Has The New Aquarium Re-opened?

hill16

Hi guys,

I posted this under a previous thread asking for the location of the new aquarium but it seems to have got buried so I'll start this thread to see if anyone knows the answers.

Apparently the Aquarium re-opened on Monday. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I heard a rumour that the entrance fees are 250B for Thai adults and 180B for Thai kids while farang pay 450B and 350B respectively. Is this true as well? Disgusting policy, in my opinion!

Kind regards,

Hill16

Hi guys,

I posted this under a previous thread asking for the location of the new aquarium but it seems to have got buried so I'll start this thread to see if anyone knows the answers.

Apparently the Aquarium re-opened on Monday. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I heard a rumour that the entrance fees are 250B for Thai adults and 180B for Thai kids while farang pay 450B and 350B respectively. Is this true as well? Disgusting policy, in my opinion!

Kind regards,

Hill16

Yes, it's open. My (Thai) family went yesterday and there's a 2 for the price of one offer FOR THAIS ONLY at the moment. I didn't join them as a small protest at their dual pricing policy.

CMMCB

Is the aquarium worth the 450 bht in anyones opionion?

I have to say I completely agree that charging more is discrimination, :o:D and I think its time to take a stand before the "farang price" gets out of hand!

If the entrance fee is 450 bht, that's around 9 English pounds, which even in England is expensive to see some fish!!

The people who come up with the "farang price" seem to forget that we are not all tourists, and that allot of us live here with young children who would like to visit something like this regularly, for example I like to take my children to the lake at the Night Safari as it's only 100 bht for me to get in, kids are free, so I dont mind going once every couple of weeks. They get tired out doing the walk, the monkey throws some crap at us, the leopard allways scares the crap outta them, a bargain at 100 bht!

So, unless someone tells me the Chiang Mai Zoo Aquarium is AMAZING (I mean Jaws and Nemo stylee) then it's a no for me!

I have to say I completely agree that charging more is discrimination, :o:D and I think its time to take a stand before the "farang price" gets out of hand!

If the entrance fee is 450 bht, that's around 9 English pounds, which even in England is expensive to see some fish!!

The people who come up with the "farang price" seem to forget that we are not all tourists, and that allot of us live here with young children who would like to visit something like this regularly, for example I like to take my children to the lake at the Night Safari as it's only 100 bht for me to get in, kids are free, so I dont mind going once every couple of weeks. They get tired out doing the walk, the monkey throws some crap at us, the leopard allways scares the crap outta them, a bargain at 100 bht!

So, unless someone tells me the Chiang Mai Zoo Aquarium is AMAZING (I mean Jaws and Nemo stylee) then it's a no for me!

Strange thing at Nam Tok Maesa last week. Wife= 20B, Farang= 200B, Farang+Thai Driv Lic= 20B

Don't know if this is someone's idea of distinguishing between tourist and expat or c_ck-up.

I know that sometimes, if persuasive and/or lucky, expats come sometimes get the Thai rate. It would be good if this was common place, but I guess many would just get some fake id's made. Although I can understand the reasons behind wanting to charge foreigners more, the difference is really too high. Also in other countries you can buy things like a package for local attractions where you can get a discount on the entrance fee, which I havent seen here (although could be wrong). Well, regardless im just not up for spending 450baht. :o

Edited by eek

sheesh, I tihnk you've forgotten what western prices are like. I know in australia the zoos and aquariums are usually about $15-$20 .....

so normal costs.

dual pricing sux though.

Strange thing at Nam Tok Maesa last week. Wife= 20B, Farang= 200B, Farang+Thai Driv Lic= 20B

Don't know if this is someone's idea of distinguishing between tourist and expat or c_ck-up.

This is normal pricing anywhere (public places) where there is a farang price. It includes the zoo. And you don't just need a driving license, a visa or work permit, or even a Thai business card with your Thai address works.

Oh wow, thank you for that info helloall.

Does anyone know how long the offer is on for? Would be good to take advantage of it, especially seeing as it will be 4 of us going. Very happy! :o

If i do go, will let everyone know if im lucky to get the same good deal.

Oh wow, thank you for that info helloall.

Does anyone know how long the offer is on for? Would be good to take advantage of it, especially seeing as it will be 4 of us going. Very happy! :o

If i do go, will let everyone know if im lucky to get the same good deal.

it finishes on 30 nov. the "complimentary" ticket does not show whether you paid farang or thai price so if you havnt got a thai drivers license just hide and get your thai friends to pay.

id say at the thai price 2 for 1 its definitely worthwhile and it has the longest underwater tunnel in the world at over 100m

Edited by helloall

Its open and very good, just been!

Took my Thai driving license and got the Thai 2 for 1 offer with the missus, 290 Baht. Well worth it, and the baby loved the fish. 2 for 1 offer lasts until 30th November and is advertised in Thai and English, so should apply to both ticket prices. Obviously a tourist couple with one partner being Thai should obviously wait fo a similar couple to arrive and buy their tickets together to take full advantage of the 2 for 1 offer.

We got there at around 12, and not too busy, but by 1pm there must have been 200 school kids waiting to get in!

Well worth a visit!

Just a final bit on dual Thai / Farang pricing, I dont like it, but have never had a problem getting a locals price with a Thai driving license. I have even got a hotel discount this month with the driving licence. We have just visited Italy, and the prices there differentiate between EU nationals and non EU Natonals on visiting places like the Forum and Colleseum in Rome. This is not just a Thai practice.

Must say it is always refreshing to visit he UK where all museums and public viewpoints and places of historic importance are free for all nationalities.

The deadly sea creature tank is "interesting"..... its open at just over 1m high, and whilst the safety bars curve outward, and would stop the majority of Thais reaching, I found i did not have to stretch to hover my hand over a Lionfish on the sufrace. I told the missus I thought them dangerous, and it was only with a bit of looking that we spotted the deadly fish sign! I am about 180cm tall, and I did not need to stretch!!!

Just checked out the Lionfish...

A person punctured by one of the sharp spines will immediately feel strong pain. Rapid swelling of the affected body area develops which may make the movement of limbs very difficult. Lion-fish stings can cause nausea, breathing difficulties, paralysis, convulsions and collapse. Even death may occur in exceptional circumstances. Most people survive in spite of the great pain. The venom in the spines remains active for days, so even discarded spines should be treated with caution. It may take several months for a full recovery and if the sting is left untreated, gangrene may develop.

Keep an eye on the taller kids there!

Iain

The deadly sea creature tank is "interesting"..... its open at just over 1m high, and whilst the safety bars curve outward, and would stop the majority of Thais reaching, I found i did not have to stretch to hover my hand over a Lionfish on the sufrace. I told the missus I thought them dangerous, and it was only with a bit of looking that we spotted the deadly fish sign! I am about 180cm tall, and I did not need to stretch!!!

Just checked out the Lionfish...

A person punctured by one of the sharp spines will immediately feel strong pain. Rapid swelling of the affected body area develops which may make the movement of limbs very difficult. Lion-fish stings can cause nausea, breathing difficulties, paralysis, convulsions and collapse. Even death may occur in exceptional circumstances. Most people survive in spite of the great pain. The venom in the spines remains active for days, so even discarded spines should be treated with caution. It may take several months for a full recovery and if the sting is left untreated, gangrene may develop.

Keep an eye on the taller kids there!

Iain

went there today and here's a picture of it.. well two pictures.

post-29436-1227698403_thumb.jpg

post-29436-1227698432_thumb.jpg

Heads up. Many tuk tuk drivers were given thousands of complimentary VIP tickets for the Aquarium. We got a pair last week and another pair this week from tuk tuk drivers. They have no expiration date. We called the zoo today and were told that they are valid - absolutely free admission. We're going tomorrow.