How Do I ......?

kin hell

HI to all,

Can any one please tell me how to turn off my Norton programe , I just want to see what the memory loading is like with out the Norton running..?, I don't want to delete it , only stop it from running for a bit, I am using Windows 98

Thanks .....

It may help if you tell us exactly which Norton program you want to stop.....

But you could trying looking in the system tray, look for the icon for the program you are referring to and right-click on it. You should then see some options that include something like stop, close, disable, etc....

HI to all,

Can any one please tell me how to turn off my Norton programe , I just want to see what the memory loading is like with out the Norton running..?, I don't want to delete it , only stop it from running for a bit, I am using  Windows 98 

Thanks .....

You did not mention which norton program you were running, but norton software usually leaves an icon in the bottom right of your task bar. Right click on it and there's usually a disable option.

Thanks Guy's

The Norton running is

NORTON SYSTEM WORKS

NORTON UTILITIES

NORTON ANTI-VIRUS

SYMANTIC SECURITY CHECK

there's an icon at the bottom tray, when I put the pointer on it ( no click ) it comes up showing ... Norton Anti Virus Auto protected, when I right click it comes up with ... Disable Auto Proterction

when I right click and Disable it, I think it still leaves some Norton programe parts running ...? I just want to shut down all the Norton programs running

THANKS

....... I just want to shut down all the Norton programs running......

1. Hold down both the CTL and ALT keys, then press the DELETE key once*.

2. A new window titled Close Program will open.

3. In new window, highlight, one-at-a-time, all Norton and/or Symantec listed items. (DO NOT remove Explorer or Systray entries.)

4. Click End Task button. (If confirm window opens, just reconfirm action.)

(* Only press DELETE key once, or your system will reboot.)

The above will shutdown those programs you selected. To restore normal operation, just reboot the computer.

Check your PM for more info.

cheers

Hi Waldwolf

Thanks for the information, ive tried the ...Ctrl + Alt, and the window comes up showing...

Explorer

Zlclent

Ccapp

Rnaapp

Systray

Cmmpu

no reference to Norton as I can see..?

Ive got a memory overload problem and want to dump some programms, ive been told may be to delete all the Norton ( as you advised) programms and then down load AVG as it does not use up so much memory..?

Rgeards ... KinHell

Click "Start" then "run". Type MSCONFIG, this will bring up a series of screens which will allow you to change the way the system boots. From here you can disable the startup of your norton programmes. then just reboot.

Dont forget to turn them back on again later.

Click "Start" then "run". Type MSCONFIG, this will bring up a series of screens which will allow you to change the way the system boots. From here you can disable the startup of your norton programmes. then just reboot.

Dont forget to turn them back on again later.

HI all

the ccapp is notron, the msconfig should not be tweak unless you know exactly the big picture, Norton or any modern antivirus is a memory hogger, and will slow your or any system down considerably, but it is the armour for your machine and unless you never connect to the net or net use any other software from friends you should never diasbale it, and as ever always have it fully updated,

I see you are running

NORTON SYSTEM WORKS

NORTON UTILITIES

NORTON ANTI-VIRUS

SYMANTIC SECURITY CHECK

the problem you have now is Norton products can be very hard to uninstall and often cause probs when you try, having tried several nOrton products I would never recommend using anything other than their antivirus, I see also you have Zone alarm, this is a good and easy to use firewall, i cannot remember off hand what program system works insatalls but maybe try and see if you can uninstall part of that suite, there are also trace function in 98 which will allow you to trace trend performace perameters, but stick more memory in your machine, RAM, its cheap and makes an instant performance change , always upgrade to as big as you can afford, filling all the memory slots, have a good one,

PS if its NAV 2004 you are running it makes your machine lumpy and very slow try 2005 it is somewhat smoother.

Edited by sincy