Expand Partition In Vista

Moonfruit

Ive been trying to expand one of the partitions in Vista, however the expand option is greyed out.

I have deleted all other partitions so that the only partition left on the drive is C: and i want to expand C: to fill most of the drive, however whatever way i try to do this using the built in Vista tool, it simply doesnt allow.

What are my options?

Will Partition Magic do the trick?

Whats the point in Microsoft including a utility that you simply cant use?? Dumbass's!

You are trying to resize the active partition with the running operating system on it therefore it can not resize it. You run the risk of loosing data so backup before thinking about doing a partion change. You something like partion magic that boots off a cd so that windows is not running.

That shouldn't matter, Vista supports live partition resizing (including the system partition). There might however be a valid reason why it cannot expand the partition in this case. If there is a logical partition on the same disk, you will need to delete that first.

Sometime it seems that the disk management tools is not working properly.

Check out http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/04/07/how...ent-doesnt-work

they show you how to use diskpart which is the non graphical way of doing things.

Edited by sjaak327

That shouldn't matter, Vista supports live partition resizing (including the system partition). There might however be a valid reason why it cannot expand the partition in this case. If there is a logical partition on the same disk, you will need to delete that first.

Sometime it seems that the disk management tools is not working properly.

Check out http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/04/07/how...ent-doesnt-work

they show you how to use diskpart which is the non graphical way of doing things.

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

I have however also tried Diskpart being run from DOS, and that solution also doesn't work!

any oother suggestions?