Rain, Rain, Rain

Gary A

Soybeans sprouting in the pods, a lot of rice knocked down and laying in the water. These poor farmers are having no luck at all. If I were depending on earning a living farming, I would likely be suicidal.

Not enough rain early in the growing season and WAY too much rain in the "dry" (?) season. Many will be cutting and bundling rice while standing in water. Dikes were cut a couple of weeks ago but there is no where for the water to drain to.

Edited by Gary A

Soybeans sprouting in the pods, a lot of rice knocked down and laying in the water. These poor farmers are having no luck at all. If I were depending on earning a living farming, I would likely be suicidal.

Not enough rain early in the growing season and WAY too much rain in the "dry" (?) season. Many will be cutting and bundling rice while standing in water. Dikes were cut a couple of weeks ago but there is no where for the water to drain to.

Gary,

Forget the "will be" about standing in the water to cut rice. BIL "is" standing in the water right now.

Looking ahead, at least the ground water will make preparing the ground of dry season cropping a bit easier. Still got the paddle wheels on the Yanmar?

I suppose we should spare a thought for our fellows trying to make a baht with the rice harvesters at the moment. How is it going guys?

Isaanaussie

I know that the flooding around Chumphae, Khon Kaen has decimated this years rice harvest and also ruined many peoples vegetable plots. On top of that a lot of people have lost their fish where fish ponds were flooded.

My sister in law has been telling that while things are bordering on the hopeless young people are returning to villages from lost jobs in Bangkok.

It doesn't look good to me. Can't help but to feel sorry for the hard working farmers. They paid top dollar for fertilizer on the hope that rice prices would remain high.

With all the troubles in the world a more religious man might start to wonder if there isn't a higher power behind all this. How long has it been raining, is it 40 days and 40 nights yet?

Q: Who was the greatest financier in the Bible?

A: Noah - he was floating his stock while everyone else was in liquidation.

Isaanaussie

With all the troubles in the world a more religious man might start to wonder if there isn't a higher power behind all this. How long has it been raining, is it 40 days and 40 nights yet?

Q: Who was the greatest financier in the Bible?

A: Noah - he was floating his stock while everyone else was in liquidation.

Isaanaussie

Interesting post.

from what I can see the World's current problems (War, Ecnomic ills, Environmental disaster, social problems etc.) are all man made.

I do however have great hope for the future. The way we have been living was/is unsustainable nad the World wide systems are under immense pressure and will eventually collapse. The upside is that what replaces the current systems will be better.

Sorry for going off topic.

Rain when will it stop.

Well hopefully the end is near for this season.Just to give an indication in my area approx 15 kms north of phuphaman we normally on average recieve about 40-44 inches of rain a year.This year i have had a whopping 72 inches of rain.With undulating country and plenty of sub soil moisture i am confident in holding off harvesting my sugar cane until febuary to gain maximum price with ccs levels.

As mentioned before the question is when the rain stops,can we expect a normal break in the season next year or are we due for a dry one.

F/J

I suppose we should spare a thought for our fellows trying to make a baht with the rice harvesters at the moment. How is it going guys?

The rain has stopped, the sun is shining and there is a pleasant breeze which is drying the rice quickly now.

We have trained new crews for harvesters and using entirely local labour now, there was a bit of a sharp learning curve but productivity is picking up nicely.

According to farmers, yields are not as good as last year but they appear not too bad to me.

The rain has stopped, the sun is shining and there is a pleasant breeze which is drying the rice quickly now.

We have trained new crews for harvesters and using entirely local labour now, there was a bit of a sharp learning curve but productivity is picking up nicely.

According to farmers, yields are not as good as last year but they appear not too bad to me.

PN,

Well done. I will be in touch this week, I am told the rice is "Sook" and will be up to take a look. How is the schedule for next week? In the area?

Isaanaussie

How is the schedule for next week? In the area?

Extremely busy, in the area - we are the only harvesters here at the moment and everyone is crying out for us to start on their rice.

Well they say always go to a busy man if you want something done. I will have a look and give you a ring. Probably on Tuesday. By the way, have you gine GRPS on a laptop or have you handed over the money belt job to someone else?