22-23 Degrees But Cool ?

xwteee

I have 2 thermometers in 2 different rooms and this morning they measure about 22-23 degrees Celsius, while it's quite cool in both of these rooms. In my home country with temperatures like this it would be pleasantly warm. What's going on, assuming that both thermometers work correctly ?

Have you considered that you have become aclimatized? (excues my spelling) Just like the Thai people that shiver like crazy when it gets below 15

I have thought about it but I don't think this could explain it.

Edited by xwteee

having not had a trace of illness in my nine months here i now have a full-on, stinking, bunged-up-to-the-eyeballs, traditional british cold. not happy. i had no idea the human body could possibly contain so much phlegm.

so to answer the op, i think it is definitely cooler.

Have you considered that you have become aclimatized? (excues my spelling) Just like the Thai people that shiver like crazy when it gets below 15

T'is true. I lived in SE Asia for the last +10 years. If temperature drops below 25 at night I need extra blankets. Many long time expats in BKK are enjoying the cold spell in BKK but are complaining that it is getting chilly at night.

Enjoy, before you know it'll be April again.

Cheers

R

It only takes twelve months for some persons to acclimate to a new climate. Same when Chicagoans move to south Texas. It was 18 in the room this morning, and I have slept under more than a sheet for a week now. Did not get congestion until the past couple of days. But the forecast is for highs of 32 and even 33 for the next few days, bright and dry. Great weather for any climate.

I've been in Thailand now for eight months and this is the first time I've worn a pullover. Last night I used two "eiderdowns" ; probably not filled with eider down. And I'm now sitting in front of an open window in Mae Rim and the breeze is uncomfortably COLD not cool.

CooI? Its bIoody freezing!!! (ok, not IiteraIIy, but im reaIIy feeIing the coId!)

What I dont get is Iast night i needed to wear gIoves, socks, and a duvet around me whiIst pIaying cards (but ive aIways had quite bad circuIation and aIways feIt coId in the UK), because my bf wanted aII the doors open to Iet the cooI air fIow around the house. MeanwhiIe my bf and his kids (thai) were sitting in their shorts on the coId fIoor! :o

T'is true. I lived in SE Asia for the last +10 years. If temperature drops below 25 at night I need extra blankets. Many long time expats in BKK are enjoying the cold spell in BKK but are complaining that it is getting chilly at night.

Enjoy, before you know it'll be April again.

Cheers

R

I maintain that I don't believe that the acclimatizing process is the cause of being confused about the temperature. When I return to my home country, (and I've done that regularly during the last 12 years) the moment I step off the plane I immediately have a grasp of the temperature, so when it's 22 degrees I don't consider it for one second as being "chilly".

I have 2 thermometers in 2 different rooms and this morning they measure about 22-23 degrees Celsius, while it's quite cool in both of these rooms. In my home country with temperatures like this it would be pleasantly warm. What's going on, assuming that both thermometers work correctly ?

I've often wondered this too. I was in pai earlier this week and woke up before dawn on monday absolutely freezing under one blanket. Even with a sweater and two pairs of socks, still way cold until about 9. The owner told me it had been 16 degrees when she got up. Now, 16 degrees in england does not constitute 'freezing'! I thought the temperature more like 10 degrees.

The only thing i can think of is that when we suddenly are pitched into a 16 degree temperature, the body has been used to at least, say, 30 degrees for a few months. So it move swiftly from heat to this big drop of say 15 degrees.

Now in england, the body never comes from months of such heat into a 16 degree temperature. So maybe what we're feeling is the sudden drop and huge difference in temperatures?

Now in england, the body never comes from months of such heat into a 16 degree temperature. So maybe what we're feeling is the sudden drop and huge difference in temperatures?

This sounds very plausible ...

the houses are not heated or insulated so you feel more of the true temperature from outdoors.

... as does that.

I have lived in places where the temperature was higher & lower than that of Chiang Mai in summer and winter respectively, but houses were better designed and few people used air-con/heating. There was also less pollution. I think that may be a factor.

What's the humidity level now ? If it's still high, I believe that adds to the cool factor ( as well as the discomfort during the hot weather).

I am not sure what effect the humidity has on the chill factor, Wind has virtually no effect below ten miles per hour, or temps above 20. At 10:30 pm tonight at the airport, the humidity was 78%. But when I commuted 35 km on the superhighway in December, 18 degrees was incredibly cold, even before I got to 129 kph. Brrr.

The outdoor pool has cooled off noticeably. But tomorrow and Monday, the high is 33 degrees.

Maybe humidity is a factor somehow. I went back to the Alps last Christmas, and felt a lot more comfortable with the cold on top of a glacier at 3000 metres and -20 deg C than I do right now. Zero humidity at that altitude and temperature of course.

It's cooling quite rapidly at night now, and somehow feels 'damp'... I saw one forecast for 9 or 10 degrees C. in CM next week, around Tuesday.

It only takes twelve months for some persons to acclimate to a new climate. Same when Chicagoans move to south Texas. It was 18 in the room this morning, and I have slept under more than a sheet for a week now. Did not get congestion until the past couple of days. But the forecast is for highs of 32 and even 33 for the next few days, bright and dry. Great weather for any climate.

The congestion is probably from the smoke. The burning has begun in earnest ...

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/world/Mile...n-is.4697533.jp

Mile-thick cloud of pollution is choking the planet

Perhaps most widely recognised as the haze this past summer over Beijing's Olympics, the clouds have been found to be more than a mile thick around glaciers in the Himalaya and Hindu Kush mountain ranges.

They hide the sun and absorb radiation, leading to new worries not only about global climate change but also about extreme weather conditions.