How To Make Money In Thailand...

Datsun240Z

Not true, Tyree.

What I think you mean is that it's hard for the type of uneducated and unskilled farang coming here to make a decent living.

I'm currently trying to hire for two roles - a marketing communications manager and a business development manager - for a large international organisation. Both roles are covering a number of offices in South East Asia. Both can be based in Bangkok.

Both attract salaries of around 150-180,000 per month, but I'm buggered if I can find anyone half decent.

Wish i was younger and hungry,as the business dev. manager role sounds interesting,as my previous job was national sales manager for a chemical company.Now i cant even be bothered to use capital letters or commas on here lol.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As my bankaccount resources are not endless. And I want to stay a longer while in Thailand and change my visum. What are the best options for a foreigner like me to make good money in Thailand?

I'm still looking for this breaktrough... anybody got some good tips?

Work? :)

Are you kidding me? :D I just wanted some advice from other foreigners. As I do not feel myself for a job in the lower position.

I still think you should go with opening your motorbike repair business in Bangkok between the hours of 02:00 and 04:00. Why re-invent the wheel? :D

Sell your virgin bottom on the internet to the highest bidder like that American lady did a few months ago.....

My mrs is always saying i could get good money from some rich gay man for my peachy virgin white butt !

You won't need a WP as its a one off deal and tax free!

What are your qualifications? . A very lame thread so don't expect any serious response if you cant be bothered telling us about yourself

What do you need to know about me? All I need to know is what are good ways for making (big) money in Thailand. I'm sure not everyone is willing to tell or share his story here. Just looking for some information, that's all. Or someone willing to cooperate together with me. Offcourse I understand you can make more money in Western countrys for sure. My background is in the managment area in the technical sector. But I don't see much money involved in the kind of area in Thailand actually.

As I was thinking of Export ass well, but need more information on that. :)

I also was thinking of buying Real Estate ( just the land ) here build some houses, or some kind of Resort ( Western building style, quality ) and advertise in the European/American market for renting it as holiday stay for foreigners. Offcourse you'r income will be depending on the economical situation and stability in Thailand, if Foreigner will come....

My Educations are:

- Webdesigner, IT Communications

- MBO Level 4 Mechanical Engineer

- MBO Level 4 Car,Bike Engineer.

- Some additional studies in Science and Foreign Langauges.

Bart.

If you need to ask this question, then you are not a hustler and won't be making it here unless you find a job in your chosen profession - SERIOUSLY.

Think about it, why should I or anyone else give away our secrets? You're educated which means you have a modicum of intelligence (maybe). Figure it out for yourself. You're asking a question that everyone on earth is asking.

I've done quite a few things during my stay, most of the time I have several income streams and manage to live comfortably with a family. If I can do this for close to fourteen years, without asking, then I am sorry to say you'll need to get up off your lazy duff, get those brain cells to fire off, and come up with a way to get people to pay you. Simple as that.

What are your qualifications? . A very lame thread so don't expect any serious response if you cant be bothered telling us about yourself

What do you need to know about me? All I need to know is what are good ways for making (big) money in Thailand. I'm sure not everyone is willing to tell or share his story here. Just looking for some information, that's all. Or someone willing to cooperate together with me. Offcourse I understand you can make more money in Western countrys for sure. My background is in the managment area in the technical sector. But I don't see much money involved in the kind of area in Thailand actually.

As I was thinking of Export ass well, but need more information on that. :)

I also was thinking of buying Real Estate ( just the land ) here build some houses, or some kind of Resort ( Western building style, quality ) and advertise in the European/American market for renting it as holiday stay for foreigners. Offcourse you'r income will be depending on the economical situation and stability in Thailand, if Foreigner will come....

My Educations are:

- Webdesigner, IT Communications

- MBO Level 4 Mechanical Engineer

- MBO Level 4 Car,Bike Engineer.

- Some additional studies in Science and Foreign Langauges.

Bart.

I've just read your post again and you have all the qualifications to get a job in all of the most popular industries available to farangs in Thailand, so what is your problem, and this time round i,m having difficulty believing this isn't coming out of your @rse because if you had these qualifications you should/would be working now. Maybe you are working now but are a little lazy and want extra money for not doing much.

IT - web design/freelance

Mechanical engineer - Gas/Oil companies

Sceince/Foreign languages - teach at university/international school

Real estate - pattaya/phuket/hua hin/chian mai lots of companies...

Most of these jobs will earn you a western salary and a very comfortable life in thailand, so whats stopping you.

can you tell us what you do now ?

Nothing wrong with making a request for ideas. I still dig for ideas and (free) consultation on this and several other web forums, including a couple of Thai and Chinese web forums. Costs nothing, often results in nothing, but when it does, it's all upside.

:)

Nothing wrong with making a request for ideas. I still dig for ideas and (free) consultation on this and several other web forums, including a couple of Thai and Chinese web forums. Costs nothing, often results in nothing, but when it does, it's all upside.

Sure, a forum is a great way to find out lots of different opinions ideas much more than a face to face meeting as people have more time to think and apply their brain power to the question. Its also free to boot ;-)

but the OP says things like

managment area in the technical sector

I have read his post and cannot see what technical sector he is talking about.....

can the OP or anyone enlighten me..

I would love his qualifications I would be earning great money..

Agree, but also disagree. The market is definitely there and it's a business that locals are a little more reluctant to rush into if you get a successful operation going. You can still hold events in temples. Take funeral parlour and turn it more into funeral management. It's a time when people want to be on auto-pilot and let someone else take care of things for them (choosing a coffin, arranging food services, flower arrangement, guest management, etc.). The current version almost always boils down to the old almost senile temple guy, boxes of fried rice from the nearest food stall to the temple, and the nearest mom and pop flower shop, and whatever relative gets suckered/appointed into being the guest relations person. With enough marketing, the funeral services company could be the first people called before they call the temple (which typically have no marketing that you'd have to compete against).

I'd do it myself, but I detest the sight of crying adults (one at a time, because they are in debt to me is fine... but in large groups is just depressing).

That is really a SIngapore idea . as i can tell . cos i am from singapore .

there temple provide more then you imagine ..

take the one that i done for my uncle for example .

The temple provider the freezer . so the Body can be keep for more then 7 days .

the temple arrange very beautiful large display of flower and all for just 2000 baht - it fill the large hall which i estimate can fit about 100 people

just a small break down if you still think is a good profit .

--------

2000 Flower 2000 baht

300 Ice - 6 a day ( the ice car come to fill a large BOX ( FREE from temple ) every days for 5 days .

500 FOOD - temple helper - ( very nice thai food . about 8 type enough for 30-50 people everyday ( i did buy some extra myseklf from the market about 200 plus )

800Monk prayer every days

500 Coffin car transport

alot of thai came to help me all for free . relative and friends all came to help .

i cannot recall all detail - but the whoe thing cost me less then 7,000 if i reclal correctly

in fact what cost most is the Daily prayer by the Monk . which we need to give 100bhat per monk and 200 baht for the head monk for the 5 days - and each time is 6- 7 monk i cannot recall .

bascially everything is FREE .and also alot of temple helper helping out

i did give 2000 baht to the 4 helper to be share by them

there are all over joy by it .

is not a country side temple - is a Temple in chaingmai in town .

seriously at the end of the days i get MORE then the Money gaven by friends and relative almost 20,000 i got .

i donated - 10,000 to the temple .

------

in my view - any job that pay you about 1000 - 2000 bhat a days is a average job and as it go higher you can ask for

2000- 4000 per days and so on .

---

the truth is i did think about it before .

but instead i suggest WEDDING is a much better money tree

Agree, but also disagree. The market is definitely there and it's a business that locals are a little more reluctant to rush into if you get a successful operation going. You can still hold events in temples. Take funeral parlour and turn it more into funeral management. It's a time when people want to be on auto-pilot and let someone else take care of things for them (choosing a coffin, arranging food services, flower arrangement, guest management, etc.). The current version almost always boils down to the old almost senile temple guy, boxes of fried rice from the nearest food stall to the temple, and the nearest mom and pop flower shop, and whatever relative gets suckered/appointed into being the guest relations person. With enough marketing, the funeral services company could be the first people called before they call the temple (which typically have no marketing that you'd have to compete against).

I'd do it myself, but I detest the sight of crying adults (one at a time, because they are in debt to me is fine... but in large groups is just depressing).

That is really a SIngapore idea . as i can tell . cos i am from singapore .

there temple provide more then you imagine ..

take the one that i done for my uncle for example .

The temple provider the freezer . so the Body can be keep for more then 7 days .

the temple arrange very beautiful large display of flower and all for just 2000 baht - it fill the large hall which i estimate can fit about 100 people

just a small break down if you still think is a good profit .

--------

2000 Flower 2000 baht

300 Ice - 6 a day ( the ice car come to fill a large BOX ( FREE from temple ) every days for 5 days .

500 FOOD - temple helper - ( very nice thai food . about 8 type enough for 30-50 people everyday ( i did buy some extra myseklf from the market about 200 plus )

800Monk prayer every days

500 Coffin car transport

alot of thai came to help me all for free . relative and friends all came to help .

i cannot recall all detail - but the whoe thing cost me less then 7,000 if i reclal correctly

in fact what cost most is the Daily prayer by the Monk . which we need to give 100bhat per monk and 200 baht for the head monk for the 5 days - and each time is 6- 7 monk i cannot recall .

bascially everything is FREE .and also alot of temple helper helping out

i did give 2000 baht to the 4 helper to be share by them

there are all over joy by it .

is not a country side temple - is a Temple in chaingmai in town .

seriously at the end of the days i get MORE then the Money gaven by friends and relative almost 20,000 i got .

i donated - 10,000 to the temple .

------

in my view - any job that pay you about 1000 - 2000 bhat a days is a average job and as it go higher you can ask for

2000- 4000 per days and so on .

---

the truth is i did think about it before .

but instead i suggest WEDDING is a much better money tree

Yeah, I've been a part of several funerals. The temple route with all the freebies is the equivalent of getting married at City Hall. No frills, the temple guy doesn't even dress up for the occasion. Food in a styrofoam box is the norm, and at best a Chinese style dinner set, and in my opinion not very "nice." In my opinion, people are often willing to pay for frills, in both funerals AND weddings. As for funerals though, the advantage is that there aren't hordes of people rushing in to do it... as for wedding studios that have long since expanded into wedding management, there are literally hundreds if not a thousand+ of those businesses already.

I disagree that it's a Singapore or 'X' country concept, as I've seen typical funeral parlours (often with multiple branches across states and the entire country) in the US perform this type of service.

...my vision would be something along the lines of "Heng Funeral Services".... with a modest branch office in most of Thailand's private hospitals (what better place to find potential customers), color scheme in somber colors, customer staff attractive -not too cheerful- but helpful. "Let us take care of your loved ones during these trying times, full service funeral service packages available to meet all needs and requirements." I'm not just talking about setting up the food and chairs. We also would offer car, boat, and perhaps helicopter charters for funeral caravans, the scattering of ashes or whatever other special requests they might have.... like say 21 gun salutes, fireworks shows, etc. All at a reasonable price of course.

Again, that's all just talking ideas of course. I'm not going to do it since I'm already where I always wanted to be financially, but I still enjoy idea exchange, and if I ever happen across a Heng with the characteristics that might fit a certain business concept, I'll help him/her with similar counsel.

Edited by Heng

:) if you do get a chance - try to logistic one in thailand :D

- The one and only one i been over - have 4 helper cooking thai food for us and it even come with the catering tray as well as table and also - helper cleaning up after we eat .

notthing fancy - about 7 dishes . Not buffet style but -- put on a Large tray -- for each serving of 6- 7people .

thai style

As my bankaccount resources are not endless. And I want to stay a longer while in Thailand and change my visum. What are the best options for a foreigner like me to make good money in Thailand?

I'm still looking for this breaktrough... anybody got some good tips?

Dress up in the pictured outfit. Hang about the Loi Kroh road in Chiang Mai after 8.00pm any night of the week convenient for you.

You're make a fortune.

Ha Ha, I was gonna say the same, but hang around the Silom soi 2 area...

Maybe four posters are Datun240Z taking turns, or he has multiple personality disorder; or he earned his BS in engineering at age 16 (didn't he say he's 22?), or.....

He is real enough, i got him on my msn list. You are correct about his age. In Holland its easier to go into engineering at young age. This isnt higher education but average one. For the higher ones at the earliest you can be 21 one when you finish it. The ones that are not as high you can start earlier and finish earlier.

I know the Dutch school system, im from Holland.

My wife parent is in Construction .

and many of her relative is in construction .

--

from what i heard from all the thai construction worker ..

is that there seldom want to do farang project unless is relaly well paid ,

one simple .. reason is farang just can't make up their Mind when it come to construction ..

alot of minor changes .. and there all expert all this minor changes that alot of time take up the whole week to re do it and also extra working hour and more labour and raw material needed .. is expected to pay the SAME price there started . and demand the job be done . even with him acting like a foreman . giving instruction which he do not even know what he is speaking ..

and end up a simple 3 month project is Drag on to years .. and at the end of Days.. prefer to SUE then to finish the job ..

so in the construction circle of thai worke r.. Many who take farang Job prefer to charge double or more when it come to .. taking a project ..

---

i had seen houses build for less then 300,000 bhat as beautiful build for 1.2 million . .

it boil down to finding someone you can trust and you.

and i agree with HEng that . seriously , don't be a sucker to get yourself into Constructing your own Guest house , condo , apartment of any big project unitl you started yor very own .. half rai . 5- 8 unit .. test run ..

even for 5- 8 unit is already very taxing and may cost you alot already .. so be smart not sorry at the end of the days when you run out of money .. you are the only suffering for it .

and that time you can see who is your real friends , so this is a bonus realaly whahhaa

I think Ta22 has a point in so much as western owners do have standards they expect to be met. This is generally a concept that flies over the head of Kon Thai as their education and culture isn't really hard wired for this. Consequently, having to re-do shoddy workmanship can be misconstrued as the 'owner changing their minds' - living in denial negates the 'loss of face' for the Thai builders. QED the project would take far longer to be completed and the cost of materials for repairing or re-doing sub-standard workmanship would be expected to be born by the Thais which obviously wouldn't be very welcomed by them.

It can be a very dangerous game and lives could well be put at risk. I wouldn't advise such a venture unless the westerner was very very well connected with the local police/mafia or in some cases both hats worn by the same group of people.

TA22's LAW - no 12 ( or is it 13 )

alway take forum Post with a Touch of Salt

----

the guy which is scaming you might be helping you while the guy which is helping you is scaming someone else who know .

is a weird world . but BE BRAVE

If I were a chap with no morals whatsoever I would consider investing my money in half a dozen or so sexual toys. I would then place an ad in one of the British gutter press newspapers advertising these at an incredible value £9.99. The first six lucky people would then be lucky enough to fulfill their fantasies with the afformentioned adult toys.

However, seen as though I was then out of stock, I would have to return payment to all those unfortunate enough not to have received such a bargain.

I would make sure that the cheques had "GIANT DILDO OFFER" on them.

I somehow imagine that all the cheques would not be cashed.

Easy money or what?

However having morals I am still a poor man!!

PICT0052.JPG

This is just an Example of house i seen build in the range of 300k - 400k .

---

anyway . i am not going to take any order to build you one such house and i am sure you will not be able to build one at this price range unless you stay in a construction town ( meaning where most of the people in that town work in construction and you have good relationship , and everyone help each other to build house ..

when we expand our house in sukothai .. some 30 people came to help us ..and the work got done in 6 days .

expanding . 2 room and 2 new toilet

This will depend alot on resources .

which i don't think any farang would even come close to half the price .

-- Which also give away the trade secret that there is a huge margin in Construction .

Ta22.............no offense mate but you are quite possibly one of the most boring posters that I have never read.

If I were a chap with no morals whatsoever I would consider investing my money in half a dozen or so sexual toys. I would then place an ad in one of the British gutter press newspapers advertising these at an incredible value £9.99. The first six lucky people would then be lucky enough to fulfill their fantasies with the afformentioned adult toys.

However, seen as though I was then out of stock, I would have to return payment to all those unfortunate enough not to have received such a bargain.

I would make sure that the cheques had "GIANT DILDO OFFER" on them.

I somehow imagine that all the cheques would not be cashed.

Easy money or what?

However having morals I am still a poor man!!

Been watching Lock Stock have you...

Not true, Tyree.

What I think you mean is that it's hard for the type of uneducated and unskilled farang coming here to make a decent living.

I'm currently trying to hire for two roles - a marketing communications manager and a business development manager - for a large international organisation. Both roles are covering a number of offices in South East Asia. Both can be based in Bangkok.

Both attract salaries of around 150-180,000 per month, but I'm buggered if I can find anyone half decent.

Hey Bendix, Do those positions also provide 'housing allowance', 'car allowance', and very little travel? If so PM me as I am sure I have all the qualifications.... But on the other hand, these wages are not above what I'm making now so why should I quit my current position? By the way, who really wants to live in BKK?

P.M me for an interview Bendix, I'm sure I have the minerals to fill your position(s).

Dawg

Dont understand why you people come to Thailand.

Because my wife is from Thailand. I did not wanted this at first place. But now I prefer to stay in Thailand.

Ethically, you should scracth teaching English off of your short list.

I have a good amount of money saved from income earned via the internet. I would really like to be able to open a business that, if successful, I can then replicate the business system, sit back, micromanage and let everyone else make me money while I play the Bank. Right now, although I am making very good money, every satang is earned directly by myself as my profession is skilled based. I have many ideas. I feel like there are infinite opportunities for success here. The thing that holds me back is not being able to speak Thai... do those of you with businesses outside the tourist industry speak Thai very well? Do you think it is mandatory to be able to read Thai or just speak it to run a business here. What about just hiring a personal assistant who is fluent in English, do you still feel like you would miss out on so much that your ability to successfully implement various business ideas would be hampered?

Edited by JohnGotti

Bart, sorry to hijack your thread.

Like Bart I am also looking to find steady work again in Thailand. Unlike him, I DO wish to work in the Oil & Gas and Petro industry.

Anybody here work for a Oil & Gas and/or Petro company? I have CUEL and Foster Wheeler on my list to apply to.

Any other outfits I should approach?

Intro letter and resume available upon PM request. My experience lies in materials management of structural steel and piping.

Veel succes Bart.

:) if you do get a chance - try to logistic one in thailand :D

- The one and only one i been over - have 4 helper cooking thai food for us and it even come with the catering tray as well as table and also - helper cleaning up after we eat .

notthing fancy - about 7 dishes . Not buffet style but -- put on a Large tray -- for each serving of 6- 7people .

thai style

What are you trying to say here? Not sure quite what you mean trying to use 'logistic' as a verb.

If you mean to "visit," or "attend," yes, that's what I was talking about, Thai funerals that I have attended, among several in other places as well.

:D

Edited by Heng

"Human psychology never ceases to amaze me. I find it remarkable that someone posts on an internet site of strangers asking (hopefully) for the holy grail which will transform their lives, and then getting shitty when he doesnt get the replies he wants.

Fascinating. Truly fascinating. "

you can never know :)

for the OP, open a website, in your own language or in any other, and try to make money out of it.