Tourist Visa Mistake? - 30 Days, Not 60!

So, two weeks ago I went on a visa-run to Vientiane to get a double entry tourist visa. Everything went fine, got the double entry for 2000 baht and proceeded to re-enter Thailand.

Now, thinking back, there was quite a line to get back into Thailand, and the lady who I handed my passport to was chatting away on her cell phone as she stamped my passport. I made the mistake of assuming everything looked good as I gave my passport a cursory glance once I got it back. Now, two weeks later I decided to take a look at the passport and realized I was only granted 30 days!

I was admitted on Oct 27th, 2008 and valid until Nov 25th, 2008. Aren't tourist visas supposed to be 60 days??? It shouldn't make a difference if I had a double or single entry tourist visa, right? If so, what should I do to amend the issue? Head to the Thai Immigration in Bangkok? Maybe she didn't see my tourist visa and assumed I just wanted a visa exemption...and now that I look at it, my Thailand Tourist Visa is unmarked...shouldn't there be a big USED stamp in the middle of it? I don't know since this is my first one....

Or maybe I can just go on another visa run before Nov 25th, then use my Tourist Visa on the subsequent re-entry?? Is that a bad idea if they see I stayed for 4 visa-exemptions within 180 days??? (I had 3 visa exemptions prior, thus I needed a tourist visa) Or is that there fault, and I am clean??

Ugh, so many questions...sorry

Thanks for any help!

Did you put visa number on arrival card?

Some people don't want to use the visa when entering (maybe just stay 2-3 days) and not put up visa number on arrival card.

Then they only gets 30 days visa exempt stamp.

Later they use the visa for the 60 day stamp.

Sorry to be a pain Lite Beer (nice name btw), but what do you mean:

But you would lose a month.

Are you referring to my tourist visa? I thought that was the whole point, they didn't see my tourist visa, and therefore gave me another visa exemption...right?

And, no, I didn't put my visa number on the arrival card, so I assume they thought I wanted a visa exemption and failed to see that I had already had 3...that being said, I go back to one of my first questions...do they put a USED stamp on the tourist visa when you actually, for lack of a better word, use it? Or is it left as is?

Can't I just go on another visa run before Nov 25th, and then 'activate' my tourist visa by putting the visa number on the arrival card when I come back? That would actually be better so I don't have to do a visa run around Dec 25th (ie. x-mas).

Your visa has a use by date that is where you will loose the 30 days.

If you only have a use by date of 90 days that reduces the time to 60 days to use the 2nd entry of your visa. You have to leave the country and re-enter before the use by date.

Are you referring to my tourist visa? I thought that was the whole point, they didn't see my tourist visa, and therefore gave me another visa exemption...right?

And, no, I didn't put my visa number on the arrival card, so I assume they thought I wanted a visa exemption and failed to see that I had already had 3...that being said, I go back to one of my first questions...do they put a USED stamp on the tourist visa when you actually, for lack of a better word, use it? Or is it left as is?

Can't I just go on another visa run before Nov 25th, and then 'activate' my tourist visa by putting the visa number on the arrival card when I come back? That would actually be better so I don't have to do a visa run around Dec 25th (ie. x-mas).

They normally mark a ONE on the Visa if you use the first entry.

They will NOT mark "USED" a 2 Entry Visa if it is your first entry.

You can either go to Immigration and correct the "mistake" or do a VisaRun on/before the 25th November to activate your first entry.

However please ensure that you activate you second entry before the Visa expires, Vientiane Visa are only valid for THREE month.

Edited by visarunner

Just a thought reading this...

Gentle people as you all here on TV who can answer so right in details about visas in Thailand amaze me. Apart the retirement visa I use currently, and that I suppose I know rather well, it seems to me so highly complicated! O, A, single entry, double entry, tourist visa, stamp this, stamp that, and so on...

Fantastic work and help!

Thanks a lot to all!

Gobs

At Friendship bridge border they mark your tourist visa with a (1) followed by a stamp of the entry day.

I'm really surprised (and pleased) that you actually got your 4th 30 day visa exempt entry. Perhaps this indicates that they are not counting at Friendship.

You will still be able to get a maximum stay of 6 months from this tourist visa despite this initial f**kup.

Here's how:

Do a visa run after 30 days and you'll get a 60 day stamp. On the last day of your tourist visa's "use before" date do another visa run for a further 60 days and then extend this. Total: 6 months.

The cost of your first visa run will be about the same as the cost of an extension, so you're really not out of pocket - you're just wasting the time for one extra visa run.

Just to help any tourist visa holders, here's the best procedure to follow upon entry to Thailand:

1. Make sure you put your visa number in the appropriate space provided on the TM6 arrival card.

2. Bookmark your tourist visa with your arrival card before you hand your passport to the Immigration officer. This ensures that they won't miss it.

3. Check the date stamped in your passport and on your arrival card and visa. You should already know the correct date in your head. When counting 60 days, count the arrival date as day 1.

I'm really surprised (and pleased) that you actually got your 4th 30 day visa exempt entry. Perhaps this indicates that they are not counting at Friendship.

They do count, but as the OP said the person was chatting on the phone .

How do you know that the phone call had anything to do with the count?

The Immigration Officer obviously missed the tourist visa (probably because the OP failed to write it on his TM6 card) so the Immigration officer knew she was dealing with a 30 day visa-exempt entry. Phone call or no phone call, if they count at Friendship you would have thought she would have made some effort.

There's also the possibility she was checking on the 90 day rule with a superior - on the phone.

Edited by tropo

Wow! Thank you all so much for the information and advice! It was what I was thinking, but a little confirmation goes a long way... =)

And I can tell you that the person was on the phone before I handed her my passport, so she wasn't checking with her superior...

So it seems that they just missed my tourist visa and gave me another visa exemption....mai ben rai, saves me some cash since my visa runs are usually cheaper than the extension of 1900 baht...

Thanks again! :o

Wow! Thank you all so much for the information and advice! It was what I was thinking, but a little confirmation goes a long way... =)

And I can tell you that the person was on the phone before I handed her my passport, so she wasn't checking with her superior...

So it seems that they just missed my tourist visa and gave me another visa exemption....mai ben rai, saves me some cash since my visa runs are usually cheaper than the extension of 1900 baht...

Thanks again! :D

Always nice with a happy ending. :o

So I am here in Vientianne, on my second exit from Thailand, should I be applying for the double entry visa or wait for another visa run before application?

Not sure what you are asking.

The rule about Visa Exempt 30 Day Entries is : A total of 90 days in a six month period. If you have not reached that limit you can return to Thailand and get 30 days.

If you have apply for the Visa.

It is up to you whether you apply for the Visa or not.