Recently Moved To Samui Need Marmite...

Hi there.

We have recently moved to Samui in Lamai from Korat. I am in need of my daily fix of Marmite. Could anyone be as kind to tell me if it's available here and where? Also maybe Branston pickle..?

Cheers.

You can get both at Colibris in chaweng.

Hi there.

We have recently moved to Samui in Lamai from Korat. I am in need of my daily fix of Marmite. Could anyone be as kind to tell me if it's available here and where? Also maybe Branston pickle..?

Cheers.

Excellent... That would be fantastic. Do you live near Lamai? i will meet you and give you the cash.. Or i will find the shop in Chaweng if it's a problem... either way thanks for the info...

I have tried Vegishite when i lived in Aus... Sorry it's no way as nice as Marmite...

:o

Hi there.

Cheers.

Excellent... That would be fantastic. Do you live near Lamai? i will meet you and give you the cash.. Or i will find the shop in Chaweng if it's a problem... either way thanks for the info...

I have tried Vegishite when i lived in Aus... Sorry it's no way as nice as Marmite...

:D

Sorry don't know what happened there... i was ment to Quote "you should be shot for liking marmite i'm bringing pg tips and oxo cubes in a few weeks i can add marmite if you like " and i Quoted myself ... :o

Sorry to trash up the thread (as ususal :D ) but i have to say, you just recently came to Samui but you already need marmite?

You English guys, why do you even bother to leave your country?

Now heres a crasy idea, why not try tom yam soop, or kao pat gai, pad thai, or some other delesios meal from over here. Or perhaps...i don´t know...go back? :o .

Kidding, there´s many enough of you here already for you to find your marmite.

Dont worry! :D .

Sorry to trash up the thread (as ususal :D ) but i have to say, you just recently came to Samui but you already need marmite?

Now heres a crasy idea, why not try tom yam soop, or kao pat gai, pad thai, or some other delesios meal from over here. Or perhaps...i don´t know...go back? :o .

I tried substituting tom yam soop for branston but it made the bread soggy in my cheese sarnies.

A segment of expats here have no interest in Thailand, the people, culture,food, etc. They just want a cheap, warm place to live without giving up much of what they had back home that they do like. They want to eat the same food, watch the same TV/sport, hang out with the same people (of their own culture). There's nothing wrong with that, it just seems odd to those who ARE interested in other cultures.

These people are on the opposite end of the spectrum from the expats who "go native". You know those people - they think they are Thai, wear "pajamas" all the time except yellow shirts on Monday, speaking Thai isn't enough, they must learn to read and write as well and pity those expats who can't. Some go so far as to renounce their own citizenship to become a Thai citizen. Nothing wrong with that, just seems odd to those who like Thailand but know they'll never be Thai.

I tried substituting tom yam soop for branston but it made the bread soggy in my cheese sarnies.

I been trying for years with my limited Thai (i´m not a citizen, i only half-decent speak their language) to get them to tell all English people that tom yam is not for putting in sandwiches, it´s not a substitute for branston, but i don´t seem to get them to understand. I´m so sorry for that. :D

Perhaps if i knew how to write in Thai it would be easier to explain but (pity me if you want) i don´t. :o

Anyway, for the op i can only second what others say. Jp market in banrak have marmite and other western delicacies. Only shame about them now is they don´t sell ANY bread because they opened a bakery across the street. So you do all your shopping in jp and have to go across the street for bread!

Crazy, but do pay them a visit. They got alot of the stuff others don´t.

Thanks everyone for the information.. I have found some now.. in Chaweng.. And as a reply to the post quoted here... I have been living in Thailand for 11 years and rushed around to move, Forgot the Marmite in BKK as i do eat Thai food but do also like something i grew up with... And why do we leave England... well i love Thailand, Its a good enough reason for me... :D

Thanks again everyone for the info anyway.

I still need my chunky peanut butter fix every now and then. And I know some Scandanavians around here that need that salty, black, liquorice Finnish candy. It seems all cultures have a comfort food that is an acquired taste and most others find nasty the first time they taste it. Peanut butter, vegemite, maramite, salty liquorice - any other examples out there? What about Thais? What do they try to find when they are living outside their country/region?

I still need my chunky peanut butter fix every now and then. And I know some Scandanavians around here that need that salty, black, liquorice Finnish candy. It seems all cultures have a comfort food that is an acquired taste and most others find nasty the first time they taste it. Peanut butter, vegemite, maramite, salty liquorice - any other examples out there? What about Thais? What do they try to find when they are living outside their country/region?

Well the story changed when op let us know he been 10 years in thailand. From "recently" arrived wich to me make a huge difference. Off course after being abroad sometime you miss somethings from back home.

Thai abroad, hahaha.

First time my wife came to Sweden a few years ago, she was there 5 weeks and didnt try ANY Swedish food at all. She bought everything in the thaishops and cooked herself. Good for me at that time, i was working and came home to my apartment with thai dinner served. Pad ka pao, kao tom kung and so on. Thing is, she didnt even trust Swedish shops for minced meet or mushrooms or any other things that we could have bought cheap and fresh. In the begining it all had to be imported frozen from Thailand. She then learned how to use local groceries. And this summer she learned how to eat and cook some Swedish food. My mom and my wife had great experiences teaching eashother the different cooking. For me thats all good since my wife now can do some of the stuff i occasionally miss from back home. But i´ve been back here only 2 months so yet i don´t miss anything. But i suppose a nice "janssons frestelse" (ansjovispotato-dish), and some good meatballs will be nice around christmas time. :o

Hi there.

Cheers.

Hi all.

I did actually say in my first post i have recently move to Samui From Korat..... Not from England..

Anyway no problem i am just greatful for the help.. :D

When my wife came to stay in the UK for a few months some years back she told me she really missed Som Tum the way it's made in Korat... She said the samples she got while living away where not as good as at home. :o

I belive a good majority of people miss somethings from thier native countries. I have sat with a table full of people from different countries and every one had at last 1 thing they said they would like... I wanted Marmite, an American wanted Pumpkin Pie, a German wanted the bread he used to get at home..

Each to his own ... i am glad to have moved to this beautiful island and have these things available to me now as in Korat it was not...

Edited by george and dragon

A segment of expats here have no interest in Thailand, the people, culture,food, etc. They just want a cheap, warm place to live without giving up much of what they had back home that they do like. They want to eat the same food, watch the same TV/sport, hang out with the same people (of their own culture). There's nothing wrong with that, it just seems odd to those who ARE interested in other cultures.

These people are on the opposite end of the spectrum from the expats who "go native". You know those people - they think they are Thai, wear "pajamas" all the time except yellow shirts on Monday, speaking Thai isn't enough, they must learn to read and write as well and pity those expats who can't. Some go so far as to renounce their own citizenship to become a Thai citizen. Nothing wrong with that, just seems odd to those who like Thailand but know they'll never be Thai.

He only wants some Marmite. That's not too much of a request is it!!!!!! Bloody expats, some of you have a right old chip on your shoulder.

He only wants some Marmite. That's not too much of a request is it!!!!!! Bloody expats, some of you have a right old chip on your shoulder.

He got his mermatie, we all already agreed on his reasons, wich i missunderstood as a recently arrived Englishman that need marmite on his arrival, (beleive me i meet these guys), and i was wrong. He is a long term expat that sometimes covits something from home and he got it already throught this thread.

So chill.

You sound like the one with a chip on their shoulder. Be careful, you know what can happen to those.

I wasn't criticising George or anyone else. I was simply pointing out diff types of expats. You live in paradise - so relax already.

You sound like the one with a chip on their shoulder. Be careful, you know what can happen to those.

I wasn't criticising George or anyone else. I was simply pointing out diff types of expats. You live in paradise - so relax already.

Marmite....You either LOVE IT or HATE IT :(:D (as the ad goes)

Just like some of the poster's on here. Blimey, i've got too much time on my hands if im talking about Marmite all day.

What else can i put the World to rights on???? :D

And some people who like to eat the food that they have been brought up on for the last 40-50 years..nothing wrong with that either

And some people who like to eat the food that they have been brought up on for the last 40-50 years..nothing wrong with that either

Good point. Wish I had said that.

Thanks for the info on where to buy, I was missing my 'fix' too.

But in Tops at 375 baht (nearly eight quid) a bottle it looks like I am going cold turkey!!!

By the way, George, how is the wife??? :D:(:D

??? Not sure what that means? :o

Shes fine thanks...

OK, my local in the UK was the George & Dragon, the joke was you go up to the landlord and say hi George, how's the wife? (dragon)?? Get it?

Not funny when you have to explain it though. :D :D :D

Thais....well there is a Thai town in Los Angeles.

But lets face it I don't think any other country can beat the Chinese, as I'm sure you know, there is a Chinatown in just about every major city in the world, not just the capitals. They don't give up there chinese needs, they take, and build them wherever they go.

Next question.

Where's the cheapest Marmite to be found?

I am always giving my visitors from home a little shopping list . So next time someone comes to visit just mention the Marmite (Although being a Vegemite girl....), say you'll pay them when they get here. 11 times out of 10 they will bring you the goods and say "Nooo, don't worry..." How cheap is that?

I know, I know. When its a big list I do transfer the money to their account at home-for example last time was ski pants etc-nothing to do with Marmite really