Ex-pats Everywhere

An interesting piece at the link below talks of potential problems facing ex-pats in Spain hence is relevant to Thailand:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20081114/tuk-e...er-6323e80.html

This article is full of disinformation.

1 if EU expats needs medical or social care the bill is send to the British health or social service, who will pay back the Spanish health or Social service. This is an EU standard procedure for every EU citizen who is living or visiting another EU member state. This is also the case for expats or tourists who stay in Morocco or Turkey, because we give the same service to their Nationals.

2 If there is an adversity against some British its only against some kind of tourists who only see Spain as an place where they can get drunk an act like barbarians. And this is not only so for Brits but also for some German and Dutch tourists, and not only in Spain but allover Europe. (There are even some organized British, sex group tours to the Baltic states.) Further more Spain have a huge illegal immigration problem, because the African coast is only 5K across the sea.

3 its not the Polish bricklayer who is the problem for the Brits but the millions of Muslims who like to create an Islamic state in the UK, and the millions of illegal immigrants from outside Europe, and also this is the same problem allover Europe.

4 there are millions of expat retirees in Spain and many of them only spend the winter months over there, They are a main source of income for the Spanish economy, besides the almost 60 millions tourists who visit Spain every year, because its the most popular holiday destination in Europe.

If an expat in LOS is keeping low profile and respect the local culture, habits and social behaviour, there will be no problems what so ever for him or her . So I see no relevance to make any comparison with that article.

Although I have very strong feelings for Spain over the past years the resentment towards the foreigner has become more and more, I know this as I have family that have lived there for years. It has nothing to do with the stereo type drunk you get in Benidorm it is the fact that from the Costa Brava to the Costa Del Sol, the rest of Europe has had hundreds of thousands of retirement or holiday home Villas built pushing the locals further and further back inland. Yes OK it has made lots of Spanish employed on the Costa's, Taxi drivers, waitresses, Hotel staff etc but what about the thousands and thousand of others that aren't employed? It must be sole destroying watching people from other countries having great big villas built when you haven't even got a job.

Spain is a prime example of why Thailand do not allow foreigners to buy land, and to be honest I think their right. This is Thailand and the land is Thai end of story. There is already resentment from "some" Thai men about foreigners being here but that is just about the women and money side of it. Now can you imagine what would happen if they let any tom, dick or harry from any nationality buy land here and set up businesses without having to employ locals? I think the resentment would be pushed to the limits like were now seeing in Spain.

The UK is a completely opposite most foreigners who move there arrive without a pot to piss in so they work for peanuts and take jobs from the British that was once being paid a reasonable salary for. I remember seeing an add in one of the local papers in London 3 or 4 years ago, it read something like, "What ever your quote is we will half it, Polish qualified builders". That is a prime example of why the UK has so much resentment for some foreigners.

What with the global financial crisis now it has just added fuel to the fire in a very big way.

An interesting piece at the link below talks of potential problems facing ex-pats in Spain hence is relevant to Thailand:

Bloody hel_l...800,000 British Ex pats......Nightmareville. If ever that many turn up here I just hope Pattaya and Hua Hin can absorb 799,998....of 'em. The odd one or two in Bangkok probably won't hurt :o

Although I have very strong feelings for Spain over the past years the resentment towards the foreigner has become more and more, I know this as I have family that have lived there for years. It has nothing to do with the stereo type drunk you get in Benidorm it is the fact that from the Costa Brava to the Costa Del Sol, the rest of Europe has had hundreds of thousands of retirement or holiday home Villas built pushing the locals further and further back inland. Yes OK it has made lots of Spanish employed on the Costa's, Taxi drivers, waitresses, Hotel staff etc but what about the thousands and thousand of others that aren't employed? It must be sole destroying watching people from other countries having great big villas built when you haven't even got a job.

Spain is a prime example of why Thailand do not allow foreigners to buy land, and to be honest I think their right. This is Thailand and the land is Thai end of story. There is already resentment from "some" Thai men about foreigners being here but that is just about the women and money side of it. Now can you imagine what would happen if they let any tom, dick or harry from any nationality buy land here and set up businesses without having to employ locals? I think the resentment would be pushed to the limits like were now seeing in Spain.

The UK is a completely opposite most foreigners who move there arrive without a pot to piss in so they work for peanuts and take jobs from the British that was once being paid a reasonable salary for. I remember seeing an add in one of the local papers in London 3 or 4 years ago, it read something like, "What ever your quote is we will half it, Polish qualified builders". That is a prime example of why the UK has so much resentment for some foreigners.

What with the global financial crisis now it has just added fuel to the fire in a very big way.

So you will not allow the Thousands of Thai people oversees also to buy a house or open a busines like they are doing now, and only have Thai employer who they pay a mediocre salary in black much lower than the minimum wage of the country.

This article is full of disinformation.

1 if EU expats needs medical or social care the bill is send to the British health or social service, who will pay back the Spanish health or Social service. This is an EU standard procedure for every EU citizen who is living or visiting another EU member state. This is also the case for expats or tourists who stay in Morocco or Turkey, because we give the same service to their Nationals.

2 If there is an adversity against some British its only against some kind of tourists who only see Spain as an place where they can get drunk an act like barbarians. And this is not only so for Brits but also for some German and Dutch tourists, and not only in Spain but allover Europe. (There are even some organized British, sex group tours to the Baltic states.) Further more Spain have a huge illegal immigration problem, because the African coast is only 5K across the sea.

3 its not the Polish bricklayer who is the problem for the Brits but the millions of Muslims who like to create an Islamic state in the UK, and the millions of illegal immigrants from outside Europe, and also this is the same problem allover Europe.

4 there are millions of expat retirees in Spain and many of them only spend the winter months over there, They are a main source of income for the Spanish economy, besides the almost 60 millions tourists who visit Spain every year, because its the most popular holiday destination in Europe.

If an expat in LOS is keeping low profile and respect the local culture, habits and social behaviour, there will be no problems what so ever for him or her . So I see no relevance to make any comparison with that article.

While most of the post is reasonable the quote about millions of immigrants from outside europe is just plain wrong and smacks of the dreaded "Sun" headline syndrome. I would have thought that someone using thai visa would be well aware of just how difficult it is for non eu people to get visas of any kind for the uk. Settlement visas are the hardest of all and this has been so for many years now.

The actual numbers of non eu settlement visa applications in 2006/7 was 102,360. with 85000 issued. A very small number.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/doc...81/stats2006-07

Please dont feed the general levels of mindless bigotry and intolerance that is becoming so prevalent.