Possibly Koh Samui Future's

Just interested in what directions or possibly directions, koh samui will take for the future, even though I know its impossible to predict how samui will be it still would be nice to hear your comments on this topic, from samui just being a quite backpacker destination to hosting 200+ hotels, big c, tesco, luxury homes, airport. (possible overdevelopment already) from lack of intrastructure to roads, american toilet, power, internet. I've heard koh samui could develop to a small hong kong but i'm just putting that out there.

american toilet...

excuse my ignorance, but what's an "American toilet"?

I think he means the "American Standard" that are all over the place. I was surprised to see those squat toilets made by "American Standard". Sorry, won't find one of those anywhere in America unless some recent immigrant imports one from home.

Just interested in what directions or possibly directions, koh samui will take for the future, even though I know its impossible to predict how samui will be it still would be nice to hear your comments on this topic, from samui just being a quite backpacker destination to hosting 200+ hotels, big c, tesco, luxury homes, airport. (possible overdevelopment already) from lack of intrastructure to roads, american toilet, power, internet. I've heard koh samui could develop to a small hong kong but i'm just putting that out there.

I see tall 20-30 storey blocks of luxury flats popping up in the next 5 years or so.

Yes, the condos are definetly on a rise since it is the only accomodation that can be legally owned for foreigners.

But where are the tourists???

The last years "peak season" hasn´t been what it was 5 years ago and restaurants and shops stands empty at "prime time dinner time".

I wonder how all the new hotels will survive since the amount of tourists seem to decrease every year.

The bath rate isn´t very helpful either at the moment for foreigners.

Big C opened for a little more than 1 year ago and for the last mo nths shops have been closing one after another.

So far these shops have closed:

Zen (japanese restaurant), Siam cuisine, World coffeshop, The jeans shop next to starbucks, the accessory shop next to the camera shop, the Optical shop, the watch shop, the pasta place at the food court, the mobile phone shop next to the escalator.... so who will be next?

I am not sure if the Macintosh or if it is I Pod-shop is still around, don´t think so.

A Hong Kong? I don´t think so either.

Prices are higher on Samui than the rest of Thailand and there just isn´t enough tourist.

I read that they have tried to boost the tourism on the island by presenting themselves at different Tourism expos and they seem to focus on China, Russia and the Middle east countries at the moment.

I don´t mean to be rude but if I may be disgustingly honest with you, I don´t like the idea of that at all.

/comehome

Yes, the condos are definetly on a rise since it is the only accomodation that can be legally owned for foreigners.

I can really buy legally a condo? I was not aware of that.

But where are the tourists???

Some other place cheaper and not full of concrete....

I read that they have tried to boost the tourism on the island by presenting themselves at different Tourism expos and they seem to focus on China, Russia and the Middle east countries at the moment.

I don´t mean to be rude but if I may be disgustingly honest with you, I don´t like the idea of that at all.

/comehome

Good luck to the island :o ....

regarding the bigC situation, i'm not surprised, since the launch of that mall it's always empty the main cause prices and the so small food part of the bigC market wich doesn't attract a lot of people and so the small shops are closing.

not to mention that there is one cashier every 5 cash machine...

I see tall 20-30 storey blocks of luxury flats popping up in the next 5 years or so.

Cant see that unless the building laws change as they are limited in height!

Why is then ,that there is a 7 storey condo project between Ban Tai & Ban Po on the hills & a similar 5 storey one on Bophut hills? Is this still illegal since it contravenes building regulations regarding structure height?

Edited by Rooo

I've heard of the building height "law". But as we are talking about the future, I see that law changing. I think it would be a good thing. But not for the entire island. Maybe limit it to one area and not necessarily that close to the beach. People live up in the hills for the nice view. You could have a tall condominium 1km from the beach and the view would still be pretty great.

I wouldn't doubt if the future brought one of these "skyscrapers" before they actually bothered to modernise the infrastructure.

as much as i love samui and have no intention of leaving as an island paradise say compared to phuket or krabi and its islands samui leaves a lot to be desired.The beaches and especially the quality of the sea are not good,the roads are simply terrible and down right dangerous and i think before this island can get an increase in tourist numbers or in fact maintain current levels these things need to be addressed.Resorts keep being built,take the new hyatt due for completion in 2010,i just dont see it being filled.I believe many tourists that used to come here are off exploring more pristine places and cheaper places too.i think samui is in for a very rough ride,but first we need rubbish collection proper sewerage treatment and to be honest the beaches are n't that crash hot.

Why do i stay?well i still love the place inspite of.

I've heard of the building height "law". But as we are talking about the future, I see that law changing. I think it would be a good thing. But not for the entire island. Maybe limit it to one area and not necessarily that close to the beach. People live up in the hills for the nice view. You could have a tall condominium 1km from the beach and the view would still be pretty great.

I wouldn't doubt if the future brought one of these "skyscrapers" before they actually bothered to modernise the infrastructure.

There used to be a height law in Bangkok, no buildings higher than the Royal Palace, and look what happened there!

Why is then ,that there is a 7 storey condo project between Ban Tai & Ban Po on the hills & a similar 5 storey one on Bophut hills? Is this still illegal since it contravenes building regulations regarding structure height?

Those buildings obtained their building permission before the new regulations came in to force.

They obviously paid the right people... :o

& there lie the problem, in fact every problem that Samui, & Thailand has, that will NEVER go away.

Koh Samui's future? An combinated exotic theme park and tropical resort island for endless multi camera equippted chinese tourists. 10-15 years from now, if nothing major happen.

BTW what's the big hole right of Fisherman's Village? A department store to come?

Those buildings obtained their building permission before the new regulations came in to force.

These regulations are not new.There was one hotel near Lamai,but that was Thaksin's sister in law,which has since been sold & that was the only exception to the rule.People are correct in assuming the old Samui administration ,has a lot to answer for,lots of permits have been issued contrary to their own regulations.I know for a fact, of what amount of money was paid to issue house books to illegal buildings ( old admin, trying to make hay whilst the sun is shinning).So here you are trying to be a law abiding person & you see these sort of things happen, not very comforting.

Example why don't we have asphalt roads? Blocked by the old admin, whose members have interest in cement & the list goes on.

Can see it 'evolving' the way of most other tropical paradises..

Pristine island 'discovered' by adventurous travellers..

The few local inhabitants make extra cash renting spare rooms to visitors..

Enterprising locals build a few local style bungalows and sell local style food to the visitor..

Word spreads and a few more people visit..

Some more locals get in on the act and build bigger bungalows

Less adventurous 'tourists' arrive and want more creature comforts..

More bungalows get built, bigger with A/C, en-suite bathrooms and 24hr electric..

The locals are now making good money so their relatives and others arrive to start a business..

Word spreads and developers arrive.. more advertising and even more tourists arrive..

They want Jetskis, Discos, Western food, Shopping centers and tailors shops.. ( Okay I know.. nobody really wants tailor shops :o )

Space becomes a premium and once pristine beaches are bought up for resorts and private developements.

Paradice lost :D Now not much different to the city on the mainland.. Beaches crouded, water filthy, locals pissed off and desperate, money number one!... Package tourists have little to spend and only sunbathe in the resort.. Little tourist money reaches the locals and they can't afford the cost of living anymore..

No tourists ! They move on to the latest trendy destination.. Once wonderful quiet Island is same as every other over touristed and developed destination.. No point to visit...

The greedy buggers will never learn..

Phuket, Koh Samui, Koh Pangnan, Koh Tao, Koh Samet and more recently Koh Chang... All ruined by developement, lack of regulation and greed..

Wish they left them to the backpackers... they'd still be places worth visiting....

Can see it 'evolving' the way of most other tropical paradises..

Pristine island 'discovered' by adventurous travellers..

The few local inhabitants make extra cash renting spare rooms to visitors..

Enterprising locals build a few local style bungalows and sell local style food to the visitor..

Word spreads and a few more people visit..

Some more locals get in on the act and build bigger bungalows

Less adventurous 'tourists' arrive and want more creature comforts..

More bungalows get built, bigger with A/C, en-suite bathrooms and 24hr electric..

The locals are now making good money so their relatives and others arrive to start a business..

Word spreads and developers arrive.. more advertising and even more tourists arrive..

They want Jetskis, Discos, Western food, Shopping centers and tailors shops.. ( Okay I know.. nobody really wants tailor shops :o )

Space becomes a premium and once pristine beaches are bought up for resorts and private developements.

Paradice lost :D Now not much different to the city on the mainland.. Beaches crouded, water filthy, locals pissed off and desperate, money number one!... Package tourists have little to spend and only sunbathe in the resort.. Little tourist money reaches the locals and they can't afford the cost of living anymore..

No tourists ! They move on to the latest trendy destination.. Once wonderful quiet Island is same as every other over touristed and developed destination.. No point to visit...

The greedy buggers will never learn..

Phuket, Koh Samui, Koh Pangnan, Koh Tao, Koh Samet and more recently Koh Chang... All ruined by developement, lack of regulation and greed..

Wish they left them to the backpackers... they'd still be places worth visiting....

Well, fine job outlining Samui's past and what many might call the present. any ideas on what the future holds in store?

ps - screw the backpackers. :D

Edited by koheesti

They want Jet skis, Discos, Western food, Shopping centers and tailors shops.. ( Okay I know.. nobody really wants tailor shops :o )

First disco, Animal House, as far as I can remember, and than Flamingo, came with backpackers. Western food as well, Club Sandwiches, Muesli, Spaghetti... The majority of package touris dislike jet skies and prefer fresh seafood to Mac Donalds. In Shopping centers much more Thais and expats, than tourists. Tailors-own story...

Beaches crowded? Maybe Chaweng and Cheong Mon and part of Bophut during high season

Water filthy? Live many years next to the sea and would not say that

Locals pissed off? Maybe Thais from other parts of Thailand working on Samui, but many Samui locals are well to do already

...to which destination?

Koh Samui is not a trendy destination anymore. It is recognised everywhere as major tropical resort island for the mainstream tourist hordes.

...but I understand, what you mean. Just setting things right. :D

Pdaz...............pretty much sums it up,sad but true.Have you been to Krabi?it still looks unspoilt.

Ssssshhhhhhh ! Don't tell anybody ......

...especially to the hordes of package tourists, who are over there already since years.

A normal flush toilet!

are u sure the american toilet was not stolen from the english. the americans normally steel from the english. like for eample the english language

I don't know, I'm NOT that old! :o Nor do I care!

Edited by SamuiJens

samui. can go to ways. down the american style toilet or develope into a small city. the island curtianly has enough money coming out of it. does it have a large amount coming back in. if so then then i cannot see samui devolping. with high amounts of people to live with under delveloped roads and electric smelly suwage systems. also the people have to stop ripping people off. i hear of many business being forced to close due to problems with their lease.

If this business island's business is used well and the taxes are well spent and not too much of its natural beauty is taken away then samui then it has great potenial. at the moment i think it is at a stale mate. it could go either way.

Back pakers are a thing of the past. there is no way they can settle here on there first time to thailand on a short budget and stay in a cheap hut on the beach. now i think it is more of a business island catering for more long term residents and more rich holiday makers. which personally i think is good. hopefully one day it will be like barbados. with a nice marine park for luxury yachts and big boats, big schools, more international flights. sports centers and of coarse keeping its orgional thai style.

samui just needs to tidy itself up basically and get organised.

\

pardon the spelling errors but hope people have make my point