Bombing Injures 13 At Open Market In Bangkok

taxexile

I live about 500m from there, and did not hear a thing, although wife has been down to get the oil on what was going on, and word on the street is it involves a Younger/Elder brother feud, one of which has brought in some ghetto support. Any rate I'm not walking down there at any time.

Oz

That's probably a wise course of action to not take (but not a very bold statement coming from a "samurai"---so you send your wife?). Any one that would drop an explosive device into a crowd of poor vendors just trying to make a living (or order someone else to do so) is lower than pond scum! The human race needs some kind of litmus test to identify those that are greedy, violent in nature, and uncaring of the life and comfort of others. Those types need to be isolated and restricted (but, these days they seem to be the 'majority'...so it won't be happening anytime soon). Incidentally, people don't live in ghettos by choice and no civilized country should allow conditions that make them necessary.

I was lucky enough to watch the Loy Kratong celebration in my village here in northern Thailand and there were several fireworks explosions strong enough to shake the ground 1/2 k across the rice paddies. They were for amusement here but one or more of those would cause great damage in a crowded marketplace.

Sounds like the bottom line is that the Port Authority needs to be cleaned up. The rampant corruption of public officials is certainly not unique to Thailand but, IMHO, I think the King should devote what energies he can spare to correcting governmental corruption and commercial cheats. He is the only individual here with the influence to effect any substantial changes. Good luck, Thailand...you're too great a nation & people to allow the few 'rich & still greedy' to ruin your country's reputation and concern for the less fortunate.

Paul, MaeRim

A litmus test, that's an interesting idea. Can any imagine what life was like before the 10 commandments? Look how well they worked out. How about the 10 Litmus Commandments? If one doesn't "operate" within the rules of the 10 Litmus Commandments, then you are bad.

Thailand...you're too great a nation & people to allow the few 'rich & still greedy' to ruin your country's reputation and concern for the less fortunate. I couldn't help to think of the USA and the level of corruption there. The rich are richer maak maak! the poor are poorer and there are more than before.

Incidentally, people don't live in ghettos by choice and no civilized country should allow conditions that make them necessary. Actually yesl they do! It's the choice of those that work outside of the 10 Litmus Commandments. It's called suppression. You make the slaves to the monetary system live in such horrendous conditions that all they can concentrate on is just trying to make ends meet, even if the means are insufficient in the end. If you are sick and weak, we are going to charge you everything you have, and take everything from you and still you will die, but this time without your dignity. Actually this part is an assumption because I don't know how your previous deaths went down. So is Thailand "too great a nation"? I don't know, it seems right in line with the westernization of the culture. Why should they be different, easy to judge, where is the judge?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing wrong with hurdling a bomb into a crowd in Thailand. The PAD does it all the time, they even have armed guards who are allowed to shoot policemen who are refused helpo by Chulalongkorn hospital aftwerwards for doing their duty. Most marketplaces are led by outright criminals murder, bombings and extortion are rather common. Both here as over the border. The problem is that most standup guys in unifrom are criminals. That is why they can drive a 7 million baht Benz with a petrol bill which is higher than their monthly salary. The problem is that criminality by the elite is tolerated in Thailand, even admired. Only the poor get locked up.

Sadly enough we will have to face much larger scale bombings later. Probably again carried out by the PAD to discredit Thaksin around New Year.

Ironic that the Prime Minister knew about this beforehand, huh?

PLEASE OBSERVE THIS............ IT IS KEY. WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOLLOW THE MONEY................

This is very sad. My condolences to the families also.

Now clear this up for me; The lease of the land that this market is on, is soon being passed on to another leasor? The new leasor has plans to use the land for something other than the current markets? Evicting the current tenants.

Consequently one asks, would there be reasons for the to-be-evicted to hurt their own? Not many.

And would a new leasor really want hurt the current tenants? Threaten them to vacate by violence?? Violence just breeds more hatred and dissent. It is obvious that this kind of provocation would only just obstruct the plans of the new leasor?! Only to backfire.

It doesn't add up.

Was this done in duress to fuel a potential dispute? Was this a genuine act of provocation, or one to make future events appear like retaliation? Was this done to demonize the new leasor in the eyes of the current tenants?

Was a 3rd party involved?

It happened almost like clockwork after the PM's warning, indicating the PM must have had some form of concrete intel to trigger such a press release.

My nose is an old friend of mine, and he tells me something smells.

Ok my dear friend, can anbody tell me what is going to happen on, and after 16. of November.

I heard loads of crap (I hope) . please explain :D

Remember, remember, the xxth of November!!!!

Gunpowder, treason and plot.

I know of no reason why gunpowder, treason

Should ever, be, forgot!!!!!

Muahahahahaha :o

"But on this most auspicious of nights (TIT, pick a day in Nov/Dec :D ), permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace soubriquet (again TIT, pick a day of Whiskey/Sang Som numbness - pedants beware, I'm not suggesting soubriquet is a substitute for numbness, but hmmm..... there's a thought :D ), to suggest the character of this dramatis persona (**cough**gov't**cough). Voila! In view humble vaudevillian veteran (***cough***Isaaners love him)**cough), cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate ("My fault? No. It's the PADs fault!"). This visage, no mere veneer of vanity (I wouldn't say Vanity, per se...), is a vestige of the “vox populi” now vacant, vanished (OH SO TRUE). However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin, van guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition (Ultraman??? Can you save us???)

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. (God help us.... :D )"

If the Prime Minister knew about this in advance, why would he announce it, implicating himself? No, he announced it as a warning, because he was afraid that there would be people who would take advantage of the public celebrations to make a political statement. He would be insane to announce it if he knew the time, place, and nature of the attack in advance. Most likely, the people responsible for this took advantage of the announcement, timing it to coincide with the date that the PM warned about. It is an attempt to create plausible deniability.

man that is horrible.

kinda obvious who did it tho.

only 1 group wanted the protesters gone.

(hint - new landlord)

no one will be charged tho i'm sure...

Well that's exactly it. It's just TOO obvious.

Either the new landlord thinks he is invincible, and he's incredibly stupid and inhumane.

Or, it's a setup, to make him look that way, fueling chaos, and potentially stalling the land transfer.

Or, it's just to make the govt look right all the time based on their intel.

Or, someone picked up on the govt PR, and timed an incident to make the govt look involved.

Or, it's totally random,

Or, it's just another NWO event to cause more chaos, and dissolve the Muang Thai from within.

Or, it's something else.

Edited by deeveloper

Warning! This country is owned and operated, and inhabited by Thai people, enter at your own risk.

that actually is a very good idea , given the way things work here.

Spotted at a little-used, small, backwoods border crossing coming over from the Lao frontier....

borderwarning.jpg

Hey Sriracha John: Your sign is obviously a phony. I love the Thais dearly but they have never put that many English words together without a grammatical error or misspelled word or two...

shucks... you Seminoles are just too hard to fool... :o

and yes, just to confirm to anyone else who couldn't sort it out, it was indeed a phony.

As penance... I submit the following... which, very sadly, is NOT a phony....

r2743639780.jpg

People tend to an injured street vendor after a bomb blast in Bangkok November 13, 2008. A bomb thrown at a rally of Thai market vendors protesting over new rental contracts in Bangkok wounded 13 people, police and witnesses said on Thursday.

REUTERS

Edited by sriracha john

Yes a new low,

and a action of opportunity, considering the government talk the last two days.

Yes blame it on unrest, PAD, DAAD etc, anyone but the new landlords trying to clear out

the poor street vendors. So far no one has died, but that may not last long.

Sad, too sad.

My condolences to the families of the injured.

Nobody mentiioned PAD or DAAD before your post so why do you say "Yes blame it on unrest, PAD, DAAD etc,"? Just who are you saying "Yes" to?

Why do you have to bring politics and ridiculous conspiracy theories into every thread? You really need to turn the PC off and get some sleep.

And what are you implying?

My condolences to the families of the deceased. I hope the Thai Police make a determined effort to catch the culprit.

It used to be that fires were lit and people's homes burnt down when they wanted the land. This is a new low.

Peter

If I understand it right there were "only" injuries... still, my condolences to the people affected.

Warning! This country is owned and operated, and inhabited by Thai people, enter at your own risk.

Agreed, it would help understanding that Thais will be respectful, kind an smiling people until they get pissed off, then they turn into people that tend to go crazy with no thoughts about the consequences. Read the Thai daily newspapers (just look at the pictures on the front page and ask what the killing was about) usually it's reasons "we" wouldn't even get in a fight about, and if it wouldn't end in a death but in a blue eye or two. A human life is not worth much here... keeping face, or simply getting what you want can easily top that.

Edited by jbhh

Ok my dear friend, can anbody tell me what is going to happen on, and after 16. of November.

I heard loads of crap (I hope) . please explain :o

It looks as if the cynicism of the Thai elites will reach a new level. Directed Anarchy is the tool of choice, the Thai people are both those being manipulated and always, for sure, the losers. Time to grieve for LOS.

Bomb injures 13 at Bangkok open market

Asia-Pacific News

Nov 13, 2008, 1:57 GMT

Bangkok - A bomb hurled Thursday morning at protestors at Klong Toey Market in Bangkok injured 13 people, two of whom were in critical condition, police said.

'Eyewitnesses said the bomb was thrown by a man on a motorcycle from the bridge that overlooks the market,' said Police Colonel Suthip Palitkusontat, of the Klong Toey Port Police Station.

Vendors at the famed open air market - the largest in the capital - have been protesting efforts to evict them by a private company that won a new lease on the area on October 29.

The market is owned by the Port Authority of Thailand (PAT), the state enterprise that operates Bangkok's Klong Toey Port and other commercial ports in the kingdom.

In March, the PAT ended its concession with the previous operator of Klong Toey market, and took new bids from the private sector.

Legal Professional Company was granted the concession on October 29, but the old operator, comprising three companies, has refused to vacate the market and continues to collect rents from more than 1,000 vendors, PAT officials said.

The chairman of Legal Professional is Thamanat Pompao, whom Klong Toey vendors claim is a former army captain with a criminal record.

The vendors, worried that Legal Professional will increase their rents, have been protesting against the new management since Tuesday, disrupting traffic in the area.

The protest was stopped temporarily on Thursday, in a show of deference to the royal funeral for Princess Galyani Vadhana, King Bhumibol Adulyadej's eldest sister who died in January.

Protests are set to resume after the funeral ends on Tuesday.

copyright_notice.gif

Spotted at a little-used, small, backwoods border crossing coming over from the Lao frontier....

borderwarning.jpg

Hey Sriracha John: Your sign is obviously a phony. I love the Thais dearly but they have never put that many English words together without a grammatical error or misspelled word or two...

Hey, John, doesn't your software have a facility to make the text in the same perspective and the metal sign? If a jobs worth doing it's worth doing well.

Having said that, it's quite funny. Thanks. :o

borderwarning.jpg

Hey, John, doesn't your software have a facility to make the text in the same perspective and the metal sign? If a jobs worth doing it's worth doing well.

Having said that, it's quite funny. Thanks. :D

mai pen rai... welcome... :o

and of course, Photoshop's CSS Suite has all sorts of bells and whistles... BUT... if remembering the context... a remote border outpost sign... it would be expected that the printing would be off-kilter...fsuthai did have it correct, tho'... I screwed up when I spelled everything correctly... which would be unexpected.

Edited by sriracha john

i don't understand why the police simply don't arrest Thamanat Pompao the owner of the new company as it is clear that he ordered the thugs to beat up the vendors and that he sent the bomber .... what do they have in the brain ? water?

I don't know what fascist dictatorship you come from, but in most civilised countries there must be some evidence of a crime no matter how "obvious" the situation. I don't understand why Thai people tolerate the abuse they receive on a daily basis in this forum. Come to Ireland and say something like "what do they have in the brain ? water?" and you'll get forty shades of <deleted> kicked out of you.

Edited by dubstar

There is nothing wrong with hurdling a bomb into a crowd in Thailand. The PAD does it all the time, they even have armed guards who are allowed to shoot policemen who are refused helpo by Chulalongkorn hospital aftwerwards for doing their duty. Most marketplaces are led by outright criminals murder, bombings and extortion are rather common. Both here as over the border. The problem is that most standup guys in unifrom are criminals. That is why they can drive a 7 million baht Benz with a petrol bill which is higher than their monthly salary. The problem is that criminality by the elite is tolerated in Thailand, even admired. Only the poor get locked up.

Sadly enough we will have to face much larger scale bombings later. Probably again carried out by the PAD to discredit Thaksin around New Year.

You are suggesting that the Prime Minister had foreknowledge of thugs using bombs to intimidate people off land? :o Quite an outrageous claim.

You are suggesting that the Prime Minister had foreknowledge of thugs using bombs to intimidate people off land? Quite an outrageous claim.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due and in light of the bombing last night, I see the Prime Minister was spot on with his bombing warning, given Tuesday, for last night.

As far as I know, regarding the post I quoted, PAD issued no such warning, much less one given with such precision.

Edited by sriracha john

Sorry, I mixed up the names. It says Klong Toey Market. Is this the same as Jatujak/Chatuchak?

No this are very different markets. Chatuchak is the weekend market and Klong Toey is a daily vegetable and food market. They are also fa from each other. Klong Toey is kind of port area and Chatuchak is in the north near the northern railway junction.

I think the warning of the PM and the bombing in Klong Toey are two different shoes. First was a political message (about upcoming political unrest incl. bombing) and second one is (I guess) a poor criminal act (means not politically motivated) "just" a land issue!

Whatever, poor way to try solve problems in any case!

That's why there is a saying here when anything happens,"TIT" (This Is Thailand). Welcome to the country where you can get someone killed for 10,000 baht, maimed for 1000 baht and get off a murder charge for 40,000 baht, because the police are on the take (read Corrupt).

Where a man kills another man, flees the country, and comes back to get a job in politics.......there is just no end to the corruption here, it is endemic throughout almost every level, and what is worse is that the "system" is designed to incorporate it!.

I don't ever think that Thailand will escape from it as it is part of life here.

Sad when innocent people get killed and maimed. Conolences to them and their families.