Wing 41 Sticker Applications

Maejo Man

After five years of simplicity, the Royal Thai Airforce have once again moved the goal posts on us again. :o This time it's motivated by pure profit. In years past you used to get a printed card in the mail telling you that you pass was ready for collection. In the last five years you paid a 60 baht fee for a self addressed envelope which they posted out to you when it was processed.

Now however, you are required to pay 5 baht for the application form, which is all in Thai I might add, and a completely different format. You take the form home, complete all the details, and return it to the main office along with copies of (take all originals too) the following:-

Passport main page.

Passport visa page.

Tabianbahn or house lease.

Thai driver's licence

Vehicle registration book main page showing your address.

You then will be asked for a further 60 baht, and the officer will stamp the bottom of you application form and issue it a number. This will be then torn off and returned to you as your receipt. Collection of new passes starts the last week in January 2009 and ends the first week in March. You will not be notified, it's up to you to remember to collect it.

Getting the applicants to collect their own passes will mean the RTA will end up several million baht the richer on the issue of approximately 300,000 Wing 41 stickers!

The goal post has only moved a millimetre, back a bit.

Same list of paperwork, 5 baht for the form, 60 baht for the sticker. Back to 2007's system of collecting them yourself.

But they did previously produce a few English forms that you had to specifically ask for - preferably in Thai!

But it is a good earner for wing 41.

PS you can apply until 28th Dec - check the board on the entry to the base, it gives the opening date in November and the closing date in December even if the whole lot is in Thai it is easy to understand.

Edited by briley

I stopped by today. They do have English forms with all information and a description ofrequired documents in English.

I was gonna say....

They have been offering it in English for a few years now.

Do you register at the green building as usual

Or in that back building with the grocery store like they did for a while.

• 3 months later...
ANY PROCESS FOR APPLYING IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE AREA?

Sorry, old boy! You'll have to wait until next December. Then you may apply. The process is not difficult at all. Just takes a bit of common sense and good timing. All the necessaries are posted on TV. You have almost a year in which to plan and a whole month in which to activate the plan!! In the meantime, don't forget: If you drink, don't drive! Or is that asking too much?

Today (27th Feb) is last day for pick up according to my information.

Assume that from 1st March you will not be able to use Wing 41 with an old sticker?

Briley I've been waiting for notification about my sticker.

Are you saying there is no notification and one has to pick it up? I seem to remember getting a receipt. Did it say "pick up between ............and............ "or something?

cheers John

You then will be asked for a further 60 baht, and the officer will stamp the bottom of you application form and issue it a number. This will be then torn off and returned to you as your receipt. Collection of new passes starts the last week in January 2009 and ends the first week in March. You will not be notified, it's up to you to remember to collect it.
Are you saying there is no notification and one has to pick it up? I seem to remember getting a receipt. Did it say "pick up between ............and............ "or something?

See comment in first post above. In my case the stickers for our facility were picked up by our secretary.

BTW - if you sell a vehicle is there any way to transfer a sticker to your new vehicle?

I'm interested in that question too. Also, if the new car is on finance and the Blue Book doesn't yet have your name in it can it be done (transfer)?

So the receipts do vary - mine was pickup between 20 Jan and 27 Feb.

BTW - if you sell a vehicle is there any way to transfer a sticker to your new vehicle?

Not sure about the official way, but when I bought a new car I just took the sticker out of my old one and stuck it in the new one. I don't think the guards on duty check that closely as I've never been questioned.

As for the docs you need to get a sticker, I just gave them:

copy of passport,

copy of UK driver's license,

copy of car registration.

Got mine 2nd week Jan 09. My receipt said pickup anytime between 14 and 21 Jan 09.

The applications for the following year open on 1 Nov.

Depending on how many are stacked up in the queue, if you get in early, you will get a pick up at the office date in Jan/early Feb, as I did.

As far as I know, they don't do any mailing of stickers any more. Unless maybe your brother-in-law is the Governor.... :o

A tip: If you're going in for a simple pick up, do NOT join the big line in front of the main entrance.

Just slip through the left hand side entrance, present your receipt; out of there in 3 minutes.

Not sure about the official way, but when I bought a new car I just took the sticker out of my old one and stuck it in the new one. I don't think the guards on duty check that closely as I've never been questioned.

Don't count on getting away with this. They were stopping all the vehicles last week and comparing the plates with the sticker.

"The fact you are a farang in a Fortuner means fark all to armed military guards. "

If you are a farang it means (to the guards) you probably do not have a pass, check this vehicle more carefully.

I always lower my visor before the gate so they don't see a farang.

Another thing to consider, for those who choose to skirt the rules, is that transiting Wing 41 is a privilege, not a right.

If enough farang get caught skirting the rules, at some point the base commander might just say: "no more farang passes".

Why take a chance? When I was in applying in Nov, I saw everyone from hi-so in S600 Mercedes to tuk-tuk drivers in line.

Why should it be any different for us?

Don't screw it up for all the rest of us who follow the rules.

Another thing to consider, for those who choose to skirt the rules, is that transiting Wing 41 is a privilege, not a right.

Definitely taking a chance to just physically switch the sticker. There have been a few times when it was clear the guards were specifically matching up plates and stickers. I had one instance though were the guard put his hand up to stop me (last year still had the old sticker on the windshield) and the new one in the seat next to me. Started to reach for the new sticker to show him but he looked in the car at me and waved me through. Perhaps the farang thing isn't so bad. :o

Also a member posted on here that he did not affix his sticker to the windshield in a permanent fashion and had it pulled by the guard and no recourse to recover it.

If enough farang get caught skirting the rules, at some point the base commander might just say: "no more farang passes".

Why take a chance? When I was in applying in Nov, I saw everyone from hi-so in S600 Mercedes to tuk-tuk drivers in line.

Why should it be any different for us?

Don't screw it up for all the rest of us who follow the rules.

Very true McG. Unforunately, it's usually the farang who follow the rules and the Thais who get away with breaking them. The majority of my Thai friends who have a Wing 41 sticker in their cars photocopied a friend's. Having said that, a farang friend of mine claims to drive through Wing 41 on a regular basis with no sticker at all...

Have to agree with Greenside here.

This is a military installation.

Proceed with extreme caution in trying to skirt the rules.

The fact you are a farang in a Fortuner means fark all to armed military guards.

Only yesterday I watched the MP remove the sticker from the car in front of me (Thai driver) and made him turn round and go back. Possibly a different registration as the "grace" period is till the end of March for old stickers.