Blood Pressure

Wrong Turn

I went to the doctor today.

I have not drank alcohol in 2 1/2 days, and have eliminated most salt from my diet. (I know I've reduced sodium because I've been cooking at home.)

The doctor took my blood pressure reading and it was:

150/100

I know that BP levels can vary for many reasons, but I want to buy a home monitor.

Which brand is best? Cost?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help. (Yes, I did a search but nothing came up.)

yeah omron is good but make sure you buy the long life batteries like duracel.the manual blood pressure kits maybe more accurate theae are the ones that you pump up yourself.

150/100 is not that bad depending on age,if you around the 50 age mark most doctors accept 140/85 as normal.Try and relax before taking the test yourself and you will be amazed at how much it comes down.Hope this helps.

yeah omron is good but make sure you buy the long life batteries like duracel.the manual blood pressure kits maybe more accurate theae are the ones that you pump up yourself.

150/100 is not that bad depending on age,if you around the 50 age mark most doctors accept 140/85 as normal.Try and relax before taking the test yourself and you will be amazed at how much it comes down.Hope this helps.

Sorry, but he is only 38 and 150/100 or 140/85 is not good. Try to fit into the optimal range 110-120/ 70-85. 130 is now considered borderline by the revised American Heart Association figures. Anyway, more important, if you blood pressure FLUCTUATES from 'normal' to 'high', it is more serious. If it maintains at a constant level, that is less serious. Of course, these are very general rule of thumbs...

Most decent sized drug stores stock blood pressure machines.

I think that Omron is the leading brand and very reliable. I have been using one for years, the batteries seem to last for ever.

I advise you to take your blood pressure morning (upon waking), afternoon, and before bed You should really take 3 readings each time, and note down the average of the 3.

Try to relax before doing it - any stress or worry will raise your BP.

If you find that your BP is still hovering at 150/100 then you should see a good doctor with a view to starting medication. The are great many, effective BP lowering drugs which are cheap and widely available.

Good luck.

I think that Omron is the leading brand and very reliable. I have been using one for years, the batteries seem to last for ever.

Omron have a service centre on Surawong Road BKK. They can check and recalibrate your machine there. However they say that most repairs have to be sent to Japan, They did however manage to repair my 4 year-old UK bought machine - replacing a micro-switch.

Adamx is correct re what is now considered normal. 150/100 is definitely too high and you almost certainly need to be on medication.

If you are overweight, weight loss may help as may regular exercise. However do not dely treatment in the expectation of this, start treatment first and then, if you are successful in losing weight/increasing exercise, you can always taper off the meds.

Adamx is correct re what is now considered normal. 150/100 is definitely too high and you almost certainly need to be on medication.

If you are overweight, weight loss may help as may regular exercise. However do not dely treatment in the expectation of this, start treatment first and then, if you are successful in losing weight/increasing exercise, you can always taper off the meds.

Thanks again, Sheryl.

The 150/100 reading was only done one time at the doctor's office.

That's why I wanted to check it at home regularly to see if that doctor office reading was abnormal in some way.

My family history: my father has taken and still takes high blood pressure medication.

Before I see a doctor about getting on medication, what are the most common medicines, so I can research them and at least have a somewhat knowledgeable conversation with the doctor.

TIA.

Edited by Wrong Turn

Hi -

Your BP is way too high and at face value u are candidate for meds but I before you take the big step I would do th efollowing.

Have your BP take three times - and yes, my hunch is it will be high (but maybe much lower). Th eobject of this is to establish what your "real" BP is...

stop drinking alcohol for a week

eat bland food for about a week+ (no thai food salt/msg and cooked in fatty oils)

no coffee/tea

After that yo uwill pretty much know that your BP is as good as its going to get athough excercise esp swimming really helps lower BP IMO.

In the a.m. get yourself to a BP meter 9as little walking [in cool of morning] but before you tak ethe reading sit for ten soild minutes and just chill out.

Make certain the person/nurses puts the band on the correct arm and you have both feet on the floor.

Im on enalipril - its really cheap and works wonders (20mg). What is good for you you need to ask a doctor. Ii did not want to use diuretics because its so hot here. BP meds are really nasty so get proper advice but do th eresearch yourself on th eInternet.

High blood pressure is when your blood vessels (the tubes that carry blood around your body) are slightly narrower for some reason causing pressure inside them. It could be due to cholesterol (which is like plaque that builds up in your blood vessels). A high calorie diet with inadequate exercise could cause cholesterol build up. Very high blood pressure due to very high cholesterol levels can lead to heart attack and stroke if not dealth with. However, some people's blood pressure has times when it goes high for a little while. Maybe you should get them to check your cholesterol level. Then they will be able to tell you whether or not it is due to something serious or not....