Event With Kasikorn Bank

ramiguet

Event with Kasikornbank

As I needed a credit card my wife applied for one at the Kasikorn Bank for giving me the second credit card for my personal use.

We applied on the eight of November 2007 and where forced to open a time deposit with 300’000 Baht (understandable). We received the cards end of January 2008 after almost three months making several complains by telephone. It was only possible to make the automatic payment agreement which is actually quiet practical.

From July 2008 they debited the account from my wife during three months 286 Baht monthly. As I realized this I called and asked what for, because she does not use the card at all. It turned out that this is a health insurance. As she never made such a insurance. We also never received a policy, letter or something about such a insurance. She complained and wanted to stop this immediately and the stolen money to be refunded. She had to contact the insurance company (MTI/PHA) It was a long proceed until it could be canceled. The Bank did not do anything. She had to do phone calls for more than 200 Baht to finally make it possible stopping this never made insurance. We immediately canceled this Credit Cards.

After a long time only and personal complain in the issuing branch the money was credited on her account on the 13th of October the stolen amount was given back.

The one year fix deposit expired today and as it is a Saturday she had been instructed to retrieve this 300’000 Baht in the Maesai Branch because this is open on weekends.

Kasikorn e-mail on this matter:

Dear Mr Samniang Mingkaew,

We are deeply sorry for our previous mail,please be informed that to close the Fixed Account,you need to contact your opened branch directly,however,if your opened branch do not open on weekend and if you need to withdraw money in urgently,you can withdraw your money in other branches that you are convenience which is available on weekend,however, you still need to leave money in your account for 1000 baht in order to close the account at your opened branch.

Copy from the e-mail Kasikorn Bank, 31.08.2008

Please note that if you do not need to close the account immediately,you can leave it and close on working days,due to for Fixed Account,the bank will give the interest on due date of the account,and customers can close the account when they have available time.

The branch which open on weekend in Chiang Rai is as following;

Mae Sai Branch

OPEN:10.00-17.00

Tel:0-5364-0786-9,0-5364-0790,

0-5373-1515 , 0-5373-1520

Wish you would be appreciated to our services.

For more information please contact K-Contact Center Tel. (66) 2888 8800

Yours Sincerely,

K-Contact Center

KASIKORNBANK PCL.

So she went to Maesai today (distance one way 45 km.) and they have refused to give here back her money. They phoned to Bangkok for this reason and there was no way to retrieve money from this expired time deposit, not even one single Baht they said.

This was our lovely experience with the Kasikorn Bank, Thailand, a bank which we can really recommend.

S. Minkaew - R. Amiguet

Edited by ramiguet

Is it possible they want the credit card cancelled before they will release your term deposit? If the term deposit was meant to be surety for your credit card then that could explain it. It's unlikely that Kasikorn have stolen your money if that is what you are inferring. If there weren't clear written instructions about what was to happen with the deposit when it matured then it's also possible the deposit has been automatically rolled over into a new term deposit. Best thing to do is to go to the bank where it was all set up on Monday and talk to them, not some other branch. Problems in Thailand when dealing with branches other than where you set up an account are not unheard of.