(un)reliable Big Bike Dealerships In Thailand

CroBiker

Spin-off from this topic:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Heads-Up-Tee...et-t220013.html

I think it would be fair to have single topic for rating all big bike dealers in Thailand, my appologies if there is a similar thread somewhere out there.

What would be your best 3 choices upon taking following into consideration:

1. Variety - choice of bikes

2. Customer service - pre and after sale

3. Aftermarket parts, modifications etc

4. Ability to import latest models

5. Honesty - pre-sale bike condition, warranty, legality of "green book"

6. Price

Please let us know and if possible provide location info or link to their websites.

I hear good things about Red Baron but incidentaly never had dealings with them. Bought bikes from MOTOZONE BKK just before they runaway with customers money (I was lucky) and Teera who are turning from bad to worse at the moment.

i think every big bike shop in thailand have some form of problem or another. and are about as useful as a chocalate fireguard.

from useless mechanics to useless sales staff to useless bikes.

and no i'm not bitter...........well bugger it yes i am :o

I think part of the big problem is the entrenched systems of a lack of accountability.. Not only at the dealer level when something goes bad, but at the DMV level, the customs level, etc etc etc..

Basically a bike should get registered, and then thats it.. If its legal when you buy it and have it put in your name, it should remain legal.. Not some scene where a stamp is forgotten to be moved from one book to another by some lazy clerk and its a customers problem 3 sales down the line.. The same with import papers, taxes paid, stamps of entry..

I have over the years come to the conclusion that each little fiefdom like it this way, as all the better to claim grease from the system.. Theres no incentive to have a logical, legal, clear system with rules that are stuck to. Who can profit from that (except those citizens using it).. I would say the same thing about immigration and dept of labor, etc etc etc.. Seems like its a way those with power and connections keep those without them down.

Peaceblondie they are still run by Thais so still have all the problems mentioned but just not to such a large degree.

take the tight chain ninja stories as an example. factory trained? mechanics doing such a basic mistake. no accountability. mai pen rai.

i'm sure other people can give other examples... oh just thought of one of my own. when i brought my 2nd hand cbr150 from a local shop that normally has 3-6 cbr's at any time. i thought it would be safe to get an oil change so organized that in the purchase, got the bike and did the 30 km run to nakhom pathom.

by the time i got there the engine sounded like a bag of nails. turns out when they topped it up with oil they screwed the dipstick back in to check the oil. WRONG. so they put a new piston in no problem(warranty) then i picked up the bike went down the road and i thought bugger lets check this, waited 5 mins checked it AND it was low again. back to the shop for a top up, then they were going to put a straight grade oil in <deleted>. ALL of this was after i had showed them the correct way to check the oil. but i am farang so they not believe. everything ok now cos i've found a mechanic that listens (most of the time)

Allan

Man, I'm feelin' it for the folks who THINK they have perfectly legal bikes only to find out that their Green Books were issued by corrupt DMV staff.

I'm told by a credible source that Thailand will continue to crack down on grey market imports as a result of the Free Trade Agreement that Thailand and Japan have ratified, so the days of riding with dodgy green books are numbered.

So now we see customs is cracking down on bikes that were improperly registered by corrupt DMV staff. In other words, all the people who say you can "Buy" a green book and those who take that advice had best WATCH OUT! Sure, some corrupt DMV staff may well sell you a brand new or recycled green book, but even that does not guarantee that the Green Book they sell you is truely legit. Wow- only in Thailand, huh?!

I'm coming to the conclusion that the ONLY places to buy a big bike with 100% legit paperwork is from one of the official franchise dealers like BMW, Kawasaki, Triumph, Ducati, etc, or RED BARON which seems to be the ONLY shop that imports bikes from Japan LEGALLY, and charges accordingly. (Remember that the Red Baron Group is THE largest motorcycle dealer in Japan) RED BARON JAPAN They are ridiculously expensive, but apparently that's what it takes to get a truely legit bike in the LOS...

As I've said before- Caveat Emptor!

Happy Trails one and all!

I was told by the guy who sold me my CBR that a green book would cost 70,000 baht(bike came over as spares and was rebuilt), but from what he was saying it would be a legit one. I think I'll keep riding until the law gets stiffer and they decide to take the bikes off people. So far every time I have been stopped by the police they just wanted to see my driving license, no mention of not having a plate.

I was told by the guy who sold me my CBR that a green book would cost 70,000 baht(bike came over as spares and was rebuilt), but from what he was saying it would be a legit one. I think I'll keep riding until the law gets stiffer and they decide to take the bikes off people. So far every time I have been stopped by the police they just wanted to see my driving license, no mention of not having a plate.

Sounds like so far folks up north have not been hassled too much though you may want to read the following reports from the GT Riders:

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycl...e-t269-s50.html

Here's a choice quote: "Police Major Siwagorn, based at the Highway Police office on Pattaya Sukhumvit Road, has announced that detailed checks on cars and motorbikes will now include checking for tax and insurance documents. Also, if a driver cannot prove they are the owner of the vehicle or have borrowed the vehicle from the owner, they will have the vehicle seized until proof of ownership is forthcoming."

I think if you just stay away from Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Rayong you may be fine for the time being. Good luck and Happy Trails!

What about the franchise dealerships of BMW, Triumph, and the big Yamahas? The Ducati dealership? Harley?

These are OK, legit franchises. I bought 2 years ago K1200S from Performance Motors Phuket and encountered no problems. However, bikes are pretty expensive, paid mine 1.04 mil, guess you have to pay the price for peace of mind.

What about the franchise dealerships of BMW, Triumph, and the big Yamahas? The Ducati dealership? Harley?

These are OK, legit franchises. I bought 2 years ago K1200S from Performance Motors Phuket and encountered no problems. However, bikes are pretty expensive, paid mine 1.04 mil, guess you have to pay the price for peace of mind.

OK but didnt you pst that your missing the very stamp they are now impounding bikes for not having ?? And didnt BMW phuket nearly close last year (not sure on this, a buddy with a GS650 told me) ??

Do you really think, if the shop closed, that BMW Thailand would solve a problem that comes from a closed franchise ?? Maybe they would, maybe they cant (lack of documents) but I see no reason to trust something like the Ducati dealer in bangkok more than I would any other large establishment.. After all I think Ducati sell second hand customer bikes ?? how can they verify those ?? Who stands behind those problems.

Quite simply the whole system is full of holes, theres no accountability, you never really know.. Typical Thai organization.

OK but didnt you pst that your missing the very stamp they are now impounding bikes for not having ?? And didnt BMW phuket nearly close last year (not sure on this, a buddy with a GS650 told me) ??

Do you really think, if the shop closed, that BMW Thailand would solve a problem that comes from a closed franchise ?? Maybe they would, maybe they cant (lack of documents) but I see no reason to trust something like the Ducati dealer in bangkok more than I would any other large establishment.. After all I think Ducati sell second hand customer bikes ?? how can they verify those ?? Who stands behind those problems.

Quite simply the whole system is full of holes, theres no accountability, you never really know.. Typical Thai organization.

Yes, but I was referring to Kawasaki ZX14.

BMW, not sure. Bought it brand new, bike is still under finance and original green book is with finance - BMW leasing. I do have a copy though but it's back home. Will ask my wife to check it out.

As far as I know, franchise was taken over by Barcelona Motor, most of the Performance auto employees are still there.

After all I think Ducati sell second hand customer bikes ?? how can they verify those ?? Who stands behind those problems
As far as I'm aware, the secondhand Ducatis on sale at the dealer had been originally purchased from them.

I bought my Monster from them new. Okay, the bike prices are not comparable with the West due to Thailand's customs duties but the Sales and Service have been first class.

Spin-off from this topic:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Heads-Up-Tee...et-t220013.html

I think it would be fair to have single topic for rating all big bike dealers in Thailand, my appologies if there is a similar thread somewhere out there.

What would be your best 3 choices upon taking following into consideration:

1. Variety - choice of bikes

2. Customer service - pre and after sale

3. Aftermarket parts, modifications etc

4. Ability to import latest models

5. Honesty - pre-sale bike condition, warranty, legality of "green book"

6. Price

Please let us know and if possible provide location info or link to their websites.

I hear good things about Red Baron but incidentaly never had dealings with them. Bought bikes from MOTOZONE BKK just before they runaway with customers money (I was lucky) and Teera who are turning from bad to worse at the moment.

the more i read all these stories im getting confused, you would think that buying a new bike from a main dealer that there would be no problems and all above board ......i would hate to get screwed out of money after paying good money for a new bike

After all I think Ducati sell second hand customer bikes ?? how can they verify those ?? Who stands behind those problems
As far as I'm aware, the secondhand Ducatis on sale at the dealer had been originally purchased from them.

I bought my Monster from them new. Okay, the bike prices are not comparable with the West due to Thailand's customs duties but the Sales and Service have been first class.

I'd have to agree with RusticCharm. The service and after sales support from Ducati BKK have been first rate.. I've had several big bikes in Thailand all purchases thru 'grey market' importers and although I've never had any problems. None have come anywhere near to the level of service provided by Ducati.. Plate and book arrived 3 weeks after I took delivery of my bike. Bike was delivered to my house in Pattaya on time ( they said 11am... and that's when it arrived ) Insurance arranged and better quote than I could find elsewhere. Accesories ordered, fitted and servicing all done without a hitch.. I was away overseas when my bike arrived from Italy.. The sales team emailed me with pics of the bike being unloaded/unpacked... Guessing that to sell expensive bikes to wealthy Thais they need to provide excellent service.. Mechanical team have all been trained by Ducati and take excellent care when they are working.. Workshop is spotless and airconned, work is completed on time.

The bike was more expensive than in Europe but compared to other brands available fully imported and registered it was very good value.. Shame there aren't more official dealers for other brands..

I'd like to hear about others impressions of dealing with Harley Davidson and Triumph in BKK.. Are they like Ducati or more like what you expect in Thailand ?

Edited by Pdaz

my personal recommendation for BKK is world bike zone

http://www.worldbikezone.com/

quite small shop, but very helpful staffs. they have maybe 10-15 2nd hand big bikes available at reasonable prices.

also have a good impression about the Ducati shop on Thonglor, and the Triumph dealer on RCA, but never bought a bike there.

i know that red baron has a good reputation, but when i was there and had a guy telling me "no accident" when i was examining the many not professionally fixed scratches on a bike, i felt it was time to leave this place and get my bike at WBZ.