Looking For A Bicycle

geax

Hello,

I would like to buy a road bike or mountain bike with at least 21 speeds.

It's for every day small trips but also for more intensive trips 2 or 3 times a week like going up Doi Suthep.

I prefer road bike but it seems it is not so common in Chiang mai, so mountain bike is ok.

I was told that bicycles made in thailand are not good (bad quality of the ball bearings). Do you confirm ?

I am looking for a second hand one because I don't want to spend too much: the bicycle I was renting has just been stolen ! :o

Thanks.

Pierre

Hello,

I would like to buy a road bike or mountain bike with at least 21 speeds.

It's for every day small trips but also for more intensive trips 2 or 3 times a week like going up Doi Suthep.

I prefer road bike but it seems it is not so common in Chiang mai, so mountain bike is ok.

I was told that bicycles made in thailand are not good (bad quality of the ball bearings). Do you confirm ?

I am looking for a second hand one because I don't want to spend too much: the bicycle I was renting has just been stolen ! :o

Thanks.

Pierre

Pierre,

You can buy a new Trek 3900 for around 9000 baht at Jacky Bike.

I guess that bicycle would cost more than a small scooter!! We Thais normally use a 1000 Baht so called housewife bicycle for QUICK STOP at nearby 7-11 or fresh market. My advice is getting one of those cycle for every day use, you can leave it as nobody bothers to steal (of couse it's better to put some locks on) and you keep an expensive one INSIDE your house or apartment building.

Hope this helps.

My wife has one of those "housewife" bikes. Works well for her and other midgets. There are several places to buy used mountain bikes.If you are at the Tesco on the Super Hwy, turn left on the next street and follow it until you are just before the moat on the right hand side look for a place with about a hundred used bikes

Get a cheap bike for everyday use and another good one for riding up the mountains which you will keep inside the house and never let out of your sight. Ever. Also, a tip from one of my friends who commuted by bike in Singapore. After buying a cheap bike, use black tape and a few other 'accessories' to make it look as old and cruddy as possible. This way, people are more likely to leave your bike alone.

Thank you for your replies.

I already went to the shop near Tesco but didn't find any good bike.

So I understand from what you said that I have to be very careful if I get a "good" bike.

It seems that 9000/9500 baht is the minimum price for a non thai bike (Trek 3900 or Merida V5).

Two stores selling used bike on Assadathorn road north of the Si Phum corner, but before the car dealers and located on the west side of the road. Greenside is right about the value of said bikes; considering one for my son from there, only as he's growing like a weed right now.

Have you tried LA bike near the Si Phum corner? We compared prices on good mountain bikes and found them right on par to everybodies best deal - and theu offered to through in fenders, water bottle cage, lock and light.

Edited by Fishenough