Offered A Job In Bangkok

I've been a ThaiVisa member for a number of years. I joined up after I made a couple of mistakes which cost me a fair bit of money. I have visited numerous times and almost retired in LOS 3 years ago. I'm 55yo, gay, non-smoker and non-drinker, with a 'significant other' who lives in Bangkok.

I answered a job vacancy on Thailand Job Vacancy site, JobJob for a Resident Manager at a central Bangkok hotel. They are offering salary of 50,000 baht a month. What they are looking for is someone with a Bachelor Degree in related field; Fluently in both spoken and written English; Experience at least 5 years in Hotel is essential for Resident Manager.

I satisfy all 3 criteria - with a Bachelor's degree, born and raised in Australia and I have been a hotel manager for the past 8 years.

I was emailed by the hotel asking what benefit and welfare I wanted. I didn't want to appear greedy - so I simply said I wanted a rent-free room at the hotel.

I can afford to live on 50,000 baht a month - but am I selling myself short?

Peter

It sounds to me that the job is more geared towards a Thai-national rather than an expat.

My only experience in the hotel industry was a short 6-month stint doing marketing communications for a 1000 room or so hotel and the salary was 40k/month + room + 20k/month worth of food at the coffee shop. I wasn't even the top marketing person...so yes, I'd say you are selling yourself short. I had no experience, and it was only my second job out of university.

But the right price is the price you are happy working at. I believe there to be lots of opportunities abound in the hotel industry around BKK and Thailand in general. You might consider taking the job, but also keeping your eyes pealed. You should also ask exactly which room you will have because as you know, they can vary greatly.

My best estimate for an expat General Manager in the hotel industry for a large to medium sized hotel is 100-80k/month + benefits.

--matt

My advice...

I you have nothing else on the cards TAKE IT.

It will give you valuable experience working in the industry in Thailand.

Once you are working in the industry you can network. (conferences etc.)

If you are worth it...something more substantial will come up within a year.

One day you will look back and think it was the best move you ever made.

It allways works this way. :o

My advice...

I you have nothing else on the cards TAKE IT.

It will give you valuable experience working in the industry in Thailand.

Once you are working in the industry you can network. (conferences etc.)

If you are worth it...something more substantial will come up within a year.

One day you will look back and think it was the best move you ever made.

It allways works this way. :o

Very good advise as long as the offer is genuine (work permit, etc.)

Each time I've accepted positions in Thailand my rule of thumb is 10-15% above my normal rate plus accommodation. Working outside your home country should always pay a bit more. Only stands to reason.

Working outside your home country exposes you to competition from the whole globe. Unless you have very specific and rare skills for the job, you will be in an auction with a lot of candidates desperate to work and prepared to work for less, some possibly only want the "experience" and have their living expenses paid.

The "stands to reason" only applies if you are recruited in your own country and sent abroad on an "ex-pat" package.

The 50K with accommodation seems a bit on the low side for BKK, but it's a job and things are going to get tough for the next couple of years.

18 November 2008, Paris, France

Hi Everyone!

I am 25 yo Russian hotel professional with an MBA from Maxim's Ecole International de Paris. Please, see my homepage

With work experience in a hotel Ritz in Paris and two other French luxury hotels.

By a Bangkok internationally-branded luxury hotel I have been offered a position as he assistant Front Desk Manager at 60,000 baht per month plus room and 8,000 baht in food.

Advise, please? Do you think this job is real?

Do you advice accepting this job?

Thank you in advance for you kind input :o !

Warmly,

Olinka

Edited by soundman
No email addresses as per forum rules.

It's not a bad offer. Could you get more--maybe, maybe not. If your desire is to come here, then take it.

If you want to make a lot of money, then don't.

If you have free lodging, then 50,000 baht is easy to live on, provided you don't have any expenses back home.

My view on jobs may be different than yours. I see jobs as a trade of time for disposable money. That is, I wouldn't save much more than about 5% - 10% of my salary. I see investments as vehicles to weath and growth. From my perspective, I see the salary as suitable for a comfortable life in Thailand and I would take the job if it was a job I enjoyed doing and it did not require more of my time than I was willing to trade (for me, that's about 20 hours/week. I prefer part-time jobs). If you see jobs as something different, such as a way save up money for later investments then this advice may not be applicable to you.

Note: if you really do need more money, the time to negotiate salary is when the job offer first hits the table, not after you've taken the job.

Edited by DocJD