forget that man had terminal cancer so he *was actually dying*, and not out of his own will.

And he didn't leave any wife or kid. The grieving 24yo Miss Pranom Pinsiri wasn't his wife, neither "church wedding" nor before a registrar, just the companion of the last 7 months. Probably a BG who tried to make the most out of him.

Agreed, But they're not doing themselves in on purpose leaving families, wifes, kids and spouses grieving and in the lurch. are they? :o

They are carelessly playing with other people's lives (others' own families, wifes, kids and spouses) for the small gain of a couple of minutes of their time, aren't they?

Besides, you forget that man had terminal cancer so he *was actually dying*, and not out of his own will.

And he didn't leave any wife or kid. The grieving 24yo Miss Pranom Pinsiri wasn't his wife, neither "church wedding" nor before a registrar, just the companion of the last 7 months. Probably a BG who tried to make the most out of him.

I regret doubting this story, now. And I regret suggesting it was the pilots fault - I apologise to him. Clearly this poor Italian soul was at his wits end and decided to end it all. Very sad - especially for his family who have to deal with it and probably feel they have let him down.

As for the way Thai people drive: get used to it. Tonight I drove my pickup through a mass of motorcycles - some were coming out of a side road turning right (in front of me) some were turning left and others were coming straight at me because they wanted to go straight. I wanted to turn right and did so - no problems. We all knew where the others wanted to go, everyone drove carefully and let the vehicle in front go first. My g/f actually commented that she didn't know how I managed to turn right through all the bikes, and I replied that you just have to watch where they all want to go and it's easy.

The problem with newbie farang drivers in Thailand is that they rely too much on "the right of way". To the Thai way of thinking, it doesn't exist. Whoever is on the bit of tarmac is the one who owns it, whether it's on their side of the road or yours.

I read that the world record for falling out of a plane and surviving was a russian air hostess on a aeroflot flight i think. the door fell off and 29000 feet, she got sucked out and fell into some snow covered tree and lived to tell the tail!

Nope. It was a JAT Yugoslav Airlines air hostess that survived in a free falling tail section that separated from the DC-9 plane after a bomb exploded. It was over Czechoslovakia, sometime in the 70s. Nobody else survived.

As for the way Thai people drive: get used to it. Tonight I drove my pickup through a mass of motorcycles - some were coming out of a side road turning right (in front of me) some were turning left and others were coming straight at me because they wanted to go straight. I wanted to turn right and did so - no problems. We all knew where the others wanted to go, everyone drove carefully and let the vehicle in front go first. My g/f actually commented that she didn't know how I managed to turn right through all the bikes, and I replied that you just have to watch where they all want to go and it's easy.

The problem with newbie farang drivers in Thailand is that they rely too much on "the right of way". To the Thai way of thinking, it doesn't exist. Whoever is on the bit of tarmac is the one who owns it, whether it's on their side of the road or yours.

I did get used to it. I've been for a while a professional motorbike pilot in my home country so I've been able to "defend" myself a bit better than the average newbie farang driver in Thailand.

With a bit of expertise and a big chunk of luck I managed to leave Thailand unharmed after having driven cars and motorbikes all over the country in my 3 years over there. I've even been so crazy as to ride a bicycle in BKK :o

Anyway, my sole point was to show how sick is somebody who lives in a country of, in his own words and by his own standards, "selfish bastards" yet feels the need to make such a disgusting comment on a poor fellow who just cut short his painful agony...

Selfish bastard!

So how do you call those Thais recklessly driving on the wrong side of the road just to save a couple of minutes of their precious time?.....

Don't everybody be so quick to judge.

Yes suicide might be deemed selfish but there again it might not. Every situation is different.

Using just the information available on this instance (and who knows what is accurate) it could be argued both ways.

If terminally ill with leukemia his life was going to be cut short in any event. Treatment would have been costly to prolong his life with no chance of reversal as per the doctors. If no health insurance it would have been his friends, family who would have to bear this expense. even with insurance and state provided services there would have been cost both financially and emotionally to those around him. One of the articles above staes that Alitalia sacked him because of his condition. If true this does not paint a good picture of them

If he had the right life insurance and other assets in order with will etc etc then his suicide might have not only protected him from pain and suffering but brought financial stability to those around him. Prolonging his life may have had quite the opposite

There are many aspects to every story who knows the real story.

This is just yet another sad episode

.....Anyway, my sole point was to show how sick is somebody who lives in a country of, in his own words and by his own standards, "selfish bastards" yet feels the need to make such a disgusting comment on a poor fellow who just cut short his painful agony...

OK, understand now. And congratulations on getting out of Bangkok in one piece :o I've driven my truck there, and to be honest, the drivers stick to the normal road rules (like keeping to your own lane, not overtaking on the inside, turning right at junctions without cutting the corner, etc) more than they do in Phuket.

Don't everybody be so quick to judge...... If no health insurance it would have been his friends, family who would have to bear this expense. even with insurance and state provided services there would have been cost both financially and emotionally to those around him. .....

There are many aspects to every story who knows the real story.

This is just yet another sad episode

Good points qwertyuiop, I wonder what other people on this forum would do if faced with certain slow death, possibly painful and possibly expensive. I'm not so sure I would want to keep going to the bitter end.

A good bottle of wine, a nice Cuban cigar, listning to my favourite music while the sun goes down on the beach... then wash down a bottle of tablets with the last of the wine.

Selfish... maybe... but my life and my death.

I think some people on this forum might say "Cheers" to that! :o

Anyway, my sole point was to show how sick is somebody who lives in a country of, in his own words and by his own standards, "selfish bastards" yet feels the need to make such a disgusting comment on a poor fellow who just cut short his painful agony...

So if this guy had blown the plane up, do you still say "a poor fellow who just cut short his painful agony..."

It is that goddam method he had chosen. He had no respect for other people's life. And that's why I do not have for him.

So if this guy had blown the plane up, do you still say "a poor fellow who just cut short his painful agony..."

No I wouldn't.

But since he didn't have any explosive with him nor did he blow up any airplane (jumped through the door) what are we talking about? We may just talk about pink elephants...

It is that goddam method he had chosen.
The choice of dying "airborne" has probably all to do with his profession/the passion of his life and remember he has been trying with no success to rent a small airplane without crew.
He had no respect for other people's life.  And that's why I do not have for him.

Lack of respect for other people's lives is what prompted my reply to you...

RDN, it would be impossible to force a passenger out of an airplane that way!

Airplanes have to bank in a turn to avoid sideslipping (pretty much like a speedboat, and totally unlike a car which always stays horizontal) so the resulting force on the passenger will always be towards his seat and never to the door...

On aerobatic airplanes it would be possible to create forces big enough to make somebody fall out (involving negative g-forces, making the occupants float around in the plane if not belted tight to their seats) but on the light sportplanes used over here it would rather make the plane come apart then get the passenger to fall out !!

Also, fear and survival instinct can make a person immensely strong, you would have to be very strong make the passenger let go of his grip on the airplane! I very much doubt a 50 year old pilot, busy keeping a plane in the air, would be able to do this...

Andrea (half italian/half scandinavian) had scandinavian dimensions, was 6,5 foot tall and 220 pounds. Not the kind of guy to be easily kicked out of a flying airplane... He was a good friend of mine and I know for a fact he didn't have a death wish. This whole 'suicide/accident' story smells worse than rotten fish (thai-style)!

Andrea (half italian/half scandinavian) had scandinavian dimensions, was 6,5 foot tall and 220 pounds. Not the kind of guy to be easily kicked out of a flying airplane... He was a good friend of mine and I know for a fact he didn't have a death wish. This whole 'suicide/accident' story smells worse than rotten fish (thai-style)!

But did you know that he recently was told that there was "almost no chance he would recover from leukaemia". Sometimes even good friends are not told everything. :o

Good points qwertyuiop, I wonder what other people on this forum would do if faced with certain slow death, possibly painful and possibly expensive. I'm not so sure I would want to keep going  to the bitter end.

Very good point. Hemmingway went out with a bang rather than face the long slide into terminal old age. What would any of us do when faced with a certain, slow, painful death? Very difficult decision that we all hope we do not have to make. :o