New Atm Fees?

Gumballl

In the US, banks like to charge non-customers a service charge (usually ranging from about $1.50 to $2.00) for usage of an ATM.

I have noticed recently in Thailand, that I am now being assessed a $5.00 charge by the Thai banks, and on top of that, my bank is assessing me an additional $1.50 charge... that's $6.50 for one transaction, no matter how small! :o

Has anyone else had this experience? I currently bank with Bank of America (BofA), and this past September, when I was in BKK, I did not have the $5.00 fee assessed. Now I am.

I agree that banks should have the right to charge non-customers a service fee, but at $5.00 a pop, I think that is kinda steep.

In the US, banks like to charge non-customers a service charge (usually ranging from about $1.50 to $2.00) for usage of an ATM.

I have noticed recently in Thailand, that I am now being assessed a $5.00 charge by the Thai banks, and on top of that, my bank is assessing me an additional $1.50 charge... that's $6.50 for one transaction, no matter how small!  :o

Has anyone else had this experience?  I currently bank with Bank of America (BofA), and this past September, when I was in BKK, I did not have the $5.00 fee assessed.  Now I am.

I agree that banks should have the right to charge non-customers a service fee, but at $5.00 a pop, I think that is kinda steep.

I haven't noticed any charges from Thai banks when I use my US visa debit card. Does the fee show on the ATM receipt?

No... just the residual amount left in the account. I posted a query with my bank... hopefully I will hear from them tomorrow. But I do know one thing... when I examine my banking activity online, I do see two separate charges... one for the $5.00, the other for $1.50.

No... just the residual amount left in the account.  I posted a query with my bank... hopefully I will hear from them tomorrow.  But I do know one thing... when I examine my banking activity online, I do see two separate charges... one for the $5.00, the other for $1.50.

I just double checked my November statement. My bank will refund up to $5 a month in atm fees. I see there is a refund of a $1.50 during that month. I did 5 atm withdrawls in November. 4 from Bangkok Bank, and 1 from Bank of Ayudhya. I wonder if BoA is charging, and Bangkok Bank is not.

Is that exactly $5.00, or something around $5.

Basically, I haven't seen any charges myself yet, but I'm using a UK card, not a US one.

Generally, if these are exact dollar figures (i.e. not $4.96, but $5.00) - it's almost certainly something in the US charging you the money (i.e. Visa, if it's a credit card, or your own bank for a cross-currency withdrawal, etc.)

If it's exactly $5 US, I'd be most surprised if it's someone in Thailand making the charge...

I would imagine it is your own bank making the charges. Aussie banks do it if you use an ATM in Aust that is not your own bank machine, and it is/was something $1.5 for each transaction 5 odd years ago.

gumball I am really not surprised.

Well, found out this evening, that it is my bank that is charging me the fees. Below is their explanation for the charges I was assessed...

Our records indicate the $1.50 charge is a non-Bank of America ATM fee.

We assess this fee each time you use an ATM machine not affiliated with

Bank of America and the transaction is denied. Please note that you may

also incur a fee by the owner of the ATM, which is typically included in

the amount of the withdrawal.

Beginning Nov. 19, the International ATM fee will be raised to $5. It

will be charged to customer's accounts when they make a withdrawal,

transfer or balance inquiry at a non-Bank of America ATM or non-Global

ATM Alliance bank located in a foreign country. Customers received a

message in their Sept. statements explaining the new rates and an insert

highlighting the Global ATM Alliance.

While traveling outside the United States, you can avoid the access fee

by using an ATM at the following banks in these locations:

- Barclays - United Kingdom

- Deutsche Bank - Germany

- Scotiabank - Canada

- BNP Paribas - France

- Westpac - Australia and New Zealand

- Santander Serfin - Mexico.

If we may be of further assistance, please contact us again by e-mail.

Thank you for choosing Bank of America.

Sincerely,

Schrelle Thomas

Bank of America

Anyhow, prior to Nov 19, the fee was $1.50 for a successful transaction. The new fee is a 233% increase! :o

Well, found out this evening, that it is my bank that is charging me the fees.  Below is their explanation for the charges I was assessed...

Our records indicate the $1.50 charge is a non-Bank of America ATM fee.

Bank of America and the transaction is denied. Please note that you may

also incur a fee by the owner of the ATM, which is typically included in

the amount of the withdrawal.

Beginning Nov. 19, the International ATM fee will be raised to $5. It

will be charged to customer's accounts when they make a withdrawal,

transfer or balance inquiry at a non-Bank of America ATM or non-Global

ATM Alliance bank located in a foreign country. Customers received a

message in their Sept. statements explaining the new rates and an insert

highlighting the Global ATM Alliance.

While traveling outside the United States, you can avoid the access fee

by using an ATM at the following banks in these locations:

- Barclays - United Kingdom

- Deutsche Bank - Germany

- Scotiabank - Canada

- BNP Paribas - France

- Westpac - Australia and New Zealand

- Santander Serfin - Mexico.

If we may be of further assistance, please contact us again by e-mail.

Thank you for choosing Bank of America.

Sincerely,

Schrelle Thomas

Bank of America

Anyhow, prior to Nov 19, the fee was $1.50 for a successful transaction.  The new fee is a 233% increase!  :o

Can confirm this is true. I did a withdrawl at a SCB ATM on 19-Nov, and sure enough the $5.00 charge showed up. From the statement:

What is a non-Bank of America ATM fee?

This fee, also known as a foreign transaction fee, is assessed each time you use an ATM machine that does not prominently display the name and logo of Bank of America or Fleet National Bank.

What drag, used to be only $2.00 :D

TH

Go back and read that post from Gumball again.

The bank is charging you 5 bucks for a cash withdrawal and 1.5 bucks for an unsuccessful withdrawal.

" Our records indicate the $1.50 charge is a non-Bank of America ATM fee.

Bank of America and the transaction is denied."

Bunch of robbing bar-stewards

Whether you get charged or not may depend on what symbols you have on your card, and which atm you use. If you check, all atm's have symbols  e.g visa, plus cirrus etc

The symbols have nothing to do with the charge. They are only there to tell you if you can use the machine or not. Its entirely down to the individual banks policy on charging.

Bank of America is the mafia bank, isn't it?

There have such been rumors as BofA was founded as the Bank of Italy by A. P. Giannini in San Francisco in 1904. People have made the assumption it had to be linked to the mafia if was founded by an Italian.

Bank of America is probably most famous for inventing the bank credit card, the BankAmericard (VISA) in 1958.

It was "merged" (actually a takeover) with Nations Bank in 1998 and HQ was moved to Charlotte, NC.

TH

Bank of America

Lately, I have been very dissappointed with Bank of America. First, they wanted to charge me $40 for a SWIFT transfer. They ended up waiving the fee because they forgot to get me to sign the form and I had to return to the bank to sign it. Then, when I asked for a letter supporting my I-134 (Afidavit of support) for my fiance's visa application, they could not get the required information. On the instructions for this form it clearly states that the letters from your banks should show the total amount deposited over the last year. The letter they normally send out for this purpose only has the average balance for the last three months. Oh, and this letter will cost me $10.

Since I assumed it was only because their standard automated letter system did not have the proper option, I insisted that I speak to someone else that could help me. It really turns out that they only have access to the transactions of the last three months. The Vice President I spoke to told me I could bring in all the statements, and she would add up the deposits. When I told her I don't have all the statements because I was out of the country for some of that time, she told me I could get access to them online for up to 1.5 years. When I went online, they only have six months worth of data. If I request to get my old statements from "micro fiche", then that will cost me $25.

This misinformation and lack of service has made me decide to change banks as soon as my fiance get's her visa. Anyone have a recommendation for a good service oriented bank in California? I was thinking of CitiBank.

Dave.

Daveh -

I have never had any problems with BofA. In fact, I enjoy using their bank and their online service. I have been a customer of theirs for 14 years (7 years as a NationsBank customer, 7 after the "merger").

As a possible solution to the ATM fees, I think I will contact them to inquire if they will raise my ATM withdrawal limit to $1000/day (or about 40,000 Baht); currently it is at $500. I don't imagine ever having a need to withdraw such a large amount, but you never know.

Anyhow, for a $1000 withdrawal from a foreign-bank's ATM, that will cost me $5. This fee will amount to 0.5% of the withdrawal amount.

On another topic, why do you need to file the I-134? There is no indication on the I-129F (fiance visa application form) that you need this. If you do need to prove income, just get an official letter from your company (with letterhead, etc) showing your current annual income, or your previous year's income tax returns.

Good luck with the visa, and with your hunt for a decent bank in CA. Stay clear of UBoC.

On another topic, why do you need to file the I-134?  There is no indication on the I-129F (fiance visa application form) that you need this.  If you do need to prove income, just get an official letter from your company (with letterhead, etc) showing your current annual income, or your previous year's income tax returns.

Good luck with the visa, and with your hunt for a decent bank in CA.  Stay clear of UBoC.

It's not part of the I-129F petition, but it is part of the final visa application (Packet 3) that she has to bring to the interview. Basically, if you are sponsoring someone, you have to prove to the government that the person will not become a burden to the US government. The income requirements are quite low.

Along with a letter of employment and last two federal tax returns, you have to have letters from your banks, and brokers stating when you opened the accounts, the current balance, and the last twelve months deposits. Hopefully, my six month record of transactions from Bank of America will be okay, as they far exceed the minimum required by the government. Also, the previous six months, I was living in Thailand, so the deposits are small. So even if I had a full 12 months worth, the numbers would not be very different.

Daveh -

I have never had any problems with BofA.  In fact, I enjoy using their bank and their online service.  I have been a customer of theirs for 14 years (7 years as a NationsBank customer, 7 after the "merger").

As a possible solution to the ATM fees, I think I will contact them to inquire if they will raise my ATM withdrawal limit to $1000/day (or about 40,000 Baht); currently it is at $500.  I don't imagine ever having a need to withdraw such a large amount, but you never know.

Anyhow, for a $1000 withdrawal from a foreign-bank's ATM, that will cost me $5.  This fee will amount to 0.5% of the withdrawal amount.

On another topic, why do you need to file the I-134?  There is no indication on the I-129F (fiance visa application form) that you need this.  If you do need to prove income, just get an official letter from your company (with letterhead, etc) showing your current annual income, or your previous year's income tax returns.

Good luck with the visa, and with your hunt for a decent bank in CA.  Stay clear of UBoC.

I suspect you are being charged $5 per transaction and no ATM in Thailand can provide $1,000. Time for plan B? :o

no ATM in Thailand can provide $1,000.

Is that per session?

I've never asked for more than 20000 baht (around $515 now), as somewhere in the back of my mind this was the per session limit with Thai ATM machines. Does this sound right?

Also, with a daily limit on my US checking acct of $1000, I assume I could resubmit immediately after the initial transaction session to get the remaining amount of baht not-to-exceed my $1000 equivalent limit. Can do?

Never needed to, but would be nice backpocket info to have.

The Nationwide B.S.(UK type-Bank but not a bank)recons on a No limit for withdrawal at ATMs although have never tried on single a machine on the same day.

On a number of occassions I had to pull Bt 60k at one time just used a Thai farmers (Kassie)ATM and Bangers B adjacent ATM for 30K each with same card ...and No Problem..also NO Fees,Supplis,Charges, Trans fees or any deductions at all... plus full interbank exchange rates :D

Hate getting ripped off by these baskets :o

Thai ATMs have a limit of 20,000 THB per transaction. This applies to transfers as well as withdrawals.

But you can make mutiple withdrawals or transfers one after the other. In fact my Bangkok Bank "Be1st" ATM card lets me withdraw up to 100,000 THB a day and on a number of occasions I've taken that much out with five consecutive withdrawals in a single session.

There must be hard-coded reason that the machines will only give out 20 K because it's common that ATM withdrawal limits are way higher than the transaction limit..

Thai ATMs have a limit of 20,000 THB per transaction. This applies to transfers as well as withdrawals.

But you can make mutiple withdrawals or transfers one after the other. In fact my Bangkok Bank "Be1st" ATM card lets me withdraw up to 100,000 THB a day and on a number of occasions I've taken that much out with five consecutive withdrawals in a single session.

There must be hard-coded reason that the machines will only give out 20 K because it's common that ATM withdrawal limits are way higher than the transaction limit..

It actually depends on the type of machine and is a limit on the number of notes it can handle. Most Bangkok Bank machines have a 25 note limit (i.e. 25,000), but others (i.e. SCB) are often 20. This also means that if the machine only has 500 baht notes (or worse 100 baht notes) - you end up only being able to take out 12,500 or 2,500 baht in one go.

Sorry - I'm British, and use the Nationwide also, so no charges, but you'd want to confirm with BofA whether they'd charge you $5 per transaction, or per day...

I thought UK bank charges were ridiculous but $5 just to take out your own money (and probably at a not very nice exchange rate) seems ridiculous - time to find another bank...

no ATM in Thailand can provide $1,000.

Is that per session?

I've never asked for more than 20000 baht (around $515 now), as somewhere in the back of my mind this was the per session limit with Thai ATM machines. Does this sound right?

Also, with a daily limit on my US checking acct of $1000, I assume I could resubmit immediately after the initial transaction session to get the remaining amount of baht not-to-exceed my $1000 equivalent limit. Can do?

Never needed to, but would be nice backpocket info to have.

You should be able to do it again but you will receive another $5 fee if using BA I suspect. As said there is a physical restriction to the number of bills that can be given in one go and as 1,000 is the largest the limit is 20-25,000.

One possible work around would be to use counter service as you may be able to get your daily (merchant) limit with that method - although I have never tried it.

There must be hard-coded reason that the machines will only give out 20 K

Agree....

pull Bt 60k at one time just used a Thai farmers (Kassie)ATM and Bangers B adjacent ATM for 30K each with same card ...and No Problem..

Should make it clear/agree with CDB that when I suggested 30k at a time this involves 2 transations of 20K+10K.

It would indeed confirm that in LOS 1 trans is limited to 20K.

Also ref B.B.Be First 1st ATM.I have used it in UK/Europe and also No Prob. :o

It actually depends on the type of machine and is a limit on the number of notes it can handle. Most Bangkok Bank machines have a 25 note limit (i.e. 25,000), but others (i.e. SCB) are often 20. This also means that if the machine only has 500 baht notes (or worse 100 baht notes) - you end up only being able to take out 12,500 or 2,500 baht in one go.

25 notes, 25000 baht in one time with a visa or mastercard? Where? Thanks for reply.

• 1 month later...

25 notes, 25000 baht in one time with a visa or mastercard? Where? Thanks for reply.

STILL DON'T KNOW WHERE TO WITHDRAW 25 NOTES IN 1 TIME IN BKK !

Daveh -

I have never had any problems with BofA.  In fact, I enjoy using their bank and their online service.  I have been a customer of theirs for 14 years (7 years as a NationsBank customer, 7 after the "merger").

As a possible solution to the ATM fees, I think I will contact them to inquire if they will raise my ATM withdrawal limit to $1000/day (or about 40,000 Baht); currently it is at $500.  I don't imagine ever having a need to withdraw such a large amount, but you never know.

Anyhow, for a $1000 withdrawal from a foreign-bank's ATM, that will cost me $5.  This fee will amount to 0.5% of the withdrawal amount.

forget about increasing your withdrawal amount, bt.20,000 is max for all off-shore banks in thailand :D

i use a hong kong bank card and withdrawals at the bangkok branch is free :D

of course you can open an account here and wire your funds into it and get a local debit card, you can then take as much as you like, fee free :o

and of course you cannot beat good old jolly cash :D

Edited by kreon