Uk Cancel Thaksin's Visa And Wife's

Jingthing

So there is nothing yet except a bunch of emails received by airlines. Emails are trivially forged, which is why they are not used for important communications by banks and such.

We might never know if this was a hoax or not. It would be rather embarrassing if Thaksin was allowed back into the UK - the UK would have to state why a person convicted of crimes in Thailand has not has his visa revoked. I guess we will find out on Monday. If it is a hoax, full points for not leaking directly to news agencies but rather relying on airlines to do the leaking, and doing it on a weekend where you will get a couple of days press coverage before a denial can be issued (and a couple of days for the UK to decide if it is better to go along with it).

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way UK has responded is exactly how it says it in the rule book, anyone who has commited serious fraud or even has an investigation pending should disclose on application, and on that bases they would be refused. Anyway isn't he lucky he was able to buy a property in my country (I hope it devalues) as for splitting the family up, they are adults. I however applied for a 1 yr visa to stay in Thailand after the birth of my son (the old rules allowed this) they said no you must be over 50 or go to work, but jobs for forgeiner are very limited so basically they were saying no F*K-OFF and we don't care about your 6m old kid. I have ample funds to support myself and was waving them in their face, but apparently under new rules it doesn't matter if I got a mil or two in a Thai bank account.

Yes its official now, on the BBC.

I feel very uneasy about this. Irrespective of the personal situation with thaksin, revoking someones visa when their home is in the country seems a very cowboy, third world response to me. In addition they have not revoked childrens visas, so just break up the family. None of us know the whole truth about what has happened in thailand and its certainly true that millions of poor ordinary people support him.

Anyway, I suppose just a further slide into mediocrity and deterioration in moral fibre, what more to expect from this corrupt and morally bankrupt UK government. Just remenber, it couild be you next time.

Benjamat , i think you are out to lunch on this one , his home IS NOT in the country , he HAS A HOUSE there(same as expats in Thailand) . They did not BREAK UP THE FAMILY , the children (who happen to be adults) can follow the parents whenever they wish . It is irrespective of what natives of Thailand think .

You live in Thailand at this present time (?) it could be you next time .Keep asmoliong at the immigration man and keep your nose clean .

All we know at this time is that the visa was revoked whilst he was out of the country, this is all I was commenting on, seems many dp not agree with me.

I am definately not defending thaksin, in fact I abhore the ability of the rich to find ways around basic laws that others have to abide by. All the same I still feel uneasy about how it was done. Seems "not British" to me.

Its new for me , that Thaksin and his wife are Thai nations .....instead of nationals ..... :o

Think its a poor written article , but is it true ?

You're complaining about a poorly written article??

Edited by tropo

Saw this BBC for 10 secs. tistrue.

Yep, old blighty sandbagged his rampaging ego while it went walkabout!

Good on you Gordy!

No Tacky, money doesn't buy EVERYTHING...

No doubt they did NOT like a convict,

very publicly advocating ' a pardon or insurrection '

in a friendly country, done from British soil.

One ego driven motor-mouth move too far...

He was / is a total embarrasment to them,

now he's someone else's headache.

Written on PDA in Bangkok taxi in trafic jam...

go figure.

Saw this BBC for 10 secs. tistrue.

Yep, old blighty sandbagged his rampaging ego while it went walkabout!

Good on you Gordy!

No Tacky, money doesn't buy EVERYTHING...

No doubt they did NOT like a convict,

very publicly advocating ' a pardon or insurrection '

in a friendly country, done from British soil.

One ego driven motor-mouth move too far...

He was / is a total embarrasment to them,

now he's someone else's headache.

Written on PDA in Bangkok taxi in trafic jam...

go figure.

Hi Animatic, It amazes me just how you manage to mention PAD into every post PDA you are a true supporter Ha Ha!

Cheers, Rick

I feel very uneasy about this. Irrespective of the personal situation with thaksin, revoking someones visa when their home is in the country seems a very cowboy, third world response to me. In addition they have not revoked childrens visas, so just break up the family. None of us know the whole truth about what has happened in thailand and its certainly true that millions of poor ordinary people support him.

Anyway, I suppose just a further slide into mediocrity and deterioration in moral fibre, what more to expect from this corrupt and morally bankrupt UK government. Just remenber, it couild be you next time.

Benjamat , i think you are out to lunch on this one , his home IS NOT in the country , he HAS A HOUSE there(same as expats in Thailand) . They did not BREAK UP THE FAMILY , the children (who happen to be adults) can follow the parents whenever they wish . It is irrespective of what natives of Thailand think .

You live in Thailand at this present time (?) it could be you next time .Keep asmoliong at the immigration man and keep your nose clean .

All we know at this time is that the visa was revoked whilst he was out of the country, this is all I was commenting on, seems many dp not agree with me.

I am definately not defending thaksin, in fact I abhore the ability of the rich to find ways around basic laws that others have to abide by. All the same I still feel uneasy about how it was done. Seems "not British" to me.

HUH?

He was out of the country 'rabble rousing'. And no .. you were commenting on his adult kids etc etc etc

They revoked the visa of a person convicted of a serious crime. The failure is that they didn't do it the day he was convicted etc...

He was not on a long term visa .. no ILR .... he doesn't have the 'moral right' to be in the UK and the UK does have the right to say ........ "buh bye"

Thaksin has not applied for asylum in UK, or if he had it wouldn't have yet been granted, the current waiting time is 2+ years. Therefore he was on a simple visitors visa, the same as most of your tgf's can get.

I think he has applied for asylum, but the details are particularly vague. What's confusing here is what was his status with regard to this application when he last left the UK? I would assume (as someone else has already noted) that you can't just flit around the globe with impunity while you have an asylum application pending. Presumably, you would need some kind of 'permission' from the Home Office first to leave the country. It appears obvious he didn't get this (seems unlikely they would have told him - "yeah, it's fine, off you go, don't worry, come back whenever you feel like it..." and then took measures to ensure he couldn't get back into the country), so that would suggest by leaving the UK without the correct permission, his application became somehow voided and his status reverted to that of simply 'some bloke on a visa.' As I said before, it's surprising none of his legal people considered this eventuality and took measures to prevent this happening. Anyone around with a decent knowledge of UK asylum law?

This is a weird story. Do you think it might be fabricated?

Most likely fabricated.

I did a search:

http://press.homeoffice.gov.uk/press-relea...s#searchResults

Very odd The Nation publish this without double checking the ''news''.

LaoPo

The BBC here in London are currently confirming this announcement from the IND/Home Office.

I agree, his phone-in pretty much sealed the deal. Fleeing was also a bad idea. Perhaps running afoul of the law also.

Last month when we all talked about this the majority of dialogue was against the UK allowing him to stay.

It's better for him to return and serve the time willingly, you can't run forever if you truly want to be home.

As a politician, he has failed. It seems like before him, there was nowhere near the division you see now.

Promising this or that reaction to his actions, or his fate, simply underlines the division, that in some minds, he caused by his actions.

Is he a misunderstood genius? Misunderstood? No. Genius? No. Devious? Yes.

-A beguiling trickster? Definitely

-A mogul gone rogue? Has he lost the plot? Maybe.

-A simple man, humbled by tribulation? Simple? No. Humbled? The man does not know the meaning of humility.

-A savior of the poor, who made an honest mistake or three? He sees himself as the saviour of the poor on his way to self aggrandizement.

-An agent of rich outsiders, who almost got full control? I don't believe he is an agent of anyone.

-An effective leader, surrounded by mayhem? Effective? Not really. Surrounded by sycophants? Yes.

Everyone's got an opinion, but indeed, the tables appear to have finally turned against him in a definitive way. So long as his compelling story runs it's course, the unity Thailand so desperately needs will remain on the back burner, as precious time ticks away.

He's a distraction. This is the problem with symbols like his "public image". They are not the real thing, they are just a referent. What does this man really want out of all this? Who is he really? Why is his particular fate so intriguing the the 1500+ reading this at the moment?

Much of the world is falling to bits before our eyes, -are there simply now too many people, too few resources, and too much of an imbalance in power and influence?

Long Live The King.

:o At least we can all agree on that much.

Thaksin Shinawatra is unable to live a quiet life. He is a ruthless, power hungry individual who will now be even more obsessed with revenge against those who have brought him (in his mind) to this situation.

He needs to be in the spotlight with his adoring minions the same way a drug addict needs his next fix.

I can only think of a few people that can help him. Messrs. Smith & Wesson, Herrs Heckler & Koch and maybe Ms Glock come to mind.

Long Live The King

He is a wanted, convicted criminal in Thailand. If its OK for Thaksin to be above the law of his country, I guess you favor giving the same benefit of the doubt to all convicted crims here?

I understand there are a lot of Thaksin haters posting on this forum, but what is law in Thailand is very grey. Everyone seems to have forgotten that he was ousted in a military coup 2 years ago. I suppose everyone will say in defence that a military coup is perfectly acceptable.

Correct me if I am wrong but has any source, such as BBC, Bloomberg, etc., quoted any authoritative source, other than "the Thai Press"?

Bapak

A Thai foreign ministry official told the Reuters news agency: "The foreign ministry has checked the reports with British authorities and they have confirmed that the visas were revoked."

from the BBC

Correct me if I am wrong but has any source, such as BBC, Bloomberg, etc., quoted any authoritative source, other than "the Thai Press"?

Bapak

A Thai foreign ministry official told the Reuters news agency: "The foreign ministry has checked the reports with British authorities and they have confirmed that the visas were revoked."

from the BBC

Its true its been on the bbc news even here in nThailand! That will make the thais sit up and take notice if we have kicked him out! A little bit of education for the masses here in my books....about time too

I sincerely hope that it is true! With all the hassle that honest legit farangs have staying here, Criminals like Thaksin should not be allowed into the UK and Thais should face the same visa hassles that legit farangs face here. :D

Have you any idea how difficult it is for a Thai to get a UK visa?

Taksin has been accused of many things, but I don't think gracing a chrome pole was ever one of them. :o

Why is his particular fate so intriguing the the 1500+ reading this at the moment?

Because he still pulls the strings of the PPP party, the current party in power in Thailand? Not to mention the classic human interest of watching a TRAIN WRECK. He is Thailand's answer to OJ Simpson.

Jingthing I'm not your biggest fan but this post made me laugh out loud. :D

Soundman, since you seem to be the new sheriff in town :o (or actually any mod), how bout upholding some forum rules and deleting posts #163 and #167 as they are trolling racist posts? Or shall i cry hypocrisy (for the nth time)?

now its time to all sing a long

ana 1 ana 2 ana3

And now, the end is near;

And so I face the final curtain.

My friend, Ill say it clear,

Ill state my case, of which Im certain.

Ive lived a life thats full.

Ive traveled each and evry highway;

And more, much more than this,

I did it my Thai way.

Regrets, Ive had a few;

But then again, too few to mention.

I did what I had to do

And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;

Each careful step along the byway,

But more, much more than this,

I did it my Thai way.

Yes, there were times, Im sure you knew

When I bit off more than I could chew.

But through it all, when there was doubt,

I ate it up and spit it out.

I faced it all and I stood tall;

And did it my Thai way.

Ive loved, Ive laughed and cried.

Ive had my fill; my share of losing.

And now, as tears subside,

I find it all so amusing.

To think I did all that;

And may I say - not in a shy way,

No, oh no not me,

I did it my Thai way.

For what is a man, what has he got?

If not himself, then he has naught.

To say the things he truly feels;

And not the words of one who kneels.

The record shows I took the blows -

And did it my Thai way!

YES I did it my Thai way :o

The Nation, Breaking News, November 8, 2008 : Last updated 06:25 pm

Foreign Ministry has been informed about Thaksin's revoked visa

The British government has informed Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs about the cancellation of visas of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman, according to MOF.

Thanee Thongpakdee, deputy spokesman of the ministry, said the the ministry has been informed about the revoked entry visas.

The confirmation of the Thai side ends the doubt that the report could have been just a rumour.

Unquote

Just to compliment the much repeated visa cancellation / revocation that some are still in denial about

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Of course it is not a third world response and in fact it is the complete opposite. I am now proud again to be a Brit as they have acted honourably. money in whatever form of investment should NEVER be a tool to buy your way out of ANY criminal charges OR to get around proper laws in ANY democratic states. The UK Government have acted fine now and as they should have. I see this as a very smart and sensible legal move to avoid lots of problems with the complex UK asylum rules. Yes indeed like most honest countries a convicted criminal on the run is huge grounds for refusing an entry visa and remember Thailand courts are indeed fully recognised by the UK, especially when Thailand has an elected democratic government in force here whether or not the term "elected" is a dubious phrase in a vote rigging country such as sadly Thailand currently seems. I am sure also the USA would not allow Toxin in either or any other main stream Western country. So he either now comes home to face the music like a real man he pretends to be OR goes to live in some banana state where they do not respect International Law ... hmm Zimbabwe as someone mentioned seems a great idea and a suitable form of justice for him :o Bahamas, I hope not else it will be somewhere many folk will cross off of their vacation destinations I trust.

It just may be also a result a little from all the help we have given by writing to complain to UK MPs, and the Home Office etc I have certainly sent an e-mail to many many friends and family in the UK to hassle their local MPs to ask questions in Parliament and asked them to forward the e-mail in chain mail form onto their other friends too in the UK so all that could have helped a little, you never know.