Barack Obama Elected President Of USA

george

QUOTE "Barack Obama may not be a natural-born U.S. citizen, which under the Constitution would make him ineligible for the presidency. The charge consists of two elements: (1) He was not born in Hawaii, as he has claimed, but in Kenya. His mother and father were visiting Kenya, and she was unable to fly back to Hawaii for his birth because she was in an advanced stage of pregnancy. (2) U.S. law at the time said that a child born overseas to a U.S. citizen parent and a non-citizen parent was a natural born U.S. citizen only if the citizen parent was at least 19 years of age. Ann Dunham Obama was 18 when her son was born. The article also says that Obama's Kenyan relatives, his paternal grandmother, half-brother and half-sister, have claimed that he was born in Kenya." UNQUOTE

The law is the law no matter how silly it may sound. Remember how Samart got his PM chair remove for being a cook? Or how Thaksin sentence to jail for just signing concent for his wife to tranfer some land which he did not bought? (His wife bought it and found not guilty for buying it).

Official USCIS or State Department website link, please. Otherwise, shut your trap. Please. :o

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very optomistic that he is going to a good job of running the country.

Don't see where his color or his religion has any bearing on the fact that he is a good man and will certainly do better than his predecessor.

He has been left with a huge deficit to worry about. He can reduce cost of running the country, increase taxes or continue to ignore it like it has been for the last 8 years. A combination of the first two seems the most practical.

Good luck to him, I'm happy to see him as president elect.

you make me laff pikey :o

Still with the rude slang .....

Obama was a clear choice for change and won on policy not on race .... what I am proud of is that a country that I never ever thought could look past race.

What has this got to do with Thailand?

Well as others have said the result may be relevant to Asian trade policy and it may make a difference that we will now have a US President who briefly lived in Jakarta. But the big thing to me is that this is a strong counterpoint to the stuff we have been hearing in some quarters about the failure of Western democracy and its limited relevance for the 'new politics' in Thailand. In all kinds of ways this was a good election. There were no hanging chads this time. The turnout was high. The popular vote and the electoral college point in the same direction. Although it was passionately contested, the campaign wasn't by modern standards dirty. To his great credit, Senator McCain did not play the race card and he made a genuinely gracious concession speech. And incredibly the candidate elected does not come from a privileged background and does not appear to be in the pocket of the industrial-military complex. Thailand should observe and admire.

Just because he is dark skinned doesn't make him 'black', as he is in fact mixed.

Next up, calling Luk-Krungs 'white' if they are elected to something here in Thailand? Or are they basing this race-thing on looks only, not blood?

Anyway, congrats to Obama, now show the people how wrong they where. Even a democrat talking about hope and change will when shows come to show act like all the previous office holders did.

The tears of joy and relief in so many eyes said it all. America yearns to be respected again. Barack Obama, as evidenced in many of the posts here and with the hundreds of celebrations occurring in the world, will serve to unite the globe. I already feel that the target placed on my back by George Bush has gotten dramatically smaller.

There is so much work to be done to heal the country, but I believe Obama has the ability to lead us in the right direction. The vast number of younger voters fervently supporting Obama, I think demonstrates that America's future is no longer bleak, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm proud once again to be an American today.

I am very happy with this outcome, but this man has got a long, hard road ahead of him. Things are really in a terrible mess and it's going to take a long time to dig out of it.

By the way, he is a black man. The determination of race is generally determined by the prevailing attitude and treatment of a person--and also by the person's own affirmation of their race. Generally, you can be very light skinned but once people know your heritage is black, you are black. Whether this is good or bad is a matter of opinion, but that's how it's determined.

His mother was a white atheist American that went to Kenya, Africa. She fell in love with his dad, a black Muslim Kenyen. In the states such a person's race was refered to as a malado.

East and Southeast Asian societies, in past and presently, associated 'American' with being 'white'. For example, Thai and South Korean schools are notorious for choosing Whites as English teachers over Blacks. Maybe this will change the 'American' perception in the region. Maybe not. I dunno. Japanese kids are already going to tanning and hair salons 'browning' up and getting Afros...or Jafros

Barack Obama is what America represents. I, as a black American or just plainly American, am proud to have him as my leader.

post-70033-1225891790_thumb.jpg

The tears of joy and relief in so many eyes said it all. America yearns to be respected again. Barack Obama, as evidenced in many of the posts here and with the hundreds of celebrations occurring in the world, will serve to unite the globe. I already feel that the target placed on my back by George Bush has gotten dramatically smaller.

There is so much work to be done to heal the country, but I believe Obama has the ability to lead us in the right direction. The vast number of younger voters fervently supporting Obama, I think demonstrates that America's future is no longer bleak, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm proud once again to be an American today.

Wow!

UP, UP, UP and away go our taxes! :o

The bright side is that I will not be eligible to receive Social Security during this new administration. Obama will be in office only 4 years, so when he taxes Social Security in an attempt to finance his programs, the tax will be rescinded by the next administration, Republican no doubt (although Libertarian would be my first choice) and therefore when I become eligible I will receive Social Security tax free. My condolences for those currently depending upon Social Security to be able to remain in this wonderful country (Thailand).

It is simply amazing what can be done when you out spend your political opponent by almost three times. Long live democracy and the American dollar!

Anyway, congrats to the president elect. I just wish we had a system that did not depend on how much money you have to spend. Yes folks, the Hollywood influence in the United States even influences our elections. People spend their money based upon flashy ads and hype and we elect our officials with the same influence. On a more positive note, I am quite happy that the black people in this country finally have their day. It is a shame in deed that it is even an issue in this day and age. On the other hand, Thailand can learn a few things from the history of America and stop treating people that do not look the same as themselves like dogs.

I am very happy with this outcome, but this man has got a long, hard road ahead of him. Things are really in a terrible mess and it's going to take a long time to dig out of it.

By the way, he is a black man. The determination of race is generally determined by the prevailing attitude and treatment of a person--and also by the person's own affirmation of their race. Generally, you can be very light skinned but once people know your heritage is black, you are black. Whether this is good or bad is a matter of opinion, but that's how it's determined.

His mother was a white atheist American that went to Kenya, Africa. She fell in love with his dad, a black Muslim Kenyen. In the states such a person's race was refered to as a malado.

malado (sic) "Mulatto" ---- has been out of use for ages and is considered offensive. My grandmother would have used the word but not my father.

Obama is bi-racial and not 'black' though he has variously described himself in both ways. I wonder how he really thinks of himself? African father, white American mother, Indonesian step-father etc etc etc

I do know one thing for sure ---- he's certainly far more experienced as a world traveler than W was when he took office!

congrats to president obama. Hope he will make a change.

What a great country american is!!

Indeed, USA (not America) is a great country and with the help of Obama we are going to change that. :D

i cant believe you are such a dumb nation voting for a man( i dont give a toss what colour he is)with no policy but i am going to change things......only in the USA

you must have just stepped out of an AM radio right wing talk show. NO POLICY? Barack was all about policy, puppets don't have policy, which is why McCain lost. McCain didn't really want to be president anyway, wasn't that obvious? It would have killed him. He was pushed into it, his heart wasn't in it. He didn't believe a word he was told to say. He did nothing but embarass himself, and he knows it. It's the "know nothings" that believe the ridiculous crap on those shows. Anybody that gets news from sources other than the Fox network would know that Obama's plan to deal with the economy was far superiour than McCain's jargon. get with it. If he did in fact pick Sarah Palin as a running mate, that should be proof enough that he didn't want to win the election, what an idiot! :o

Sometimes I am amazed at what is out there running loose. McCain didn't really want the presidency? Obama's plan to deal wht the economy was far superior? What plan? Taxing those earning less than 250K, or is it 200K, or is it 150K or is it 120K, or is it 40K. Who knows? Whatever it is believed that will work at the time is what is said. Clinton (Slick Willy) was admired, now we have a younger, smoother - if you can believe it - version. No one is better at saying absolutely nothing than Obama. And the people, like sheep, are all lined up ready to believe in him. Good luck.

I am so relieved we elected Obama. I'm not saying he is without flaw but he is worlds apart from McCain and Bush. His economic understanding, insurance proposals, alt energy solutions, understanding of technology and diplomacy are the best shot we have at restoring America's prominence in the world. I sincerely was thinking of not moving back to the USA if McCain won.

Watching him give his acceptance speech brought a tear to my eye because it is a triumph for the world, what Obama symbolizes and he happens to be a dam_n good guy too.

Today, I am a very proud American. I am an older American who has seen and experienced the impact of white racism. I have had to make the decision as to which public water fountain I am allowed to drink from. I have ridden on buses that allowed blacks to sit only in the rear of the bus. I have witnessed the burning of a rental house in Carterville, Illinois occupied by a young black couple attending Southern Illinois University. I witnessed the accomplishments of Martin Luther King, and now I have seen the first black American elected President. I am now a very proud white American.

malado (sic) "Mulatto" ---- has been out of use for ages and is considered offensive. My grandmother would have used the word but not my father.

Obama is bi-racial and not 'black' though he has variously described himself in both ways. I wonder how he really thinks of himself? African father, white American mother, Indonesian step-father etc etc etc

I do know one thing for sure ---- he's certainly far more experienced as a world traveler than W was when he took office!

off topic, but what's etymology of "malado"? which language is originated from? to me sounds pretty similar to malato which means sick, ill. Also, "bi-racial" sounds like the pc version of half caste or mixed race; are these terms deemed to be offensive now.

btw, I concur with the rest of your post, about Obama being a worldly, suave politician, more than GWB ever was, but that not saying much anyway

I am so relieved we elected Obama. I'm not saying he is without flaw but he is worlds apart from McCain and Bush. His economic understanding, insurance proposals, alt energy solutions, understanding of technology and diplomacy are the best shot we have at restoring America's prominence in the world. I sincerely was thinking of not moving back to the USA if McCain won.

Watching him give his acceptance speech brought a tear to my eye because it is a triumph for the world, what Obama symbolizes and he happens to be a dam_n good guy too.

Hmm - his insurance proposals. Let's look at that for a minute. For health insurance to be available to pay for those who are ill, it is axiomatic that there must be premium paying members who are healthy (not submitting claims). During the last debate, Obama said that he would due away with the pre-conditions exclusions to health insurance policies. So, why would someone who is healthy pay for health insurance if you never have to worry about pre-condition exclusions. Just wait until you are ill, then apply for health insurance. In other words, health insurance would cease to exist. But you see, it sounded good at the time to make this promise.

Yes, CONGRATULATIONS Mr. Obama and thank you America. :o

But, there's a lot of work to do to clean up the mess of the idiots who've been living in the White House for the past 8 years.

Now, let's hope that the USSS are as good as they pretend to be, we need the guy to be alive to do his job... :D

And the people, like sheep, are all lined up ready to believe in him.

Which is, in my opinion, saner than believing in the neocons' lies.

This reminds me of how the people in the North believe in Thaksin. They want so so much what they hear to be true that they ignore inconsistencies, and bad deeds.

off topic, but what's etymology of "malado"? which language is originated from? to me sounds pretty similar to malato which means sick, ill. Also, "bi-racial" sounds like the pc version of half caste or mixed race; are these terms deemed to be offensive now.

btw, I concur with the rest of your post, about Obama being a worldly, suave politician, more than GWB ever was, but that not saying much anyway

The term is mulatto .... little mule I think ... hence why it is offensive to most

You can google for the exact etymology

bi-racial --- 2 races

multi-racial --- multiple races

half-caste --- are there any countries that still acknowledge a caste system?

what ... no offensive remarks aimed at me this time?

I was on Qatar air on a flight to Dubai this morning when I turned on CNN and saw it. I literally broke down in tears for not less than 10 min. I am so happy, proud, and filled with hope and promise. And yes not only proud of Obama, but more so proud of my countrymen of all races, religions, genders, and ages, that stood up against fear and bigotry and stood up for what is right and good.

It's not the answer to all our problems by any means, but it's a damm good start and a long time coming. May the Gods Bless Obama and everyone who supported him.

And the people, like sheep, are all lined up ready to believe in him.

Which is, in my opinion, saner than believing in the neocons' lies.

This reminds me of how the people in the North believe in Thaksin. They want so so much what they hear to be true that they ignore inconsistencies, and bad deeds.

:o

gotta love those that think they have a clue .... (conservatives always get upset .. and you can always tell who watches Hannity)

Oh and about race since so many people now are breaking it down like..well he's half white so he's bi-racial or mullato or this or that. No, coming from someone with the same racial make up as Obama, if you are darker than a brown paper bag in America, you are considered Black. (note the period)

Oh and about race since so many people now are breaking it down like..well he's half white so he's bi-racial or mullato or this or that. No, coming from someone with the same racial make up as Obama, if you are darker than a brown paper bag in America, you are considered Black. (note the period)

Not true ... I have many friends that are far darker complected than Obama and nobody thinks of them as black. In fact George Hamilton comes to mind!

yay! i am very proud of my country for the first time in a long while.

Let's hope that we all can truly say that in four years from now....(I have my fingers crossed....... and my 401K statement at my side)

If you are still contributing to your 401K you probably will be out of luck. It looks like they'll be taxed and the investment option will only be Government Bonds. These plans pretty take all the hope out of investing in 401k's for retirement. I understand the reason though. It put 80 Billion dollars additional in the governments tax coffers for other programs. So much for 401k allowing people the try to increase their retirment funds. I am holding out hope that existing 401K investments will be granfathered.

I think I will wait and see what financial policies and taxes actually make it to Obama's desk before I start crying :o

The Rep's scare tactics about taxes taxes taxes sure fall short when you look at "deficit deficit deficit" and economy economy economy :D

I am from the UK - I live here in Thailand and work in the Middle East.

I really think Today that you American voters have stepped forward in a huge way and I salute you - well done. Americans reputations abroad have not been good recently, but you really have stepped up again and shown how Democracy can and should work. I am very impressed by every one of you Today. Be proud.

Where I work people are amazed that you have elected Obama - there are no such freedoms here. I hope your vision and bravery in the face of tough economic times bears fruit - I also hope the UK looks at your example and votes out the present clowns in power.

As usual - you are leading the way again after some years in the shadows, well done and congratulations.

:o