Squash In Chiang Mai

brennanstimpy

Does anyone know of places to play squash besides Thung Hotel and Gymkhana? I would just like to try out some different courts if they are available.

I tried the one just past the train station (coming from the river) and turning left at the lights and about 1km down on the left hand side is a sports complex with pool, tennis and squash courts. However the courts aren't as good as Gymkhana ...which is also showing its age. So if anyone else has a suggestion .... ?

Also i've just arrived back in CM and keen to pick up squash again. Brennan would you like a game this week ? Or anyone else? Do you guys still have an open session at gymkhana and if so on which days / time?

Yeah those are the Thung Hotel courts I was referring to. I would like to play sometime, but unfortunately I have a splint on my index finger until Friday. Maybe next week. I would really like to get into a rotation of players if they are around in town. I have only been playing less than a year. But, I played racquetball in the states for about five years.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah those are the Thung Hotel courts I was referring to. I would like to play sometime, but unfortunately I have a splint on my index finger until Friday. Maybe next week. I would really like to get into a rotation of players if they are around in town. I have only been playing less than a year. But, I played racquetball in the states for about five years.

Yes Hi i am coming to Thailand in January and play racket ball and squash and i am looking to play when i arrive so hopefully someone will be up for a game (English Racket ball

I'm in CM at the moment and always up for a game. Played recently with a friend at the Imperial Hotel & Sports Club (on the way to Mae Rim) as recommended by someone on TV. Nice resort, lovely looking court (x2) and AC. The only problem was they have a new dark wood flooring which makes it a) difficult to see the ball (compared to the regular coloured wood used in standard squash courts) and :o it was slightly slippery.

Back to Gymkhana!

• 11 months later...
Does anyone know of places to play squash besides Thung Hotel and Gymkhana? I would just like to try out some different courts if they are available.

I tried the one just past the train station (coming from the river) and turning left at the lights and about 1km down on the left hand side is a sports complex with pool, tennis and squash courts. However the courts aren't as good as Gymkhana ...which is also showing its age. So if anyone else has a suggestion .... ?

Also i've just arrived back in CM and keen to pick up squash again. Brennan would you like a game this week ? Or anyone else? Do you guys still have an open session at gymkhana and if so on which days / time?

• 5 months later...

Hi Mike here, back to chiang mai, next week for awhile. Any squash players. Imperial Sports and Recreation

did there courts up last year. Or, where ever your heart desires. Just leave a name and contact number

and I will reply.

Mike is 50 yrs old and needs to run off some sticky rice.

Thank you

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Went to the Imperial Sports place on the way to Mae Rim yesterday. It is extremely dated, but that didn't bother me so much as the fact that it appears that they used a wood and varnish that is extremely slippery. If you try to run down a ball, you fall over. A complete waste of time unless you just want to entertain your kids or something. Why would you go to the trouble of building a court only to put down wood that doesn't allow you to run? It is also dark wood, which I have never seen on a squash court before. The black ball is hard to see at times. The air cons look circa 1975 and were barely better than a fan.

It was only 100 Baht an hour, but I would rather have paid 500 an hour and enjoyed a regulation court. Does such a proper court exist in Chiang Mai? I've heard rumors about Maejo University. Does anyone have a number for them?

I'm surprised that no one has built a Chiang Mai Racquet Club with badminton, squash, tennis, ping pong etc. all regulation and all in air con. There must be a market for it?

Thanks!

Okay, went to Mae Jo University. They do indeed have four courts, which are in decent shape. (Much better than Imperial).

But it says that you can play from 16.30 to 20.30. I don't know if that means students only. We started playing earlier and no one said anything. Students did come at 16.30 so I don't know how long we would be permitted to play if someone was waiting for our court. It was free, which is great. But the aircon didn't work at all and it was extremely hot on the courts. At least 30 degrees. Again, I would rather pay and have a properly airconditioned court. I'm surprised no one has managed to get all the right ingredients together in Chiang Mai - regulation court, proper wood, and air con. So better than nothing, but still not ideal since I'm sure students have the first right of use and in hot season you are going to collapse after 4 or 5 games.