Cobra In Our Bedroom Tonight!

thaigerd

In Florida they have people who come and get alligators out of your swimming pool, in Australia they have the same for crocs, so if it happens as much as it seems it does here with dangerous snakes then having the same here would be appropriate. More common sense than ridiculous I feel.

I don't know about Australia since I have yet to go there, but in the USA they have:

1) Speed limits that must be obeyed.

2) Police that show up at your house within 10 minutes in a life threatening situation.

3) Ambulances that are at the scene of an auto accident in record time when injuries occur.

4) etc.... etc....... etc.......

.......and your point being?

In Florida they have people who come and get alligators out of your swimming pool, in Australia they have the same for crocs, so if it happens as much as it seems it does here with dangerous snakes then having the same here would be appropriate. More common sense than ridiculous I feel.

I don't know about Australia since I have yet to go there, but in the USA they have:

2) Police that show up at your house within 10 minutes in a life threatening situation.

3) Ambulances that are at the scene of an auto accident in record time when injuries occur.

Sorry, probably me being thick but I don't follow the reference to speed limits and ambulances. my point was fairly straight forward. Other countries where dangerous wildlife and humans come in to contact, have people (more often than not volunteers who are passionate about the creature in question) who would rather come and rescue and re-locate the animal than see it get smacked with a hammer, and that it would be good if there were similar people here (which it seems there are) Joe public trying to to do it themselves is a lose, lose situation. If they fail they get bitten by a venomous snake, If they succeed, a living creature gets unnecessarily twatted with a hammer.

Caught this guy, a monacle cobra 2 weeks ago at home........

The little yellow striped guy looks cool, it's venomous?

It is mildly venomous and rearfanged. Extremely lethal if you are a gecko. ;-) If you find one just make slow movements and you can touch and move it as long as the snake feels that it is not "grabbed" or held against it´s will.

But it is a fantastic snake and can actually catch a fish under the surface. It´s scientific name is Ahaetullah Prasina.

Sorry, probably me being thick but I don't follow the reference to speed limits and ambulances. my point was fairly straight forward. Other countries where dangerous wildlife and humans come in to contact, have people (more often than not volunteers who are passionate about the creature in question) who would rather come and rescue and re-locate the animal than see it get smacked with a hammer, and that it would be good if there were similar people here (which it seems there are) Joe public trying to to do it themselves is a lose, lose situation. If they fail they get bitten by a venomous snake, If they succeed, a living creature gets unnecessarily twatted with a hammer.

Sorry I didn't mean to confuse you, what I was trying to say in simpler words:

This is Thailand....

That little black and yellow thing sitting on the hand is exactly what I discovered in my central Patong hotel garden last year.

It shaped up to strike when i put my hand close so I gave it clearance. It looked a little like a viper.

Obviously not venomous. What is it?

It is just a baby of the Golden Tree snake. Scientific name Chrysopelea. Also rearfanged.

It is known for it´s ability to "fly" by throwing itself and windglide maybe up to a 40-50 meters. It is also known to be a fantastic climber and I can tell you, they are big problem to keep locked in a cage. Mildly venomous and rearfanged as the Winesnake (Ahaetulla).

This is Thailand....

Nope, sorry mate, bold type just isn't doing it for me either. I said it would be good if there were people to catch and release snakes, and several people have said there are people that do just that. (and one that catches and eats them) which is still better than an unexperienced person getting bitten. So simply stating in bold type which country we're in, is still sailing over my head. I would however like to thank the OP and other contributers to this thread for opening my eyes. I have a 10 month old son and until now never really thought about the genuine risk of being bitten by a snake, I would never of guessed that they made their way in to peoples gardens and even houses any where near that frequently.

That pic of the python reminds me of the boa of about the same size I caught killing one of my cats; it had apparently been hunting my cats for quite some time as several had just disappeared for no apparent reason. Being the nice guy that I am I relocated it to another plane of existence to accelerate its spiritual development. I am happy to say that it has apparently been reincarnated in human form and is back with us today. Isn't that right, flamingtodd...