Bars Closed Again?

mrjohn

There is a royal funeral in case you have come from mars and not heard.

Buy your booze early if it means that much.

A couple of days aint going to kill you, just the opposite.

Respect the country you are in mate, it is a funeral of the most revered institution in Thailand.

Respect the country you are in mate, it is a funeral of the most revered institution in Thailand.

Since, thus far there has only been one other contribution to this topic I can only assume that this remark was addressed to me.

I started the topic partly because I genuinely wanted to know the answer, but also as point of information for those who have either just arrived or will be coming this weekend, whether they be from from Mars, or even Europe where surprisingly enough a Thai Royal funeral is hardly likely to be front page news.

You could show respect for this country by being less judgemental and adopting a less aggressive tone.

As a further point I should add that I don't actually drink........ but I do like to go to a bar for a chat.

There is an ugly rumour that all bars will be closed this weekend for three days.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for this thread! I had no idea. I knew the funeral was comming up but didnt know the bars would be closed or that it was this weekend. Ill be sure to warn my tourist friends who are visiting.

I think this time the liquor sales will stop for at least a day. I have been told by a few Thai bar operators they are closing down for the event and that many of their workers are treating this as a holiday and going home. Serving booze during the election ban is one thing. However, this is about showing respect and I have a feeling many Thais will take it more seriously. Correct me if I am wrong, but the police have been given orders to enforce the closing.

So if you are here on holiday and don't drink it won't bother you. Chat somewhere else.

If you live here you already knew the answer.

It seemed to me another [oh the bars are closed thread] this is a bit different.

Life don't revolve around bars.

Dude Chill Out .. He asked a reasonable question ...

So if you are here on holiday and don't drink it won't bother you. Chat somewhere else.

If you live here you already knew the answer.

It seemed to me another [oh the bars are closed thread] this is a bit different.

Life don't revolve around bars.

"i'm alright jack"comes to mind" stuandchris.If thailand wants tourist industry it has to be more flexible,or are you one ofthe holier than thou brigade?

So Mr John did you get an answer?

Yes no maybe,a friend(9 of them actually have been planning a golf weekend from overseas down in Pattaya) arriving on Friday and I was sent an email asking me the same question. No disrespect meant by asking this!

There is an ugly rumour that all bars will be closed this weekend for three days.

Can anyone confirm this?

Yes - this is a pretty nasty reply to a reasonable question. Due to the number and frequency of elections in the time i've been here, i already know that officially, bars will be closed, however, this is my first experience in 5 years of a Royal funeral and i just didnt make the connection that bars would be closed. And i suspect the OP didnt know either. Chill out stuandchris.

It will actually be interesting to see if the bars which are normally open during 'dry' elections, pay a bit more respect to the fact that it's a Royal funeral, and stay closed.

To the poster who said something like, 'what's a booze ban got to do with showing respect?'

Just dont even go there. This is a Royal funeral, and Thai's are extremely touchy about the subject. Sitting in a bar, ringing the bell, knocking nails into blocks of wood and scoring hookers is party time, not respectful time. There is a time and a place for everything.

It will certainly be revealing to note if all the bars owned by the police that are allowed to stay open late, actually open up this weekend.

I feel some research coming on.................

I think this time the liquor sales will stop for at least a day.
I'll report afterwards, but I think there is no chance whatsoever of sales being stopped.

Whenever I wanted to buy a beer at our local store, I could.

Have a look into Soi SeaPearl... on the east side about halfway to the back is Moon Bar. that ole bat is well know to be open. Plan B.. get some Q's (1/4 bottles) AKA as pocket rockets and mix up in the corner of some bar. Often hotels are exempt from the ban on election day.... Stock up and have a party in your room! Do give Moon's (Moun) joynt a check! She'd never mis a sport for a nick. I have had a few in that New Soi Sea Pearl at Moons during dry days often.. I call it new because Moon used to be the corner bar on the street of the Old Soi Sea Pearl. Here girls ain't always go go quality but baht for boom I've never had a bad jump out of Moon Bar!