Dinghy/beach Cat Sailing. Interested?

markg

It strikes me that there are possibly many people in Phuket who own a dinghy or a beach catamaran and have just given up on sailing because of lack of interest from other parties. Being the only boat out on the water can get pretty tiresome!

We would like to change this !

Do you have a boat but have given up for the above reasons? Have you sailed in the past and would like to get into the sport again? Do you know someone with a boat who is looking for an excuse to get it wet again?

We are thinking of organising an adults dinghy sailing day/regatta in mid-december/weekend before Xmas out of Phuket Yacht club at Ao Yon. (A none profit making dinghy club)

Please get in touch if you'd like to become involved.

Sailing is a fun, outdoor, 'green' sport for all ages and sexes. It's a black art that can never be perfected - there's always something new to learn. Have a look on any weekend and count how many dinghies or beach cats you can see in the Chalong bay area...................if there's only the one, it's usually me !

Lets see if we can change this.

Markg

Ao yon is a pretty cool place, ideal for sailors and newbies to learn, would reccomend it big time.

I sail from Chalong on the big boys but love that yacht clubs whereabouts and their passion for teaching, go down and have some fun.

Yep stuandchris, thats about the top and bottom of it. Ao Chalong Yacht club (ACYC) is pretty much mainly for larger keel boats and larger cats, and they do a fine job organising their bi-weekly Sunday races (the last one was last Sunday)

Phuket Yacht club at Ao Yon is in the bay opposite Chalong, and caters for dinghy sailors.

I see the two clubs complementing each other. Kids and adults in dinghies are the new blood of the sport.

However, there are still quite a few people on Phuket who never lost their love of sailing dinghies, which is what we are going to try to organise for just before xmas. And who can blame them? When a 16 foot Hobie cat can easily hit 15 knots and can be bought from 100k baht, that's a lot of fun for not a whole load of money. There are a number of performance sailing dinghies at Ao Yon, including Tasars, Lasers and Bytes. In a stiff breeze, these things will hit double figure speeds with ease, and again, are not expensive to buy.

All the world's top sailors, almost without exception, began by sailing dinghies.

I want to see a healthier dinghy sailing scene here in Phuket.

Its warm here, the sea is warm, its not prohibitively expensive, its fun and not that hard to learn the basics, but can take a life time to master.

A friend of mine sails in a reservoir in Birmingham, UK and they regularly have 40 boats on the start line at weekends.

Thats in Birmingham.

On a reservoir.

In Birmingham.

40 boats.

In the cold

In Birmingham..................

On a pond..............

Are you getting the picture?

There should be HUNDREDS of dinghies sailing in Phukets WARM waters.

Let's do something about it !

I went and sailed on Ao Yon a couple of times, under the tuition of 'Robert'.. Both I and my GF loved it but a few things stopped us.. I am a big 110kg mid 6 footer.. Me on a laser (what I was training with) is a bit of a battle, getting down under that boom must have looked laughable.. Back then they didnt have any cats owned or used by the club, only privately owned ones parked there. I was in the process of buying one when the owner inexplicably sold it for less than I was offering (communication breakdown I guess) and other hobies I saw were more $$ than I was willing to put into a toy. There was talk about being able to use the ex skiffasia craft (the bytes) but that didnt happen.

My mate had a larger keel yacht in Ao Yon that we have sailed to Malaysia a few times and we often see people in the bay there toying around. Personally I prefer 'wet sailing' and would love to be involved in any kind of larger 'wet cat' use.. a 21 or 18 would be superb, on a 16 with a partner then its getting to the point they dont fly so well, it works but not the same speed feeling.. I would love to progress to trapeze stuff as never done that.

So if there was something happening, both myself and my TGF would be interested.. I have another buddy who expressed interest in learning.

Dont mistake the above to mean I know what I am doing, still very much a learner with just some basics.. But have time and would be happy to be involved.

Almost exactly the sort of person we're appealing to LivinLos. Someone who has done it before, but, for what ever reason, has stopped.

The Hobie 16 will DEFINITELY fly in Phuket. I regularly sail one. Anything over 10 knots breeze and she will begin to fly a hull. At 110kg you are on the heavier side - but thats an advantage in a strong breeze !

Dunno how much your TGF weighs, but on some 2-handed dinghies, it's your combined weight that is important. So if she is a typically Thai sized girl, your combined weight will be just fine.

I will post more on here as and when we finalise the dates and we will hope to see you down at the beach.

If nothing else - it's a mighty fine beach to just chill out on!

Shes a sub 40kg'er.. Combined we are average weight :o..

Its more that I am tall too.. Those lasers are not easy to tack (nicely) when your as big as I am, an under 6 fter can duck and hop across, for me that little space is hard to get down into and out of in a smooth fluid motion..

Anyway put me down for starting again.. I am away to motorcycle up north and probably do Laos and Cambo on the return.. So wont be here for 3 weeks or so.. after that here full time.

It's more than likely going to be Sunday 21st December - so make a note in your diary!

Pass the word around - i would absolutely love to see as many people as possible out on the water so we can rightfully kick-start interest in this sport!

Hi.

I bought the hulls for a Hobiecat 16 got them repared and spaypainted , now they are hanging under my roof and looking for someone who like to finish the boat, Needs rigging and trampoline , any one interested ?

I allso bought a Laser , only the hull, that one I like to finish myself but need rigging, sails rudder and sword for it, give me a note if you know how I can get it finish. Larsbo

Hi.

I bought the hulls for a Hobiecat 16 got them repared and spaypainted , now they are hanging under my roof and looking for someone who like to finish the boat, Needs rigging and trampoline , any one interested ?

I allso bought a Laser , only the hull, that one I like to finish myself but need rigging, sails rudder and sword for it, give me a note if you know how I can get it finish. Larsbo

I KNEW there would be people out there, just like your Larsbo, who have bits of boats ready, but just need a bit more impetus to get things really moving, so that you can sail again!

If anyone is interested in Larsbo's Hobie 16, i can recommend those types of boats. They are FAST and FUN. You can keep them on the beach and are ideal for two adults/ 1adult & 2 kids/thai chicks ! A hobie 16 can hit close to 20 knots and that is very fast when you consider that a 28 foot cruising boat will be plodding along at 5 or 6 knots. (yeah, i know, completely different boats etc)

Hobie cats are the worlds largest and best known beach cats. If anyone is interested, there is a company called Bluewave water sports in Pattaya, Google them, who are a Hobie dealer and will be able to get all the parts you need. A friend of mine uses them and recommends them. Not only did they supply the parts, but they were very helpful in setting it all up.

Larsbo - you and your laser would be most welcome if you manage to get it sorted out in time. Getting parts at short notice may be a problem - but please try! I think there is a laser dealer in Singapore. I'll try and find out for ya.

You can either order all the parts as stock Laser items, or you could have them made up here. The mast is aluminium tubing, you can get the specs off lots of websites. There are also a couple of sail makers here in Phuket, (rolly tasker and Ket at Local Sails in town).

Lasers are also a very well known and popular brand so you may find someone on here who has some bits and pieces.

I ll also ask around.

• 2 weeks later...
great idea! I used to sail cats at Varuna yacht club, never any good but i loved it

Kingwilly, are you in Phuket? Are you available to sail this saturday? I have a friend who is looking for crew for his Hobie16.

Strong wind is forecast, so you'd need to be pretty nimble and be able to trapeze.

Fancy it?

Let me know and i'll sort something out

I would like to try to sail the Hobie cat one day with fresh wind if you ned a crew. I like to try a Hobie cat when I myself only have the hulls for one.

I sailed all my life , when younger The Flying Duchman, Tornado, Laser, Ok, Finn, Starboat, Windsurfers.

Just give me a call, And I will be there, ( only in December ) (in Jan. I am sailing charters ) Larsbo

Hello Larsbo,

I might be able to get you a sail tomorrow, Sunday 7th December. Wind forcast is looking good!

I think my mate who has a hobie is looking for crew.

I'll PM you my number.

If that is too short notice, you'd be more than welcome at Ao Yon.

Dinghy sailing may free you up from all the agravation of dealing with charter customers. You can just enjoy the sailing on a dinghy !

Mark

Just an update. The event will also be listed in the Phuket Gazette, and is confirmed for 21st December, a Sunday.

There are 15 - 17 boats that we are pretty sure of.

Anyone else with a boat is more than welcome - just let me know.

If there is anyone out there who is interested in crewing, then we have some positions open for that too.

Equally, anyone interested in getting into dinghy sailing is also more than welcome to come down to Ao Yon and see what it's all about.

Is it very hard to learn how to sail with the Hobbie cat?

I have been on motorboats quite a lot, but I have sailing experience is just a few times. I would love to learn how to sail.

I live in Phuket, but unfortunately on 21st I will not be able to make it to the event.

Is there some website I could find people who need crew? If there is not one, I could make it.

-Pekka

Well you've come to the right place! There are a couple of ways of learning to sail dinghies. First one is to pay to go on a course to learn. There are a couple of people at Phuket Yacht Club at Ao Yon who do this professionally.

The second way to learn is to crew for someone on their boat. They get crew and you learn for free!

I dont think there is a crewing website for what Phuket has to offer. Just turn up on the day and ask around. Most clubs run a 'no one left on the shore' type of policy, though this is a bit harder logistically for dinghies than big boats due to limitations on their physical size.

We are hoping that this event will kick start a decent dinghy and beach cat sailing scene in Phuket. We think it's a much needed scene.

Shame you cant make it on Sunday 21st, but keep your eyes and ears open as we hope to make this a regular event by having a regular sail racing calendar.

I am an ACYC member but if you need any help leave me a message.

Stu

Stu, not sure if your offer of any help was directed at me. Anyway, if it was then thanks for the offer. I believe that we have a race officer, start boat and a couple of RIB safety boats and we have crew for them.

If you're not doing anything on Sunday 21st then feel free to come down to Ao Yon beach. I will be there from 8.30 ish, skippers briefing at 9 with the first race at 10.

If nothing else, you'll be able to relax on a lovely beach and drink beer. How cool is that !

VDO - Special report about Phuket Yacht Club, AoYon, 1st dinghy & Hobie Cat Regatta

http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=871

The Phuket Yacht Club at AoYon, near Cape Panwa, with a small but friendly beachside clubhouse, held its first dinghy and Hobie Cat Regatta last Sunday 21 December 2008. It was a beautiful sunny day with clear water, for sailing out in the bay beyond the oyster farm marked by the white buoys. The starter boat signaled the messages to the sailors in the regatta. There were only five Hobie Cats and Catamarans who started the race in breezy conditions. Katy, sailing secretary, of the club described some of the 20 boat and sailors: The Hobie boats, popular with beach hotels, can quickly reach speeds of over twenty-to-thirty knots in good winds.

Merv Owens, the new commodore of the club, was putting his feet up enjoying sailing in a bigger and heavier Catamaran. Katy described the other smaller dinghy boats in the other category: The Topaz, and their sailors, are built in the U.K. but seem to like the Phuket waters. Paul, the ex-commodore of the club, was also enjoying the Topaz experience. Adam Bowers, from U.K., was helping with the timing & organization of the regatta as he has good qualifications as coach of the successful British sailing crews including recent Olympic winners: After the first races they gave out sandwiches to the hungry sailors. Katy mentioned how they hope to attract more adult members to this friendly club : The second part of racing started after lunch. You could see the fun elements of small boat racing but to really appreciate the excitement both for foreigners, and also Thai people who seem a little reluctant to try this cheaper & easier form of sailing, I went on board with a Swedish-Thai family on a Topaz: Another crew on a Hobie Cat, Tony Knight and Grenville Fordham, MD of IMAGE asia, organizer of the annual Phuket Raceweek Regatta, told me how they were enjoying this new experience : If you want to also catch the sailing bug & learn some special skills from the GB coach, Adam gave more details of his expert training course to be held at the club this coming weekend: To get more details on how to get on board, on & off the water, surf on over to www.PhuketYachtClub.info

Special Report for Andaman News NBT (VHF dial) + FM90.5 Radio Thailand at 8.30am & perhaps relays/repeats on local Cable TV channel 1, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, & possibly FM108 Mazz Radio 7.30pm in Phuket, Wednesday 24 December 2008 www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews.com

& http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/

Send comments to [email protected]

Nice video footage!

Who in the

name

of

God

is the

narrator............

I appreciate he is trying to read it slowly so that none native speakers can understand it, however, he could still do that AND add some emotion, enthusiasm and correct pronunciation and tone to it. Narrating isnt your narrator's forte methinks!

Reading the transcript "There were only five Hobie Cats and Catamarans who started the race in breezy conditions."

Isnt quite true. There were a total of 18 boats who started the first race. As is usual in sailing, the faster boats (the catamarans in this case) start 5 minutes after the slower boats.

I just wanted to clear up any confusion here.

The event was a great success with 18 boats out on the water. For many of the sailors, it was their first taste of racing.

This will now become a regular monthly fixture throughout the sailing season.

It's Phuket Yacht Club's (PYC) intention of working closely with Ao Chalong Yacht Club (ACYC) to make sure that neither club runs conflicting events on the same weekend.

The event was well supported by members of ACYC which i feel shows that there is no conflict of interest between the two clubs.

If you want to become involved in this great sport, which is also a great way of keeping fit, then pop along to PYC and see what's on offer.

The website is at the bottom of the post below.

• 7 months later...

Is anything happening along this line ??

Having been back in the UK for a couple of months I need some water time.. Would love to mess about in any craft.

I used to be a Ao Yon member but its been a while since that lapsed.

Looking at the date of the previous posts, I suspect not. I'm regularly in Ao Yon, and rarely see anything actually moving (thought there were a couple of 2 handed dinghies out on the water today, of which I was quite envious).

I've posted a couple of things about sailing/small boats, and there's a surprising lack of both boats and interest in Phuket. Yes, I see some of the bigger boys doing their thing on weekends sometimes, and of course the Six Senses regatta last week appeared to be well supported. I am quite interested in dinghy sailing, however when I was looking for a boat to buy, wanted something a little bit more substantial (i.e. not rolling over and being unable to get upright, like I saw one of the dinghies at Ao Yon today). Ended up getting a small power boat that I keep at Ao Po marina. Would really have preferred getting a small sailing yacht, but these don't really exist in Phuket.

I will help any of you get onto the water.

Pagalim - the two dinghies you saw on the water - one of them will have been me. I capsized and got the mast stuck in the mud. Shame really as we'd just blasted around the bay, surfing waves and getting pounded by 20+ knots of wind which is quite a lot in a 15 foot boat.

i sail just about every weekend.

We have come to the point, sadly, where there are more boats with owners than people willing to crew.

A few of the members have started a circular email which we send out to each other on a thursday night/friday morning to see who is sailing and who needs crew.

A couple of the owners are currently in Europe, but once they are back, we will put people into boats for sure.

If you want a sail, PM me and i will try to sort something for you.

Useful info would be your age, experience and weight (in kilos) and what day and time you can be at Ao Yon.

Phuket's a great place to sail people !

The Ao Yon racing season will be starting up again in september and is purposefully designed to not conflict with Ao Chalong's races and any other regattas locally.

P.s. One of the members is currently sorting out the logistics of bringing in 4 or 5 Tasar dinghies from Austrailia. Google Taser dinghy and see if you fancy it. If you do then PM me urgently and we will add you to the list of people who want to buy them. The more we buy, the cheaper the shipping costs.

They are a great boat, trust me !

Pagalim - the two dinghies you saw on the water - one of them will have been me. I capsized and got the mast stuck in the mud. Shame really as we'd just blasted around the bay, surfing waves and getting pounded by 20+ knots of wind which is quite a lot in a 15 foot boat.

i sail just about every weekend.

Yup, saw you heaving on the stabbing board, and suspected the mast was stuck in the mud! Interesting scenario, fortunately the RIB was standing by, and I could see the Cox'n getting a line ready. As you say, good breezy day yesterday, and I could see both boats doing a good turn of speed.