Do Private Schools Have The Same Requirements?

skybluestu

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knew if teachers at private schools had to meet the same requirements as those at government schools? I ask this because I was led to believe that you could not get a teaching WP without a degree but my school (private) employed me back in May and got me a teaching WP with no problem even though I only have a 2yr diploma & TEFL. I have friends from the TEFL course I was on who can't get a WP because they do not have a degree but they are employed at government schools. I have also read a lot about teachers having to do a cultural course and also a teachers licence being introduced, is this a requirement at the moment?

Thanks for any information

S

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knew if teachers at private schools had to meet the same requirements as those at government schools? I ask this because I was led to believe that you could not get a teaching WP without a degree but my school (private) employed me back in May and got me a teaching WP with no problem even though I only have a 2yr diploma & TEFL. I have friends from the TEFL course I was on who can't get a WP because they do not have a degree but they are employed at government schools. I have also read a lot about teachers having to do a cultural course and also a teachers licence being introduced, is this a requirement at the moment?

Thanks for any information

S

Depends on the school's admin. Technically a government school can get a wp for teachers without a degree. There are no government regulations concerning a government organisation employing a foreigner because Thai government organisations can only employ Thai nationals. Thai government schools get around this by providing a special employment contract that's between the school and the foreigner. If the school doesn't get a wp for a degree-less teacher, it's probably because either they don't know how or they can't be bothered. They employed the teacher in the first place remember knowing the teacher didn't have a degree and they also know their responsibilities, but...