New Expat Inbound

cochran

Hi everyone.

New to the forum. I'll be moving in to the Pattaya/Jomtien area in January 2009 for a 2-year (minimum) assignment with my employer. Have only visited Thailand once before, first week of Sept. 2008.

When I was there before, I spent most of the time looking for places to live. Wondering if any of you have any input on a couple that struck my fancy and fit my price range? One is Tara Court in Jomtien, and the other is Park Beach in Pattaya.

My preferences: I'm 36, American, single, straight, enjoy going out, drinking, etc., but would still like to sleep once in a while (currently gainfully employed, and would like to stay that way!). From my limited time there, it seemed that a Jomtien location would be a little quieter, but still convenient for bars, restaurants, etc.

Your input appreciated, and hope to meet some of you in January.

My preferences: I'm 36, American, single, straight, enjoy going out, drinking, etc.,

You should in pretty well then... :o

The one bit of advice I would give you seeing as you are working here, is dont get caught up too much in Pattaya "lifestyle"....ie out on the p*ss every night, girls everynight etc..Know of at least two guys who came to Pattaya working got caught up in the "lifestyle" and it cost them their jobs...by all means have your first 6-8 weeks kid in the candy store type thing, but dont let it go on too long, personally I had a 6 week blow out when first arriving in Thailand and then got back to a "normal" type life...

Going out and whatnot will be a weekend activity, I think. We're opening a new factory there, and startups in my company tend to make for VERY long workdays - come to think of it, I may not have many weekends either in the beginning!!

Check out the small things on your rental - Internet access, maintenance, garaging (if you have a car), so on.

And don't go for too long a contract at first - six months shoukd get you a good price. Then when you get to know te area better you may wish to move. (Or get an escape clause in your contract - but that is not so good as Thai landlords seem to expect you o stay for ever, or forfeit nyour deposit)

Thanks for the tip, especially on a shorter term. At one of the places I mentioned, six months gets the lower rate, but Park Beach wanted a year or more to get the rate right. Once we're a little closer to launch, I will call our corporate secretary (Thai) and have her negotiate the deal. I'll make sure to mention the things you brought up.

Wish i was about to embark on my 2nd trip to LOS then i wouldnt be such a cynical untrusting know it all......it'd be so much more fun.

well you could re invent yourself and tell all the bar girls its your 1st visit and your only here for a 2 week holiday,just as they have arrived from Isaan only been in Pattaya 2 weeks,should liven things up,just remember dont speak any thai to them,else they might twig.

Hi

If you are interested I have a new house in the Mabprachan Area of Pattay. It has jst been built and is a 3 bed, 4 bathroom detatched house with large private pool, large lounge, fitted kitchen, utility area, car port, gardens, all fittedwardrobes etc. etc.

I am looking to rent it out for a cheap rent.

If you are interested please let me know.

Cheers

Well, are you interested or just plain nosey and waiting to say - hah, you think that is cheap'!!!!

I am looking for a cheap rent for a decent tenant. Money is secondary to me but I am now willing to give it away.

What would you consider cheap?

I'd be curious to know what you consider cheap for this...

Well, are you interested or just plain nosey and waiting to say - hah, you think that is cheap'!!!!

I am looking for a cheap rent for a decent tenant. Money is secondary to me but I am now willing to give it away.

Great reply :o ...lots of nosey parkers around...especially when renting/selling a house/business...dont know why people do it???...cant have a very interesting life.....

Why would a single guy want to rent such a big house?

Barry

It sounds like the kind of place I (currently single) would consider buying in the near future.

If the price was right, I would (possibly) consider upgrading from my current (rather cramped) 2 room apartment, but considering the place would be vacant most of the year, it probably isn't a good idea. (My landladies take good care of my current place while I'm away).

If I was going to be here year round, and wasn't interested in buying (for what ever reason), this would be something I'd definitely be interested in it.

//edit - missed a word while day-dreaming of living in a big house ! :o

Edited by Kerryd

Both. But since you're so defensive I think it's probably going to be the latter...

I'm with Phil here and I am both nosey and I like to follow the property market.

Please post some photos and what you consider a realistic rental price. If you want to rent it are you going to vet every enquiry to gauge their level of interest? Not the best way to market your property one would have to surmise. :o

I'm with Phil here and I am both nosey and I like to follow the property market.

Please post some photos and what you consider a realistic rental price. If you want to rent it are you going to vet every enquiry to gauge their level of interest? Not the best way to market your property one would have to surmise. :o

If you are interested please PM me with you email and detauils and I can send you photos no problems, I am looking for 20,000 per month.

If you see the house it is a good price.

:D

Please let me know if you would like further information.

Kind regards.

How did this thread go from "new expat" to renting a house? :o:D

Dragonman - if you want to rent out your house go and advertise on TV classifieds, I believe I have allready given you the link.

Cheers.

Yes, i have followeed your thread and done this. Thank you for assisting with this as I was unaware I coudl do this.

Thanks again.

Kind regards.

Now back to the original posters questions....Tara Court is a nice building and is very well located. I have a friend renting a 1 br there and it is nice. He is paying 25k a month but you might do better on a 1 yr lease. There are many rentals here in the 25-30k month range. Make sure you are in a building that has security and indoor parking. If you want something furthur down in Jomtien you can look at jomtienbeachresidence.com......another one that is a bit more high end is nirvana place. These are all serviced type apartments. Renting on a 1 yr lease here puts you at a good advantage as you can cut some good deals. Hope this helps

If you are interested please PM me with you email and detauils and I can send you photos no problems, I am looking for 20,000 per month.

for a 3 bed, 4 bath house .....

Now back to the original posters questions....Tara Court is a nice building and is very well located. I have a friend renting a 1 br there and it is nice. He is paying 25k a month but you might do better on a 1 yr lease. There are many rentals here in the 25-30k month range. Make sure you are in a building that has security and indoor parking. If you want something furthur down in Jomtien you can look at jomtienbeachresidence.com......another one that is a bit more high end is nirvana place. These are all serviced type apartments. Renting on a 1 yr lease here puts you at a good advantage as you can cut some good deals. Hope this helps

for a 1 bed .....

Is there a comparison? Where - in relation to Jomtien, Pattaya and Maprachan areas is your factory going to be Mr Cochran? I don't want to know - that's what you ought to be asking unless your company is just going to pick up the rental charge.

My company is, in fact, picking up the rental charge and many other expenses, but I still have to choose where I want to live.

To respond to earlier posts, no way am I planning to avoid drinking and women!! I just have to keep everything in proper balance.