Best English Exam / Qulification For Thai National.

Eastender

What exam or qualification is best for a Thai national as evidence to a Thai employer of their ability to speak, understand, read and write English. Is it the TOEIC? I'm thinking here of my wife who is now living with me in the UK, not formerly studying English, but becomming more fluent. When, or before, we return to Thailand she would like to gain a qualification to help her find work, perhaps in an office or in tourism.

Thanks,

Robin.

TOEIC is a test of English in a vocational context. It's usually required by employers such as airlines, hotels etc. You are graded by the number of points you score.

TOEFL is more a test of the academic use of language. It may be requested by employers but is more likely to be a condition of entry to study at university abroad. You are graded by the number of points you score. It's owned by ETS from the States.

IELTS is a test of the use of language in an academic context although there is a general version used for employment (listening to lectures, arranging accommodation etc; writing reports and discussions; interviewed; pulling ideas and information from reports) Speaking, reading, writing and listening are graded from band 1 to 9. 6 is usually the minimum to be accepted for study at university abroad. It's owned by UCLES, the British Council and IDP of Australia.

Edited by Loaded

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest problems for self-educated Thais planning to take the TOEIC test and who learn their English skills from spouses, boyfriends or even living in an English speaking country, is that they don't have the required business and office vocabulary that is focused on in the test.

Have her READ... Read everything and anything... but especially things business related... Financial Times, Wall Street Journal, Editorial pages.... Read and discuss what she read.

Writing is not a part of the regular TOEIC test and is only usually taken if the Employer requires it....

Listening is also an important component, so she should listen to Business channels on Cable TV...

You can also get her the various TOEIC Test Prep courses that are sold in your local bookshop... They come with CDs and are pretty good.

I gave a one-on-one TOEIC course, and between you and me it was a waste of time and money for the student... without the necessary vocabulary and listening skills there was little my student could get out of the course.

BTW, To get a Job with Thai Air she would need a TOEIC score of 600-700, depending on the position.

CS

Loaded's basically nailed it- I would say that IELTS is getting a lot more credibility among many universities, even a few in the States, and it is a much better indicator of a student's real functioning in English.

The O/P asked about a test that is used by Thai Employers to judge competency in the work environment;

for that TOEIC is the standard.

In the USA/Canada for University entrance, I've yet to see requests for anything but TOEFL, which under the new on-line test, would be almost impossible for even high-level Thai students to pass. No multiple-choice, no guessing.

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

Loaded's basically nailed it- I would say that IELTS is getting a lot more credibility among many universities, even a few in the States, and it is a much better indicator of a student's real functioning in English.

The O/P asked about a test that is used by Thai Employers to judge competency in the work environment;

In the USA/Canada for University entrance, I've yet to see requests for anything but TOEFL, which under the new on-line test, would be almost impossible for even high-level Thai students to pass. No multiple-choice, no guessing.

CS

You're correct that TOEIC is probably the most recognised by employers. The IELTS General test is also used as well.

Nearly all US universities accept IELTS. "Over 1,700 US universities and professional bodies accept IELTS scores as proof of English language skills. Over 1,000,000 people a year are now using IELTS to open doors throughout the English-speaking world and beyond." Link here: http://www.ielts.org/usa.aspx

Edited by Loaded

CS

The OP asked about which test is the best evidence of a Thai national's ability to speak and actually use English. I would argue that the IELTS functions better in that regard than the TOEIC, for various reasons including the presence of an actual interviewer to judge speaking ability, not which test is currently most accepted or famous.