Need Help With Best Route

KHUNDAN

Has anyone ever made the trip from Bangkok to Chiang mai in the past couple of years that can give me the best route to take on a bike?

I need to meet other riders at the junction of Hwy 1 and Hwy 32 then from there how is the best way to go, or if going to 32 is not good then please help us as we will do this Dec 5 2008.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Edited by soundman
No email addresses, PM member for details.

Wish I could help you, Dan, but instead I can only add another question:

How long does that trip take? :o

I'm planning to take the BKK-Chiangmai trip with some friends, too, and we are already having an argument: one says it can be done easily within one day, another one thinks that's mad and we should include one overnight stay.

We all have big bikes (1000 cc up), but we also want to enjoy the ride and not just race.

So, comments? Thanks!

You can go either way- #32 or #1. 32 is shorter, and re-joins # 1 near Uthai Thani. Stay on #1 to Lampang, then follow highway #11 to CM.

How long? We usually drive out of Bangkok (Driving a VIOS- not a sports bike) in the wee hours of the morning... 5 AM. Arrive in Chiang Mai at 1 PM, so 7 hours.

If roads are clear and riding is good, a capable motorcycle could surely do it in less time.

I'm planning to take the BKK-Chiangmai trip with some friends, too, and we are already having an argument: one says it can be done easily within one day, another one thinks that's mad and we should include one overnight stay.

We all have big bikes (1000 cc up), but we also want to enjoy the ride and not just race.

So, comments? Thanks!

GizmoBkk,

We are leaving on the 5th of Dec and returning the 9th. You are all welcome to join us. We will stop overnight both ways. I am sure it could be done in a day but we want to see things and just enjoy the ride. So far 1 Harley, 2 CBR's, 1 VFR, 1 Blackbierd, 1 Super Four and me on my ZZR1100. We will only run 100-120kph as the guy on the Harley and 1 other doesn't like to run much faster, maybe 140 tops.

Dan

[email protected]

So, comments? Thanks!

I did Phuket CM in a day in a fairly slow car (18 hours drive)..

So its not hard to do a BKK / CM in a day.. just up to you how you want to do it.

Well Sub,

Really depends on the bike and fitness of the rider.

How about Bangkok to the Malay MotoGP on a Ducati Monster? http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bangkok-Mala...ti-t219714.html

I did a lot of long distance touring on my old CBR 600 F2 back in the states and found it a quite comfy mile muncher. Then again, many newer sport bikes have a more aggresive riding position and harder seats... I've done 600+ km / day rides here in Thailand on my Ninja 250R and I didn't feel too beat up by it. :o

Happy Trails!

The BKK-Chiang Mai ride is a nice one. Just under 6 hours for us.

The route depends on the bike you're riding.

take the north route out of BKK and it eventually ends up in CM, it's as easy as that. the only place you can go wrong is if you end up going to Saraburi by mistake.

There is a fantastic section of road near Lamphun/Lampang, wide roads through the mountains that deserve a fast run first then a U-turn and a slower run to appreciate the view.

We managed the run in under 6 hours on sportsbikes. no pain required. nice early start from BKK, breakfast in one of the many JET fuel stops on the way, enough rest for the coffee to kick in then the rest was done in one push (plus fuel stops) once there you will find some of the best biking roads around.

Whether you are looking to rocket up there or go comfortably it's a great ride.

one other point to add is a change in attitude the further out of bkk you get.

we stopped for fuel here and had people asking how much our bikes cost, as you get further out of the city the inquiries turn to 'how fast does it go' and 'how long have you had it'

watch out for buffalo sh1t and have a nice ride.

check out golden triangle riders for CM riding routes and tips

I do not know how long it will take to get to Chiangmai, or what route I should take. But, I do know that the guys on the sportbikes will have very sore wrists at the end of the ride.

well, my racing instructor told me those who get sore wrists don't know how to ride. you're supposed to get sore back and legs :o

I do not know how long it will take to get to Chiangmai, or what route I should take. But, I do know that the guys on the sportbikes will have very sore wrists at the end of the ride.

well, my racing instructor told me those who get sore wrists don't know how to ride. you're supposed to get sore back and legs :o

Oh yes, much better! I will say that sore wrists are one area where a Harley Davidson (or any cruiser bike for that matter) shines. No sore wrists, no sore back, no sore legs. It's like your sitting on a cushy couch for your ride. The only problem is the butt. You get a numb one. But I would rather have a numb butt than sore wrists!

Oh yes, much better! I will say that sore wrists are one area where a Harley Davidson (or any cruiser bike for that matter) shines. No sore wrists, no sore back, no sore legs. It's like your sitting on a cushy couch for your ride. The only problem is the butt. You get a numb one. But I would rather have a numb butt than sore wrists!

...I had a girlfriend tell me that once..