Test Drive Of Pajero Sport And Fortuner

Disting

Took the new Mitsubishi Pajero sport and the new model Fortuner for a test drive today. I had high hopes for the Mitsu as it would have been good too have had some serious competition for the Fortuner. The MU7 and Everest are not in the same class, having driven both, the ride is very pickup like.

On first look round the Pajero looks good. I like the way the rear most seats fold into the floor to give an unrestricted load area. Also the centre console top is padded. Seems a small thing but a nice touch to have something soft under ones arm. unfortunately within 5 seconds of starting it I knew I could never own one. The gear shift for the 4wd is on the right side of the console unit and was pressing against my leg. As all these 4wd shifts vibrate, it would drive me mad. Think of a vibrator being pushed against your leg all the time you drive, might suit some people but not yours truly. The ride was not as good as I had hoped and was quite noisy, both suspension wise on hitting bumps and general road and engine noise. They also havnt put the nice extras on, like stereo controls on the steering wheel or parking sensors.

Dropped that back and went straight to Toyota. They had the top of the line 2WD model as a tester. I know from the Vigo that the 4WD shift is on the left side of the console so that problem wasnt there. Seats are more comfortable, quieter ride and handled bumps better. I did the same circuit as the Mitsu and even the missus, whos car knowledge is the colour, said it felt better and was quieter.

The rearmost seats hang when stowed so not quite as much room in the back. Had more extras like the steering wheel controls and cruise control which i like. makes those runs up and down to bangkok much easier. parking sensors as standars and optional corner sensore, a good idea for the missus. Also had a good chat with the showroom people about colours. I have seen some around in colours that are not in the brochure. Was told that you can do a special order for any colour in the range, months wait and have to pay a deposit.

The Navi version is a lot more, 110000 Baht more than the next top model. Seems to be just for a DVD 7 inch screen Satnav player that has a bluetooth phone built in. Think I will give that a miss. Can always put an after market steroe in if I want a screen type unit.

so it looks like I will be getting a Fortuner after all. Hondas styling people must have taken magic mushrooms when they did the new CRV. How they went from the very handsome mark 2 to the eyesore mark 3 I dont know. Chevrolet I think will not hold its value even though it is quite a nice car.

So it appears Mitsubishi waited three years to produce a rival to the Fortuner but in that time didn't purchase one to see what they had to beat, although i'm sure that is not true you wonder about who runs these rival companies to Toyota and Honda as they consistently market flawed designs and probably wonder why they haven't a larger market share. Do they have new car clinics to apraise future models? if they do are falangs like Disting invited i doubt they rely on Thais who would not tell them somethings rubbish it not intheir culture!. So the Fortuner will continue to rule a boring pity.

Took the new Mitsubishi Pajero sport and the new model Fortuner for a test drive today. I had high hopes for the Mitsu as it would have been good too have had some serious competition for the Fortuner. The MU7 and Everest are not in the same class, having driven both, the ride is very pickup like.

On first look round the Pajero looks good. I like the way the rear most seats fold into the floor to give an unrestricted load area. Also the centre console top is padded. Seems a small thing but a nice touch to have something soft under ones arm. unfortunately within 5 seconds of starting it I knew I could never own one. The gear shift for the 4wd is on the right side of the console unit and was pressing against my leg. As all these 4wd shifts vibrate, it would drive me mad. Think of a vibrator being pushed against your leg all the time you drive, might suit some people but not yours truly. The ride was not as good as I had hoped and was quite noisy, both suspension wise on hitting bumps and general road and engine noise. They also havnt put the nice extras on, like stereo controls on the steering wheel or parking sensors.

Dropped that back and went straight to Toyota. They had the top of the line 2WD model as a tester. I know from the Vigo that the 4WD shift is on the left side of the console so that problem wasnt there. Seats are more comfortable, quieter ride and handled bumps better. I did the same circuit as the Mitsu and even the missus, whos car knowledge is the colour, said it felt better and was quieter.

The rearmost seats hang when stowed so not quite as much room in the back. Had more extras like the steering wheel controls and cruise control which i like. makes those runs up and down to bangkok much easier. parking sensors as standars and optional corner sensore, a good idea for the missus. Also had a good chat with the showroom people about colours. I have seen some around in colours that are not in the brochure. Was told that you can do a special order for any colour in the range, months wait and have to pay a deposit.

The Navi version is a lot more, 110000 Baht more than the next top model. Seems to be just for a DVD 7 inch screen Satnav player that has a bluetooth phone built in. Think I will give that a miss. Can always put an after market steroe in if I want a screen type unit.

so it looks like I will be getting a Fortuner after all. Hondas styling people must have taken magic mushrooms when they did the new CRV. How they went from the very handsome mark 2 to the eyesore mark 3 I dont know. Chevrolet I think will not hold its value even though it is quite a nice car.

Thanks for a nice report, I just ordered the Fortuner after test drive both cars aswell.... I did not went for the Navi, I will install after market stereo... I will get my Fortuner in December!

BR

Micke

Hello,

Choosing a car is a difficult thing. Of course, design, space, equipment, engine durabilty, fuel consumption... are very important. but for me, what really matters is handling and safety!

As I drive a CRV, I would say is by far the best car you mentioned in your post http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=5I2EP7VRL7Y

Ok, now, regarding bigger SUVs... We got the Fortuner, Mu7, Pajero sport, Everest, all are built from pick ups.

The Mu7 is built from the Dmax http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=pCtqFPfuKWs it seems poor...

the Everest is made from the Ford Ranger (I also drive a 2007 for Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4 and it's a nice drive) http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=ztZNwMo-l30&...feature=related

Now, here are the 2 models you seem to hesitate for:

The Pajero sport is built from thre Triton of course http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=1mGvInhDDbU&...feature=related

The Fortuner from the Hilux http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=mjsVV02ulIY

Now, whats can make you think a little bit? = http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=aZF8N9NItHI

Hope it helps ^^

Cheers

I'm too lazy to watch so many videos, but if the point is about Vigo's elk test - it's a last years news - Fortuner now has a Vehicle Stablity Control system while Pajero doesn't. Triton in the test had one, but it's not available on Thai models.

I wish there was an alternative to the Fortuner, but (apart from the CRV in some circumstances) there really isn't.

I think the Fortuner is an ugly SUV, even more than the CRV, but I really need the extra room in the Fortuner.

There are so many other types of SUV on the world market, it's a shame that some of them are not available (at reasonable prices) on the thai market.

Chevy Tahoe, Nissan Pathfinder/Armada, Murano (a bit small), even Ford have a new one out (Flex).

I'll probably just stay with a covered pick-up!

I wish there was an alternative to the Fortuner, but (apart from the CRV in some circumstances) there really isn't.

I think the Fortuner is an ugly SUV, even more than the CRV, but I really need the extra room in the Fortuner.

There are so many other types of SUV on the world market, it's a shame that some of them are not available (at reasonable prices) on the thai market.

Chevy Tahoe, Nissan Pathfinder/Armada, Murano (a bit small), even Ford have a new one out (Flex).

I'll probably just stay with a covered pick-up!

I totally agree, why get an X3 when you can get a Porsche Cayenne Turbo in Europe...

I'm too lazy to watch so many videos, but if the point is about Vigo's elk test - it's a last years news - Fortuner now has a Vehicle Stablity Control system while Pajero doesn't. Triton in the test had one, but it's not available on Thai models.

Thank you Plus to update it ^^

If there is a VSC, then let's rock'n'roll for the Fortuner ! But do you know if there's side airbags? or even knee airbags?

Cheers

Have you considered VOLVO? They are built here in Thailand. The XC90 is basically a great car, lot of space, way saver than any Fortuner, Pajero amd other truck derivatives. (Imagine, the Pajero weighs 2.2 tons and has drum brakes in the rear!!!)

But of course a lot more expensive. At least new.

There are many second hand XC90 around, have a look.

Only airbags on the Fortuner are front passenger and driver.

Question for anyone with car stereo knowledge. Fortuner has stereo controls on the steering wheel, if you were to put a different stereo in, can they connect these controls up. I would hate to have a stereo shop guy tell me yes no poblem then come back to find it doesnt work.

Biggest difference for me about the Mitsu/Fortuner verses Everest and MU7 is the MU7 and Everest are literally the same chassis, suspension wheelbase etc that the pickups are on. The Pajero and Fortuner have a shortened wheelbase, coil sprung suspension at the rear aswell as the old cart springs. Fortuner also got traction control, bigger wheels allowing the front discs to be enlarged and vented. Brakes on it felt very good, considering drum brakes on the back. Makes a huge difference when driving them. I understand that the rules on Pickup based vehicles were relaxed slightly allowing the wheelbase to be shortened and also the mods to the rear suspension. I guess Ford and Isuzu were too far into the development of theirs to alter them. Guess it shows in the sales figures though.

The owner of Cockpit in Buri Ram has a vigo that he has had converted to vented discs all round. I do wonder how stable it would be under emergency braking, whether the back would come round or not.

the rules on Pickup based vehicles were relaxed slightly allowing the wheelbase to be shortened and also the mods to the rear suspension. I guess Ford and Isuzu were too far into the development of theirs to alter them.

Not at all, Isuzu has been selling its Dmax truck for nearly a decade now, only giving it minor updates every two months. They are so far in the development that really new, next generation Isuzu has been postponed and postponed and postponed and no one knows when it will finally come out. Maybe then MU7 will get coil springs in the back, but it's not guaranteed either - just look at Ford.

Ford has a brand new Ranger model, taking full advantage of new rules, but Ford had decided that rebuilding Everest based on that new Ranger is not worth the investment, so they, like Isuzu, simply upgraded some components and kept the old platform.

It think this is basically correct, I haven't been following every Everest update.

Only airbags on the Fortuner are front passenger and driver.

Question for anyone with car stereo knowledge. Fortuner has stereo controls on the steering wheel, if you were to put a different stereo in, can they connect these controls up. I would hate to have a stereo shop guy tell me yes no poblem then come back to find it doesnt work.

Biggest difference for me about the Mitsu/Fortuner verses Everest and MU7 is the MU7 and Everest are literally the same chassis, suspension wheelbase etc that the pickups are on. The Pajero and Fortuner have a shortened wheelbase, coil sprung suspension at the rear aswell as the old cart springs. Fortuner also got traction control, bigger wheels allowing the front discs to be enlarged and vented. Brakes on it felt very good, considering drum brakes on the back. Makes a huge difference when driving them. I understand that the rules on Pickup based vehicles were relaxed slightly allowing the wheelbase to be shortened and also the mods to the rear suspension. I guess Ford and Isuzu were too far into the development of theirs to alter them. Guess it shows in the sales figures though.

The owner of Cockpit in Buri Ram has a vigo that he has had converted to vented discs all round. I do wonder how stable it would be under emergency braking, whether the back would come round or not.

Yes they can hook up the stereo to the steering wheel its just an adapter you buy for the model of stereo. I put a Sony DVD system plus a roof mount DVD for my Fortuner TRD Smart everything runs off the steering wheel.

I've been running a new spec Fortuna 3.0 v for about 6 weeks now and I'm still pleased with it. Drove it to Hua Hin recently and thought it was comfortable, economical and quiet on a decent run. Brakes still not great and it's not exactly spritely, but a good car. I looked at the new Pajero Sport in a dealer when in Hua Hin ... nice modern interior but a bit plasticy looking and rear as well as middle row seats are cramped compared to the Fortuna. Thanks for posting the review, I was wondering what it would be like to drive.

- Glad I didn't wait before ordering my Fortuna. :o

Took the new Mitsubishi Pajero sport and the new model Fortuner for a test drive today.

So how easy is it in Bangkok or Thailand to actually get in a car a test drive it first? I asked this once before and the replies were generally negative?

Pretty easy, as long as the demo vehicle is available. That's for mass market vehicles anyway. Don't know how easy it would be to test drive a new ferarri though!

There is one car you have not yet mentioned - the new Ford Escape. I took one for a test drive yesterday - fantastic! I also drove the Ford Everest to compare - no contest. The new Ford Escape is a superb vehicle, drives well, handles well, great suspension and super automatic gearbox. All I need now is a few extra pennies in the bank and I will be buying one soon.

There is one car you have not yet mentioned - the new Ford Escape. I took one for a test drive yesterday - fantastic! I also drove the Ford Everest to compare - no contest. The new Ford Escape is a superb vehicle, drives well, handles well, great suspension and super automatic gearbox. All I need now is a few extra pennies in the bank and I will be buying one soon.

Hello,

Thank you for your comment. In any case, if you try a honda crv, could you please give us your feedback between this 2 competitors? (I drive a 2007 Crv but no time to compare it with the new escape)

Thank you

What sort of money are we looking at for the top spec CRV and Escape. I still cant get to like the new CRV styling. I really would not like to see it outside my house every day. Will have to see if my local Ford showroom have an escape.

Test drives are no problem. Some places the wife has had to sign a waiver, others they want a copy of your license. Have never been refused a test drive. Normally the problem comes from the wife along the lines of "test drive again... Why you want test drive, you not buy this one." I try to explain that I wont buy a car based on hearsay like wot they do. So many times I hear Isuzu number 1 in Thailand Isuzu very strong etc etc, Bless 'em.

What sort of money are we looking at for the top spec CRV and Escape. I still cant get to like the new CRV styling. I really would not like to see it outside my house every day. Will have to see if my local Ford showroom have an escape.

Ford Surin have the new Escape available every day for a test drive. Prices for the Ford Escape 4x4, 2.3 EI engine, fully-loaded 1,299,000 and with leather seats (the 4x2 not fully-loaded is 1,099,000 fabric seats). (Check out Ford Thailand web site - easy to find). Last price I had for the top-of-the-range CRV 2.4 EL engine was 1,379,000. I have not had a test drive in the new CRV although I have driven the older model. I think you will find the new Ford Escape quite different to the CRV. Still having good dreams about the test drive in the Ford. :o

It's not exactly "new" Escape, it's as new as "platinum" Dmax - it's still based on the platform that has been replaced elsewhere ages ago.

Same goes for Nissan Explorer or what it's called - they are still ten year old cars with a few cosmetic updates here and there.

Also we moved into a smaller vehicle category - Pajero, MU7 and Fortuner are much bigger seven seaters with three rows.

Had my first in the "flesh" oncoming encounter with the Pajero Sport today first reaction was, that red plated Triton Pickup's going briskly wasn't until we were virtualy bonnet to bonnet that i realised it wasn't a pickup which confirmed my initial thoughts that Mitsubishi have been far too conservative with the styling in a market where all the other manufacturers suv's look indivdual and easily distinquished from their pickup roots in a frontal view.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Toyota is introducing the Fortuner Diesel manual in India in Feb 2009. I am driving a CRV mark2 and want an oil burner as diesel is 40% cheaper than petrol in india. My main reason for changing is I have 2 small kids and a maid and CRV is a 5 seater wheras Fortuner is 7 seater and the mileage. I have 2 queries:

1. What is the milegage of the fortuner (my CRV gives 6km per litre - petrol)?

2. How is the suspension of the Fortuner? (My CRV rolls a lot on the highway)

3. Is is possible to have roof rack as an after market fitment?

Thanks!

Kapil Kaaiser

Hi!

Toyota is introducing the Fortuner Diesel manual in India in Feb 2009. I am driving a CRV mark2 and want an oil burner as diesel is 40% cheaper than petrol in india. My main reason for changing is I have 2 small kids and a maid and CRV is a 5 seater wheras Fortuner is 7 seater and the mileage. I have 2 queries:

Thanks!

Kapil Kaaiser

6km/L. ???! There is something definitely wrong... Are you driving only in traffic jams? even, it's a crazy figure. I drive a BMW e90 330i, its fuel consumption in city is around 7-8km/l (3l. 258 hp). I also drive a 2007 CRV (2.4 166 hp) and the fuel consumption in traffic jams is around 9km/l.

You may need to check it up (tires pressure...aso) I don't know but this figure is very surprising. :o

Yup!

That's true. I have a 2.4l with auto. I did a trip out of Delhi to jim Corbett National park 650kms round trip and mostly at 100-110km/h and I got only 7kmp/L. Delhi traffic is not jams but the ac is on at 26C all the time. Tire pressure is 30 in city and 32 on highway trips with luggage on roof rack. now you know why i want a diesel... :D:D:D

Hi!

Thanks!

Kapil Kaaiser

6km/L. ???! There is something definitely wrong... Are you driving only in traffic jams? even, it's a crazy figure. I drive a BMW e90 330i, its fuel consumption in city is around 7-8km/l (3l. 258 hp). I also drive a 2007 CRV (2.4 166 hp) and the fuel consumption in traffic jams is around 9km/l.

You may need to check it up (tires pressure...aso) I don't know but this figure is very surprising. :o

Hi!

Thanks!

Kapil Kaaiser

My experience re your questions (after two years and ~27,000 km):

1/ 10 km/l doing almost exclusively city driving (A/T)

2/ I like it, it is fairly firm compared to passenger cars but I like that, and it feels rock steady on the highway

3/ Yes, I did

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Chiang Mai and we recently did a demo of the CRV and 3.0 Fortuner. I share exactly the same sentiments of an earlier poster re the differences between the two vehicles. I had my heart set on a CRV (I got over my dissatifaction with its styling), but in the end:

1. The Fortuner is a lot roomier and seems to have ample refinements as standard equipment. It is no longer the 'plasticty" vehicle that I thought it to be and improvements made over previous models are worthwhile.

2. The Toyota dealer here (Chotana Road) is far more responsive and easier to work with; seems willing to haggle too.

3. The CRV is roughly THB 80,000 more for the the same fitments/capabilities (we don't want the Navi feature either). Honda will not negotiate at all on price but will toss-in the first-year premium on First Class insurance as part of the basic price. I have factored this in in my THB 80K comparison.

4. The CRV rides slightly rougher/sportier/harsher than I expected it to; the Fortuner was quite comfortable--more so than I expected and much better than the 2006 model we tested a few years back. To be fair, we did not take these SUVs out on a smooth highway, but limited our test drive to the local roads around the perimeter of our golf course.

We asked each dealer to bring their demo vehicles out to our home 10-km away in Mae Rim for the test drive and they both obliged. No papers to sign or handing over driving licenses etc. Very pleasant experience.

The icing on the cake is the fact that I can replace the stock radio/CD changer on the Fortuner with one that I want (I need to connect an iPod) and it is great to learn that we can order a custom color. We didn't ask the dealer about this possibility and he didn't volunteer it. Does anyone know the extra surcharge to order a custom color? We are interested in pearl white--same as used on the new Camry.

We own a 2004 Camry and have had a very positive experience with it. Toyota quality has been impressive. I have no nits to pick and feel we got excellent value for the price (in Thailand). Because we deal with the local dealer for all maintenance, buying another Toyota product seems to make good sense to us. Finally, I am curious about the comparisons between the Ford Escape and the Fortuner. Yes, they represent different vehicle classes, but we have a Thai neighbor who loves his Escape and it's worth it for us to check it out before finalizing our buying decision.

Hi!

Thanks!

Kapil Kaaiser

My experience re your questions (after two years and ~27,000 km):

1/ 10 km/l doing almost exclusively city driving (A/T)

2/ I like it, it is fairly firm compared to passenger cars but I like that, and it feels rock steady on the highway

3/ Yes, I did

/ Priceless

Priceless, did the roof rack add much wind noise to your driving experience? Is it tolerable or is it a nuisance? Thanks.

Have you considered VOLVO? They are built here in Thailand. The XC90 is basically a great car...

But of course a lot more expensive. At least new. There are many second hand XC90 around, have a look.

No doubt the XC90 is a nice looking and very safe vehicle...the only problem is how expensive they are in Thailand (even those assembled in Thailand). They are not just expensive new...used too. A quick surf for used ones in Thailand brought-up a 2005 model for 4 million baht and a 2003 model (that's 5 years old) for slightly over 2 million! :o

I think I would rather take a top-spec new Fortuner for less than 1.5 million.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe