Road Tax

grahamdarwin

Hi,

Does anyone know how road tax is calculated? is it done on weight or age? Does anyone know how to get a list?

It is done purely on engine size.

I pay 2090 Baht/year for a 2300 cc engine.

Age, weight or actual power does not come into play!

Can't find a table, the MOT's website is entirely in the Thai language...

Hi,

Does anyone know how road tax is calculated? is it done on weight or age? Does anyone know how to get a list?

It is done purely on engine size.

I pay 2090 Baht/year for a 2300 cc engine.

Can't find a table, the MOT's website is entirely in the Thai language...

I have just paid mine, also a 2300 cc, 1,980 baht

So why the difference? I paid at the taxation Office in Nontaburi

Look towards the back of the blue book, the fee is in there and the date paid...

Before the present car I had a Honda Jazz, paid 1,740 per year, yet a Thai friend with the same sized cc engine 1992 Toyota pays 698 baht. they have paid this for 3 years, looking in the back of the blue book the 1st 3years it was 3,230 baht, and just a quick look at these pages shows it has come down every 3 years

Sorry, indeed type of car makes a big difference.

Apparently utility vehicles (i.e. pick ups, the ones only allowed 90 on motorways) pay a premium.

I have 3 sedan cars, with engines between 2000 CC (Cefiro) and 5000 CC (Benz) with the road tax between 2016 Baht and 3,800 Baht.

I also have a Caravelle van (2800 cc) but not sure on the tax there.

When looking in the blue book it seems age also plays a roll, but only to a small extend. The cefiro was 2880 Baht for the first 5 years and then started to go down, currently 2016 Baht in the 7th year.

I have just paid mine, also a 2300 cc, 1,980 baht

So why the difference? I paid at the taxation Office in Nontaburi

Look towards the back of the blue book, the fee is in there and the date paid...

That's where I looked! 2,090 Baht, paid at the Pattaya vehicle registration office. But maybe it's a tad more because the car is actually registered in Bangkok, so maybe I pay a small premium for paying outside the province? Car is 26 years old BTW!

They made a new blue book 6 years ago so can't see the original payments, last 6 times have been the same at 2,090 Baht though.

so maybe I pay a small premium for paying outside the province

Did not think of that, as I have only 6 weeks ago sold my Jazz, and bought my 2nd hand car, I bought it in Bangkok, and registered it in Nontaburi.........

So in the back of my blue book it shows I paid on the 14th October 1,980...... 45 baht for new number plates on the 9th [now has Nonbaburi plates] The car only had one owner before and shows that from 2049 till now he was paying 2,481.60 per year.. The 1st 4 years it was 4,361 baht, then dropped to 3,039 for 2 years then down to 2,481.60.

Yes I have an Isuzu Highlander,4 door pick up, 2 wheel drive with the 3.0 engine. Just paid my tax of 6700 B.

Yeah, sounds about right. same motor as me.

Not really sure why it is so much more than a regular car (over 2500cc perhaps) but can't fret about it as only once a year.

It also depends when you pay.

You can pay in advance (up to two weeks I think) but, if you pay late there is a 20bt per day fine that gets added, eg. 30 days late = 30 * 20bt = 600bt to be added to your actual tax amount.

Yes, I did forget to renew on time and did not know there was a fine. They politely informed me so now I do, and so do you.

Does anybody have a link to a site or the tax tables, because I am confused a bit about some of the things taken into the calculation.

Age/ engine displacement/ pick up or not/ number of doors / 2 or 4 wheel drive? Family van type or just a sedan..

Anybody has a table?

Does anybody have a link to a site or the tax tables, because I am confused a bit about some of the things taken into the calculation.

Age/ engine displacement/ pick up or not/ number of doors / 2 or 4 wheel drive? Family van type or just a sedan..

Anybody has a table?

I think what I pay at about 7k a year is the maximum and it would appear the minimum is about 2k a year so a difference of Bt15 a day so not really important.

• 1 month later...

Useful thread this. I could do with a bit more advice though please...

I usually let the Totoya dealer renew the tax on my Toyota Hilux 3.0 4 door pick-up when I have it serviced. I am not having it serviced this time, so will do the tax myself. I live near the Registration office in Pattaya. It seems a fairly simple task . I just turn up with around 7000 Baht, the blue book and thats it??

The pickup is 4 years old, I think I read here somewhere its after 5 years it needs a 'check-up' as well.

Thanks for any tips.

If your spoken and reading Thai skills are very good you should be ok, mine are limited so I let the girls in our local insurance office go and tax mine when the insurance is due for renewal, seems to work for the last 2 years.

On tax costs. I paid 1050 Baht for 2 door King Cab pick up,it has green letters on plate and classified as commercial vehicle. I only recently learned that because of this taxation class you are not supposed to carry passengers in the small rear section, everyone does, including me!.

An article in Bangkok Post queried Toyota's decision to make the new Vigo truck Smart cab with the small rear access doors, Toyota stated that they are for easy access for passengers, BP wrote it was against the Law!.

I have heard about the 5 year checkup too but again a neighbour has just taxed & insured his 8 year old 4 door Ford ranger successfully.

I usually let the Totoya dealer renew the tax on my Toyota Hilux 3.0 4 door pick-up when I have it serviced. I am not having it serviced this time, so will do the tax myself. I live near the Registration office in Pattaya. It seems a fairly simple task . I just turn up with around 7000 Baht, the blue book and thats it??

The pickup is 4 years old, I think I read here somewhere its after 5 years it needs a 'check-up' as well.

Thanks for any tips.

Plus you will need the CTPL insurance

Thai Visa Insurance

I no longer have the figures but I do know that you pay MUCH more for a four door pickup than a two door. If I remember correctly it was about 4 or 5 times more.

That is true Gary and I was amazed when I found out. However, when you do the maths, it matters so little:

Cost - 800k

Sale after 4 years - 400k

Insurance for 4 years - 100k

Maintenance for 4 years - 40k

Fuel costs (average 10km/L and 15k per annum @ Bt25 litre) for 4 years - 150k

So you have a total ownership cost over 4 years of 690k

Lets say the difference in tax is about 5k per annum and therefore 20k in total.

Thus, the extra tax is 20/690*100 = 2.9%

Seriously, if people are banging on about buying this instead of that to save on tax then they should forget the truck or buy what they want (if they want 4 door buy buy 2 door for "ECONOMY") for the sake of less than 3% !

• 6 months later...

25 posts later and the OP's question is no where nearly answered...

Apart from the fact that some people are *wildly* guessing...

So maybe one more time: Does anybody know where to get a table or proper calculation method?

Hence, this is a yes/no question... goal leading answers are highly appreciated

Thanks for any tips.

Thai Visa Insurance

Can anyone clarify that this is still the case, if you have fully comprehensive insurance you don’t need the government compulsory insurance, I know last year when we taxed the car we were informed just show your comprehensive insurance when you hand over the blue book to get your road tax, this proved correct at the time.

But things change

Thanks for any tips.

Thai Visa Insurance

Can anyone clarify that this is still the case, if you have fully comprehensive insurance you don’t need the government compulsory insurance, I know last year when we taxed the car we were informed just show your comprehensive insurance when you hand over the blue book to get your road tax, this proved correct at the time.

But things change

Sorry for talking a load of drivel, I forgot the insurance company had already included the cost of the compulsory insurance. What a wally I am !!!

• 3 months later...

http://bangkok.angloinfo.com/countries/thailand/driving.asp

Car tax sticker

All cars must display a tax sticker on the windscreen as proof that car tax has been paid. When a car is bought the tax sticker stays on the window and remains valid until it expires regardless of who owns the car. Tax must be paid annually at the local DLT office (to make the car tax payment take the Blue Book and proof of the CMI).

Tax rates are calculated depending on type and age of car as well as its engine size. For vehicles up to five years old the price is fixed depending on the engine size and type of car. After five years the tax will reduce by 10 percent every year up to a maximum of 50 percent.

Approximate costs are listed below but it is necessary to check with the DLT to get an exact price as there are many variables in how it is calculated. It will also be written in Thai in the back of the registration document (Blue Book).

4-door pick-up and 7-seat cars THB 6,900

Pick up truck up to 2,500cc THB 1,000

Car up to 2,000cc THB 1,000

For those readers of Thai, (or the wife), perhaps somebody can follow this;

If you go to the Department of Land Transport website http://www.dlt.go.th/english/index_eng.html# , there is a link on the right hand side titled, “Tax Rate NEW!” There are drop down selections to make, but it’s all in Thai.

I suspect this maybe a calculator method to find out how much you pay for any particular type of vehicle. If so, would appreciate somebody doing a quick look-up for my vehicle: ISUZU Highlander, 3.0 Litre Turbo, 4-door, pick-up. Now 2 years old.

Many thanks