Thai Landlord

simba

hi all

any one no if this is normal?

my girlfriend is renting a house, she has been there for about 4 months and been paying rent on a monthly basis. now the landlord wants the next 12 months rent up front (he says that he wants to no that she is going to be a long term tennant)

she has the money to pay and is happy (ish) to do so but i am a little unsure.

any body have thoughts on this?

If everything is "Kosher" and you have managed to get a binding contract from the landlord, find out how much discount he is prepared to give you. After all you are prepared to pay up front for a year, when that money could be doing something else for you, then he should be prepared to reduce the rent,as he will have piece of mind that his property is being occupied. If he will not give a discount then just keep paying monthly.

hi all

any one no if this is normal?

my girlfriend is renting a house, she has been there for about 4 months and been paying rent on a monthly basis. now the landlord wants the next 12 months rent up front (he says that he wants to no that she is going to be a long term tennant)

she has the money to pay and is happy (ish) to do so but i am a little unsure.

any body have thoughts on this?

Tell the landlord to stick it !! To pay 12 months rent in advance is foolish, because your gf's circumstances could change and your landlord will not refund any money, id it does. There are plenty of places to rent, so threaten to move if the landlord gives you anymore shit !!

He's got debts and is being pressured and is trying it on your g/f.

Get a real contract and then go for the big discount. :o If you can trust him...

I agree, that sounds like the most plausible explanation- he's in serious need of cash. A definately good bargaining position for you, it seems...

I pay my rent one year in advance simply because I know I'm not moving and I don't want to think about monthly payments for rent. It was strictly my choice, and I have an excellent relationship with my landlord. In the poster's case, the landlord is operating somewhat outside the parameters of what I would call 'straight and upfront', so I would surely negotiate a discount and get it in writing... Don't forget a signature from a witness, too. Very important part of any such contract here, in my experience.

I agree with the comments of mickmac. My personal experiences with commercial properties have been similar. Up to 2 years rent up front, a legit contract along with a rental discount.

Negotiate on repairs and modifications being made to the premises prior to signing the lease or handing over any money. Most landlords are happy to oblige and you may be surprised how much they will actually agree to change the building for you.

Both of you end up with the satisfaction of knowing what you are doing for the term of the lease.

NL

Wouldn't surprise me if he has a buyer, who may or may not know you have paid upfront. If you have proper recipts, rental contract, etc, you should be protected.

cv

A buyer or in desperate need of money might be the fact. Of course as with all other businesses. Get a lawyer to help with the paper work when you are in doubt with anything. How much are we talking about - a monthly rent of 1,200 baht ?

Get papers on it all. Get the tambian baan for such a long lease. Or simply just find an other place to live that gives you the papers you are entitled to.

thank you all for your responses, im sure that im not being spun a yarn from girlfriend. she has the money and is the one paying the rent. if she needs money she asks me (only once in 18 months ).

i will tell her to get a proper contract and lease agreement and have a witness. moving would be a pain in the a**e as she has just had a bar built on land in front of property. currently the rent is 2'500b per month have met lanlord before and he seems up front, but i dont understand his situation.

thanks for the advice.

I wouldnt pay 12 months up front rent for residential property,

I rent a house in pattaya and arrange for the rent to be paid each month, month by month,

One of two things

Landlord is trying it on

Thai girlfriend is trying it on

Dont pay it, there are 100's of places to rent and will be happy for rent in monthly payments.

Whats the landlord like, if he's just someguy with a spare house then I would be suspect about paying up front, but if he's a businessman then he may just want the capital up front for investment or else the hassle free situation of seeing the tenant once a year? I paid for my house in Samui on a yearly basis at a 2k per month discount as the landlady had a business on the island & didn't want to see us for the rest of the year. I made up my own contract & we all signed it with a witness and never had a days trouble from her.

landlord has a few propertys that he rents out, one that is rented as goverment office space for a constuction project.

he seems ok but have asked girlfriend to get lease and rental contract and have a witness when its signed. i think up to her its her money just dont want her to get ripped off.

cheers for all the advice

Why didn't the landlord want the year's rent in the first place? Why does he claim that he is concerned about a long term contract now, but not before?

Given the information I have, I would not pay a year's rent even with a contract. I just don't trust the landlord until I understand why he changed his mind, and believed him.

If the landlord is untrustworthy, then I wonder how much good the contract would do. What are you going to do if he breaks the contract and won't give the money back? Are you really going to try to sue the landlord?

Is he making the same request of other tenants too? How long has he been in business? What are the other tenants doing?

Rocky if u read Simbas post, he says it has a bar built out front, that makes it a commercial premises, it would probably be a good idea if you actually bothered to read posts before you actually replied..

Got to say this - But if you had read the post you'd know the bar was in front of the property, not on it, so it is still residential. At least according to the information we have been given.

I would never pay one years rent in advance in this country !

The legal system isnt sophisticated enough here to protect

the tenant after doing doing so- i.e. sucg payments are

not recorded on the tiltle to the property.

What happens if the Landlord sells the property-

its doubtful the new owner will recognise

you have paid the previous owner all that money !

No discount is worth the risk !

Ok now listen up here.

First ----- If you pay just monthly without a contract or some agreement in writing and it is just verbal, that landlord can kick you out at any time day or night. They have that right. Also if you do anything to the landlords place best you not do a single thing since you have nothing in writing.

Secondly---- If you pay monthly with a contract or agreement in place with signatures and witnesses (which is very important) and also have initials signed on each document that is written up , that landlord is bound by the terms of that contract as written according to Thai Law. As of the payments, it will be specified on that contract if it is monthly or yearly. Once you make a payment, make sure you get receipt of such payment with their signature to prevent future accusation that you never paid the rent thus such can mean they can void that contract legally.

Thirdly---- If you want to stay for long term, and say you paid up one or two years rent, make sure that it is written down and that it has a provision in that contract that if you decide to leave under a legit reason that they are to return your money. Beware if you pay up front for one year or two years, it is considered a done deal and most of the time landlords here will not return you that money. If I was you, do it on 6 month increments, to protect your money overall. That way you will not lose that much.

Fourth----- If you live in any place be it a townhouse or apartment, or house and if you make any re-modifications etc like making it better and more luxurious etc, make sure it is in that contract that allows you to do so and not have to remove all of it and return it to its original state. Also make sure that with such improvements, that your rent does not go up either.

The other is if you are planning to stay long term, you can do it something like a 2 year contract with all your provisions that you want in it etc, with an attached option to renew another 3 years, at SAME PRICE, and also attached an option to buy them out to have it as your own.

If you now pay monthly without a contract, on one hand if you don't like the place you can vamoose out of there and the landlord cannot stop you. They are stuck with all your bills. On the other hand if you do like the place and it suits you great, GET YOURSELF A CONTRACT ASAP.

The reason for the landlord asking for a long term provision is they don't want to be stuck with your bills if you leave at any time.

Asking money up front like 2 months deposit is normal but for 1 year it is way out of line, and that makes the situation very suspicious in my books.

Good luck.

Daveyo

Rocky if u read Simbas post, he says it has a bar built out front, that makes it a commercial premises, it would probably be a good idea if you actually bothered to read posts before you actually replied..

Got to say this - But if you had read the post you'd know the bar was in front of the property, not on it, so it is still residential. At least according to the information we have been given.

and if you had read the post properly you would have read this bit.

as she has just had a bar built on land in front of property.

so are we now talking of a residential property and a piece of land that this young lady has built a bar on? which i assume she rents aswell, so now this young lady is renting 2 plots?I think you will find that it is purely one plot of land, or at least thats the way i read it, one plot of land with a house and a bar, that = commercial.

my garden is in front of my property, but it is still my garden...

oppps sorry :o , though i would still not wish to pay 12months rent.

to answer som quetions, 1 plot of land rent for house and area out front,

girl friend is having contract and lease made up between her self and landlord, and is going to pay money for year.(i just hope she isnt getting ripped off).

thanks for all the advice, i think its in the lap of the gods now, will see when i return in april.