Bombing Injures 13 At Open Market In Bangkok

taxexile

I had finished a -webcam- meeting with my partners in America, when I heard the loud and obvious sound of this bomb... Tried all over to see if any signs (we live in a high building) and did not even police-rescue vehicles or anything making any sounds for quite a while after... poor people...

As usual, "the skinny dog gets all the ticks"... Those with huge part and the real responsibilities on the definitive matters, only "watch the bulls from the stands"... Too sad... however normal in today's world :o

Not nice... not new... not the last one... for sure...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..glad to see that last night was very enjoyable and fun had by all withoout major incident !!!

Bomb injures 13 at Bangkok open market

Bangkok - A bomb hurled Thursday morning at protestors at Klong Toey Market in Bangkok injured 13 people, two of whom were in critical condition, police said.

The PM's warning on Tuesday was correct...

PM warns of risk on Loy Krathong

PM Somchai Tuesday warned general public to avoid going to crowded places at a full moon festival on Wednesday for fear that a third party could use the opportunity to instigate unrest. "I am really concerned about tomorrow night as people celebrate Loy Krathong. If possible, please avoid places where a large number of people are gathered," Somchai said. Somchai said he has assigned police to tighten security in the capital to ensure safety.

There is nothing wrong with hurdling a bomb into a crowd in Thailand. The PAD does it all the time, they even have armed guards who are allowed to shoot policemen who are refused helpo by Chulalongkorn hospital aftwerwards for doing their duty. Most marketplaces are led by outright criminals murder, bombings and extortion are rather common. Both here as over the border. The problem is that most standup guys in unifrom are criminals. That is why they can drive a 7 million baht Benz with a petrol bill which is higher than their monthly salary. The problem is that criminality by the elite is tolerated in Thailand, even admired. Only the poor get locked up.

Sadly enough we will have to face much larger scale bombings later. Probably again carried out by the PAD to discredit Thaksin around New Year.

Ironic that the Prime Minister knew about this beforehand, huh?

You are suggesting that the Prime Minister had foreknowledge of thugs using bombs to intimidate people off land? Quite an outrageous claim.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due and in light of the bombing last night, I see the Prime Minister was spot on with his bombing warning, given Tuesday, for last night.

As far as I know, regarding the post I quoted, PAD issued no such warning, much less one given with such precision.

Just a simple question. Why would the PAD or the PM throw a bomb at a crowd of people? I mean I might understand if the PAD throw a bomb at the police or the PM, and the PM/Police throw the bomb at the PAD. But why Klong Teoy people?

How could PAD discredit the government by doing that or vice versa?

It is a standard procedure in Thailand now to warn the public about the gathering during New Year or any kinda festivals. Therefore, the most likely key suspects would be those involved in the Klong Toey conflict. But let's not jump into the conclusion because there is no other solid evidence yet.

Many Thais are low.. but not by majority. One low person is enough to create mega chaos to the country.

There is nothing wrong with hurdling a bomb into a crowd in Thailand. The PAD does it all the time, they even have armed guards who are allowed to shoot policemen who are refused helpo by Chulalongkorn hospital aftwerwards for doing their duty. Most marketplaces are led by outright criminals murder, bombings and extortion are rather common. Both here as over the border. The problem is that most standup guys in unifrom are criminals. That is why they can drive a 7 million baht Benz with a petrol bill which is higher than their monthly salary. The problem is that criminality by the elite is tolerated in Thailand, even admired. Only the poor get locked up.

Sadly enough we will have to face much larger scale bombings later. Probably again carried out by the PAD to discredit Thaksin around New Year.

You are suggesting that the Prime Minister had foreknowledge of thugs using bombs to intimidate people off land? Quite an outrageous claim.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due and in light of the bombing last night, I see the Prime Minister was spot on with his bombing warning, given Tuesday, for last night.

As far as I know, regarding the post I quoted, PAD issued no such warning, much less one given with such precision.

Just a simple question. Why would the PAD or the PM throw a bomb at a crowd of people? I mean I might understand if the PAD throw a bomb at the police or the PM, and the PM/Police throw the bomb at the PAD. But why Klong Teoy people?

How could PAD discredit the government by doing that or vice versa?

It is a standard procedure in Thailand now to warn the public about the gathering during New Year or any kinda festivals. Therefore, the most likely key suspects would be those involved in the Klong Toey conflict. But let's not jump into the conclusion because there is no other solid evidence yet.

Many Thais are low.. but not by majority. One low person is enough to create mega chaos to the country.

Klongtoey are poor people who mostly support Thaksin. So I guess PAD would be the most likely to hurt the poor people.

Conversely, Siam Paragon is more the kind of place that PAD supporter elite Bangkokian goes. So, if there is any bomb there, chances are it is by Thaksin supporter.

Yes a new low,

and a action of opportunity, considering the government talk the last two days.

Yes blame it on unrest, PAD, DAAD etc, anyone but the new landlords trying to clear out

the poor street vendors. So far no one has died, but that may not last long.

Sad, too sad.

My condolences to the families of the injured.

Nobody mentiioned PAD or DAAD before your post so why do you say "Yes blame it on unrest, PAD, DAAD etc,"? Just who are you saying "Yes" to?

Why do you have to bring politics and ridiculous conspiracy theories into every thread? You really need to turn the PC off and get some sleep.

And what are you implying?

Please read what I ACTUALLY said. CLEARLY.

And stop quoting me partially, and out of context, as you have,

that changes the message to the inverse.

It is likely SOMEONE ELSE's doing it,

but using the 'unrest' as a potential cover for their actions.

as some one said after me, "plausible deniability".

If you combine your quote WITH the line BEFORE the one you are ballistic about,

it makes perfect sense...

As seen hours after I posted the quoted above:

Further down is the picture of the poor injured woman.

She is indeed in yellow and has a hand clapper by her side.

I don't know if this pic is actually FROM this mornings incident,

but if it is, it shows a few things.

1 ) A poor market protester in PAD yellow regalia injured by a bomber

with a PAD handclapper at her side.

2 ) That PAD supporters ARE in the poor segments also, not just upscale markets

Totally contradicting Cutty from South Kensington's trollish post just above.

So it seems now as ALSO plausible to be DAAD/UDD or the Landlords thugs,

or even both doing to jobs. Two birds in one stroke.

I was in Klong Toey market Friday and Sunday afternoons for a short time.

Nothing seemed amiss then and no sign of protests.

Edited by animatic

Yes a new low,

Yes blame it on unrest, PAD, DAAD etc, anyone but the new landlords trying to clear out

Sad, too sad.

Nobody mentiioned PAD or DAAD before your post so why do you say "Yes blame it on unrest, PAD, DAAD etc,"? Just who are you saying "Yes" to?

Why do you have to bring politics and ridiculous conspiracy theories into every thread? You really need to turn the PC off and get some sleep.

And what are you implying?

that changes the message to the inverse.

It is likely SOMEONE ELSE's doing it,

but using the 'unrest' as a potential cover for their actions.

as some one said after me, "plausible deniability".

If you combine your quote WITH the line BEFORE the one you are ballistic about,

it makes perfect sense...

As seen hours after I posted the quoted above:

Further down is the picture of the poor injured woman.

She is indeed in yellow and has a hand clapper by her side.

I don't know if this pic is actually FROM this mornings incident,

but if it is, it shows a few things.

1 ) A poor market protester in PAD yellow regalia injured by a bomber

with a PAD handclapper at her side.

2 ) That PAD supporters ARE in the poor segments also, not just upscale markets

Totally contradicting Cutty from South Kensington's trollish post just above.

So it seems now as ALSO plausible to be DAAD/UDD or the Landlords thugs,

or even both doing to jobs. Two birds in one stroke.

I was in Klong Toey market Friday and Sunday afternoons for a short time.

Nothing seemed amiss then and no sign of protests.

The Klongtoey market is owned by the Port, which is a supporter of PAD. Remember who threaten to go on strike? The port workers.

Klong Toey protest continue

source: Bangkok Post/breaking news Nov 13 2008

A group of troubled vendors at Klong Toey market reiterated on Thursday that they will continue to protest at the Ratchada-Rama IV intersection until the Port Authority of Thailand cancels the concession of managing the market by the company called Legal Professional Company Limited.

The vendors said they are not afraid of influential groups and they believed the bidding process for managing the market was not transparent.

According to the local merchants, the Port Authority had a plan to develop the market by making it an all-inclusive complex without obtaining monthly rental fees from them. However, they claimed that the new company were exploiting them and wanted to collect rental fees worth 100,000 to 200,000 baht per cubic metres of the market area.

The vendors said they will send their representatives to the Parliament, the Ministry of Transport and the Port Authority, demanding for justification.

On the explosion at the demonstration held by Klong Toey vendors on Thursday at around 2am, the police revealed that they could not determine the type of explosives used yet, and investigative units were looking into the images captured from four closed-circuit cameras to track down the culprits.

Bangkok senator Rosana Tositrakul together with a group of 40 senators and Lawyers’ Council representatives travelled to Klong Toey to receive the protest letter from the merchants.

After receiving the letter, Ms Rosana said she will coordinate with relevant units to help out the vendors in Klong Toey.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just my half a satang:

-Extremely doubtful PM Somchai or the Govt or PAD or UDD had a hand in this. HOWEVER, it's notable not a single PPP MP or Senator attended to receive the protest letter from the Klong Toey group, or to hear their grievance... nor has PM Somchai made any comment regarding this vile act (as yet). Thus the Govt's silence leaves them 'appearing' to continue a pattern of siding with 'old-school' influential and connected persons behind cowardly attacks.

PM Somchai should have come out to instantly condemn the cowardly bombing of the Klong Toey protesters and INSIST the police immediately investigate this as high up as it takes. If not for justice, then for mere self-serving purposes - afterall, the poor and trapped people of the Klong Toey slums represent the PPP/Thaksin faithful in Bangkok (despite the fact former proxy-PM Samak previously threatened to evict them en-masse). The Govt's non-response thus far to this attack may turn the tides against them in their larger ongoing 'scheme'...

Bottom and sad line, at least 2 innocent people are left hanging on in critical condition... This latest incident makes one wonder if intimidating protests of various stripes with 'bombs' has now become 'acceptable' practise (by example???) Afterall, they're seemingly condoned by a Govt whom turns a blind eye whenever it conveniently suits, appearing to 'protect' like-minded pursuits no matter how cowardly or vile, as long as they are like-minded in purpose, intent and ideology... (like some here) :o

nice way to scare of tourists and show how corrupt this country is in everything

Don't worry. No tourist goes to Klongtoey market. A bomb in Cowboy or Nana would have a different effect.

Many tourists are interested in visiting markets , how would they know the difference between Soi cowboy and Klong Toey ? Just the mention of a bomb in a Bangkok market is enough to put a damper on thier plans when you put it together with all the other 'Bad' happenings in BKK .

Just my guessing. The one that order the bombing is the one that will gain if this market is re-organised. You need to trace back to who really own this piece of land. I mean who REALLY own this land at the very end of the chain.

Yes, and then you will probably find the offender. I really beleive this is not political and purely "business" in the LOS. Paid hitmen(whether professional or not) are a very very normal part of business in Thailand and various forms of intimidation happen almost everyday! From simple vandilization to beatings to shootings to bombings. I attend many of these incidents and have also heard from a not-so-professional hit man, his story of past jobs. This is not the first bombing concerning businesses either, years ago when a retired army officer didn't get the security contract for Lotus, it was shot at with a rocket launcher! Amazingly and luckily it didn't go off after it hit! I personally tok a rarang to hospital after he was beaten by a man (who identified himself as army personell) waiting for him as he entered his luxury apartment, he said "stop complaining" as he left the beaten man (refering to his complaints of a Thai dog owner whose dog was deficating all over the apartment complex). Simple, direct, and effective and very very normal in Thailand!

Its purely part of an economic factor in the lives of richer Thais who can't get their own way and pay poorer people to do their (very) dirty work. Nothing new or suprising about it, this is life in Thailand ever since democracy(Thai version) was accepted here. It is undeniable and often transparent, and affects people from every walk of life here (mostly the poor), but even farang, police against police, rich against rich, rich against poor, etc. You guys have no idea how common this type of action is! mostly because it is not newsworthy and the police are so incompetent they can't clear the cases! But everyday all over Thailand thuggish intimidation tactics are happening, mostly for money but also for loss of face, or whatever reason.

I mentioned once before in another posting that it is scary the amount of Thais who carry weapons in their vehicles, including an abnormal amount of guns, and are quite willing to use them.

Once again, may I reiterate, don't mess with Thai people! YOU will come off worse!

i don't understand why the police simply don't arrest Thamanat Pompao the owner of the new company as it is clear that he ordered the thugs to beat up the vendors and that he sent the bomber .... what do they have in the brain ? water?

They're obviously giving him the benefit of doubt - maybe he just wants to build a park for the neighborhood community and stand for governor in the January election. :o

I don't know much about explosives but how does a bomb have a blast radius that is big enough to injure 13 people but not actually kill anyone?

Bombs can be the size of thimbles surrounded with BBs, it's not hard to make

small round charges that cause terror and minimal violence.

It is ALSO easy also to make ones that blow apart limbs and torsos for 30 meters around.

Many designs and aims and budgets in the bomb building biz.

A army stolen Claymore could have wiped out the whole crowd,

A gasoline / fertilizer bomb in a truck could have leveled 1/4 of the block around

Some gun powder from firecrackers stuffed in a small pipe could main and kill,

and do it on the cheap. Only needing a lighter and a long enough fuse.

Sad it's so easy to do, for the utterly immoral...

First I have to say I am sorry for the injured.

However, they have been warned by the PM, over the TV, radio, newspaper, etc to avoid crowed place. Yet they are foolish enough not to listen. They take their chances, so why complain.

Just like those who went to protest with PAD and UDD. They have been warned (<deleted> the no warning shot by the police) REPEATEDLY, and they should not be there in the first place. If anything happens, sorry, I have to say "SERVE THEM RIGHT".

You see, there are several warning not to visit Thailand at the moment. I took the advice. Else, who known, I may be one of the Klongtoey victims while sight-seeing.

Edited by CuttySark

I had finished a -webcam- meeting with my partners in America, when I heard the loud and obvious sound of this bomb... Tried all over to see if any signs (we live in a high building) and did not even police-rescue vehicles or anything making any sounds for quite a while after... poor people...

As usual, "the skinny dog gets all the ticks"... Those with huge part and the real responsibilities on the definitive matters, only "watch the bulls from the stands"... Too sad... however normal in today's world :o

Not nice... not new... not the last one... for sure...

Actually Don, the protocol nowadays is to wait for the police to clear the scene of 'other' bombs. Its the normal way bombings work now in Thailand, the first bomb attracts police and rescue workers and then there is a second device set to go off to kill them. Often the first device is smaller the second. It would be the reason for the slow response. Normally rescue workers would arrive within 5 minutes or less, had it not been a bombing! That area is the area I work and would have attended if I my vehicle was not getting repaired.

As for the police, I assume they were either sleeping or in the Karaoke bar.

I don't know much about explosives but how does a bomb have a blast radius that is big enough to injure 13 people but not actually kill anyone?

Why would that be odd? It takes much less to injure than kill.

A shrapnel-based explosion could injure people up to 100 meters away and still not kill anyway close by (unless they are holding it).

Yes a new low,

Sad, too sad.

Why do you have to bring politics and ridiculous conspiracy theories into every thread? You really need to turn the PC off and get some sleep....

that changes the message to the inverse...

I quoted your post without changing a single word.

So you can stop with the accusations of mis-quoting.

Ok my dear friend, can anbody tell me what is going to happen on, and after 16. of November.

I heard loads of crap (I hope) . please explain :D

Remember, remember, the xxth of November!!!!

Gunpowder, treason and plot.

I know of no reason why gunpowder, treason

Should ever, be, forgot!!!!!

Muahahahahaha :o

"But on this most auspicious of nights (TIT, pick a day in Nov/Dec :D ), permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace soubriquet (again TIT, pick a day of Whiskey/Sang Som numbness - pedants beware, I'm not suggesting soubriquet is a substitute for numbness, but hmmm..... there's a thought :D ), to suggest the character of this dramatis persona (**cough**gov't**cough). Voila! In view humble vaudevillian veteran (***cough***Isaaners love him)**cough), cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate ("My fault? No. It's the PADs fault!"). This visage, no mere veneer of vanity (I wouldn't say Vanity, per se...), is a vestige of the “vox populi” now vacant, vanished (OH SO TRUE). However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin, van guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition (Ultraman??? Can you save us???)

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. (God help us.... :D )"

Perfect piece of assonance. Majored in prose and Latin, no doubt. I've never seen so many regimented Vs. Well done.

Yes a new low,

Sad, too sad.

Nobody mentioned PAD or DAAD before your post so why do you say "Yes blame it on unrest, PAD, DAAD etc,"? Just who are you saying "Yes" to?

Why do you have to bring politics and ridiculous conspiracy theories into every thread? You really need to turn the PC off and get some sleep....

that changes the message to the inverse...

I quoted your post without changing a single word.

So you can stop with the accusations of mis-quoting.

Yes it was above, and then pulled out again out of context.

Which removed the obvious sarcasm and irony from the statement.

Clearly some low life was using the announcement of unrest

as cover to diffuse potential blame onto others, the obvious others.

First I have to say I am sorry for the injured.

However, they have been warned by the PM, over the TV, radio, newspaper, etc to avoid crowed place. Yet they are foolish enough not to listen. They take their chances, so why complain.

Just like those who went to protest with PAD and UDD. They have been warned (<deleted> the no warning shot by the police) REPEATEDLY, and they should not be there in the first place. If anything happens, sorry, I have to say "SERVE THEM RIGHT".

You see, there are several warning not to visit Thailand at the moment. I took the advice. Else, who known, I may be one of the Klongtoey victims while sight-seeing.

Politics aside now, yet weren't you the one who didn't even know where Khlong toey market is located?

Would it be nice if the PM drew a map for us every week or day, pointing out the un-crowded areas in Krungthep??? He will surely guarantee these are the areas uncrowded.