Tinted Windows

jdinasia

yes/no and how dark?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

80% on the windows apart from the front windshield... There I got 60%...

My mate has 80 and that is much darker than mine so I am not sure I would call them very dark. My film will be very dark in the sun but it gets lighter at night and when the sun is gone... Nighttime is more like no film in the front and weak film in the back... Still, you can not see in at anytime...

My mate has 80 and that is much darker than mine so I am not sure I would call them very dark. My film will be very dark in the sun but it gets lighter at night and when the sun is gone... Nighttime is more like no film in the front and weak film in the back... Still, you can not see in at anytime...

about like ours ...

did you add it after-market?

Wow! apparently EVERYONE in Thailand has tinted windows. (Not accurate as I looked around the parking lot today and about 5% of the cars did not have tinted windows -- they were all older cars too)

23:0 have tinted windows!

Edited by jdinasia

it's a cute ride you have... can you upload us a picture?

cheers

Can someone please explain to me what 60% or 80% is really supposed to be a representation of?

And how is this accurately measured with knowing this percentage?

The percent figure is usually the percentage of light allowed through, so 20% should be darker then 50.

It is the other way around. 80 % means 80 % of the light is stopped by the film.

So 80% is more dark then 60%

Officially those dark windows are illegal but tolerated.

All aftermarket tinting systems are not allowed if they make the windows more dark as original.

My two cars have 60 and 80% tinted windows which where done by Toyota when i got the cars.

80%!! good luck when you kill someone!! still like most drivers at night here I see them crawling round the streets unable to see because of the ridiculous amount of tint they have on. :o

80%!! good luck when you kill someone!! still like most drivers at night here I see them crawling round the streets unable to see because of the ridiculous amount of tint they have on. :o

Yabaaaaaaa! I wonder why you named yourself that.

hmmm OK .. so to wrap this up ..

Most of us have tinted windows 34:1 (with 2 null votes)

I wonder about the ONE person that voted and doesn't have tinted windows ... Why did you choose not to have them?

I had once 80 % on my new car (side and rear only). Nightmare driving at night and in the wet. I changed to 30 or 40, much better and I felt much more comfortable driving at night. I am of the opinion that any tint exceeding 50 is a serious security risk at night.

But TiT.....fashion rules.

Moo9

Edited by moo9

Window tinting has been spoken about before:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1191705

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1187535

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1194983

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=645792

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=646756

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=646804

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=651070

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=656663

The below quote is from the following website:

http://www.filmpacific.com.au/p_legal_info_cars.html

Vehicle Standard.

Safe driving requires the driver to have the best possible vision of the road users. Any reduction in driver visibility particularly in poor light conditions will lead to a reduction in safety.

Tinted windows may reduce driver vision if not applied accordingly to state and territory regulations. Therefore it is desirable that the light transmittance of windows on a motor vehicle is not reduced below 35%*.

A tinted or opaque band across the top of the windscreen is permitted providing it is no lower than 10% of the height of the windscreen & is above the portion of the windscreen swept by the wipers. Tinted film must not be reflective or mirror like as it can dazzle other drivers by relecting sunlight or headlight beams.

Vehicle with Factory-Tinted Glass.

Most new vehicles are fitted with tinted window glass. This tint is very light and glass may at first appear to be clear. To check, hold a piece of white paper on the opposite side of the glass. If it has a slight gray, green or brown colour when viewed through the glass, then the glass is tinted.

Special grades of film may be applied to factory tinted windows. When these films are applied to tinted glass, the combination of tints must still allow 35% visual light transmittance**.

**Visual Light Transmittance (VLT) is the measure of the amount of light that passes through glass, 35% VLT means 35% of the visible light passes through the glass and the rest of the light is blocked.

Below is an Australian Government document pertaining to automotive window tinting:

Since many "farang" complain about the attrocious driving of Thais & the high road toll in Thailand, I would think that applying dark tint is not a "common sense" approach to safety. Also, the tinting of front windscreens is completely out of the question (if safety is really an issue).

• Haha 1

We aren't in Australia ... well HOPEFULLY the cars being discussed in this thread and the poll are not in Thailand

and none of those were a poll .... this isn't a discussion about "if it is good or bad to tint windows" it is a poll ... do TV members have tinted windows?

Do you have a car Rob?

Edited by jdinasia

We aren't in Australia ... well HOPEFULLY the cars being discussed in this thread and the poll are not in Thailand

and none of those were a poll .... this isn't a discussion about "if it is good or bad to tint windows" it is a poll ... do TV members have tinted windows?

Do you have a car Rob?

No, I do not currently have a car but if I did, the windows would be tinted. The tint I would use would be as light as possible in order to allow maximum visibility & would have a high Infrared (IR) filtering ability.

Perhaps you could get the poll questions changed to reflect what degree of tint is used & where it is used (windscreen, back & side windows)? Did the purchaser concentrate on UV protection over IR protection? Does the purchaser know the difference between UV & IR? Is the purchaser concerned about road safety?

Just some thoughts. :o

Do you have a car Rob?

No, I do not currently have a car but if I did, the windows would be tinted. The tint I would use would be as light as possible in order to allow maximum visibility & would have a high Infrared (IR) filtering ability.

Perhaps you could get the poll questions changed to reflect what degree of tint is used & where it is used (windscreen, back & side windows)? Did the purchaser concentrate on UV protection over IR protection? Does the purchaser know the difference between UV & IR? Is the purchaser concerned about road safety?

Just some thoughts. :D

Why? all that has been discussed in other threads ... I was not trying to recreate the wheel or re-hash old topics. Good on you for not having a car in Thailand yet responding anyways! :o