When Might I Get Pulled Over By The Police On The Fwy?

Lopburi99

Next week I will be driving alone for the first time from Lopburi to Bangkok. In the past I have seen police pull over selected vehicles from random locations on a freeway for a records check.

I don't want to be pulled over because I don't want to be retained because my name is not on the car/insurance papers (my gf's is), not to mention the language problem in trying to communicate with them.

Anybody know if the criteria is strictly random or based on the city on the license plate, like being from a different province? BTW, we still have the red "new car" plate so might that be an additional risk?

Thanks.

Make sure you have the little red book that comes with the plates and you will be fine. dont worry just smile and relax. if you get pulled over it might be to check that you have the book. not a big deal. dont worry.

Next week I will be driving alone for the first time from Lopburi to Bangkok. In the past I have seen police pull over selected vehicles from random locations on a freeway for a records check.

I don't want to be pulled over because I don't want to be retained because my name is not on the car/insurance papers (my gf's is), not to mention the language problem in trying to communicate with them.

Anybody know if the criteria is strictly random or based on the city on the license plate, like being from a different province? BTW, we still have the red "new car" plate so might that be an additional risk?

Thanks.

Often random, sometimes just a farang driving, but not to worry. Smile a lot, don't speak Thai, pull out your expired AAA IDP and show that, usually works even if they're looking for a baht 200 donation.

FYI, I've been driving that portion from Saraburi to Rangsit & Bangkok for lots of years, not really that many stops, ever. Indeed, none when I came down this noon.

Mac

This used to worry me until I went to speak to the insurance company direct, bi passing the brokers. It appears that the situation here is not the same as in the U.K where it is the driver that is insured. Here, it is the vehicle that is insured, meaning anyone driving the vehicle is covered ( at least, on 3rd party insurance anyway ) . I lost a 500 baht bet with my Thai friends over this !! When I was in the insurance companies office I argued with them too........

.' Supposing a 10 year old child steals someones car keys, goes driving and has an accident injuring someone,....are you telling me that the car is still insured ????? "

" yes sir.....still insured "

" What about a clever monkey escaped from a zoo !! " thought I had them here.

' Yes sir, car still insured "

I mentioned this to a German friend and he reckons it is the same in Germany " Only you stupid English have ze driver insured "

So........ you should be o.k. driving to Bangkok providing you have a valid international driving license. However...don't take my word for this. Look into it yourself and see what they tell you. I still find it a bit strange myself and am only reporting what I have been told. ( Got a new gf now and drive her car on her insurance and have been told exactly the same. She hasn't even got a driving licence because she can't drive !!! ) :o

Mind you....if you're driving a pick up truck ( rot graba ) then you have a good chance of being pulled over because the BIB love to hassle pick up drivers especially from up country. A few red ones should smooth any difficulties providing you are discrete.

This used to worry me until I went to speak to the insurance company direct, bi passing the brokers. It appears that the situation here is not the same as in the U.K where it is the driver that is insured. Here, it is the vehicle that is insured, meaning anyone driving the vehicle is covered ( at least, on 3rd party insurance anyway ) . I lost a 500 baht bet with my Thai friends over this !! When I was in the insurance companies office I argued with them too........

.' Supposing a 10 year old child steals someones car keys, goes driving and has an accident injuring someone,....are you telling me that the car is still insured ????? "

" yes sir.....still insured "

" What about a clever monkey escaped from a zoo !! " thought I had them here.

' Yes sir, car still insured "

I mentioned this to a German friend and he reckons it is the same in Germany " Only you stupid English have ze driver insured "

So........ you should be o.k. driving to Bangkok providing you have a valid international driving license. However...don't take my word for this. Look into it yourself and see what they tell you. I still find it a bit strange myself and am only reporting what I have been told. ( Got a new gf now and drive her car on her insurance and have been told exactly the same. She hasn't even got a driving licence because she can't drive !!! ) :o

Mind you....if you're driving a pick up truck ( rot graba ) then you have a good chance of being pulled over because the BIB love to hassle pick up drivers especially from up country. A few red ones should smooth any difficulties providing you are discrete.

ha ha, I was just about to say this, or sort of anyway. as far as I know, this is true...... :D

Thanks.

Often random, sometimes just a farang driving, but not to worry. Smile a lot, don't speak Thai, pull out your expired AAA IDP and show that, usually works even if they're looking for a baht 200 donation.

FYI, I've been driving that portion from Saraburi to Rangsit & Bangkok for lots of years, not really that many stops, ever. Indeed, none when I came down this noon.

Mac

Thanks Mac (and the others). Yes, the car is insured and the saleslady at the dealership knew I would be driving (and paying) for it. I was also told it is the car, not the driver, which is insured. BTW, I do have my new Thai drivers license which I just realized has the same address on it as the car's papers. Interesting point not to try to speak Thai, just smile - OK, will do. It is a Toyota Altis, not a pickup, but I'll make sure to have some "red ones" handy just in case whenever I drive.

Edited by Lopburi99

As many have pointed out the insurance is on the vehicle not the driver. It means anyone that has a valid drivers license driving said vehicle will be covered. There are exceptions in that you can reduce the cost of your insurance by 3000 baht plus per year if you limit the number of insured drivers. It allows a maximum of two drivers and they will be listed on the policy. I have done this on my vehicles (wife and self only) and it saved 3000 baht per year per vehicle. It also stopped the relatives from wanting to borrow because car would not be insured if they drive.

As many have pointed out the insurance is on the vehicle not the driver. It means anyone that has a valid drivers license driving said vehicle will be covered. There are exceptions in that you can reduce the cost of your insurance by 3000 baht plus per year if you limit the number of insured drivers. It allows a maximum of two drivers and they will be listed on the policy. I have done this on my vehicles (wife and self only) and it saved 3000 baht per year per vehicle. It also stopped the relatives from wanting to borrow because car would not be insured if they drive.

I wish I could get a 3000 baht reduction for naming 2 drivers. That way they would end up owing me a few hundred baht as our insurance last year was 2343.30 baht !!

If you own a car older than 10 years you can't get fully comprehensive cover...only third party ( no fire or theft either ). Although, it appears from my policy that although our vehicle is not covered I get 100,000 if I get killed or lose a member. Hmmm that could come in handy for bribing my way past the pearly gates :o