Do You Prefer The Nation Or Bangkok Post?

ohobangkok

I think that bangkokpos (bangkopost.com ) website looks like International news website ,

but The Nation ( nationmultimedia.com ) looks more local.

bangkokpost , in my opinion ,is easier to find in search engine than The Nation .

But I like to watch Travel video in The nation website, that's so cool for foreigners that may not know about Thailand much.

I think that bangkokpos (bangkopost.com ) website looks like International news website ,

bangkokpost , in my opinion ,is easier to find in search engine than The Nation .

But I like to watch Travel video in The nation website, that's so cool for foreigners that may not know about Thailand much.

My observations are a bit different.

The Nation - quicker with breaking news, albeit at times a yawn Breaking News "Taksin Calls Thailand".

English Language on the Nation Breaking News is generally poor.

BKK Post - better English overall, especially for Breaking News Items.

Pop Up Ads on this site drive me mad at times.

My head says the Nation (it seems more serious) but my keyboard fingers say the Post because that is where I usually go (I like the Real Time section a lot).

However, during times of coups and such like, I always check out the Nation because they do have a different slant on things.

Printed BP has a lot more paper and better syndicated stories - news, art, lifestyle, whatever. It also easier to navigate online.

Nation is faster with the stories and updates, has more interesting opinion pieces, and their archives are FREE, stretching back for years.

Generally it feels more exciting while BP is more conservative in presentation.

You go their website and the Nation's top stories are impossible to miss. You go to BP news and really good stuff might be buried down the page and is very easy to miss.

The print version of the Post is twice as good as the Nation; that is, it goes twice as far when lining my birdcage to catch the droppings. No difference I can see in the websites; both suck...

My dogs will pee on either, no discrimination, but I think the Post has definitely better absorbent properties

I could be wrong.. but it seems like The Nation has a more Thai reporting staff, hence the quicker and sometimes better reporting, coupled with worse English and stories that are more difficult to understand as an expat. The Post seems to lack The Nation's reporting capability for local news, but writes in a way that's easier to understand for outsiders.. both in grammar and concept.

Glad to have both.

Pet peeve about the Nation web site (since the last change in format): They retain old stories and headlines for god knows how long - in fact so long that I sometimes think they are "news" and waste time clicking on them again a week later. Surely they could put a date beside the hyperlink to show what date they were posted (normally you have to bring up the article to see the date)

Comment about both: Too many times the critical perspective can only be found in the "letters to the editor" page - the rest is just mangled "praise (press) releases" and other fanciful puff. Two examples -

1. the letter this week from someone questioning why Thaksin wasn't arrested when he went to the Kong Kong Thai consulate to get divorced

2. a letter a few months ago from some farang who witnessed a murder in Bangkok involving police (he saw it from a neigbouring rooftop)

Also the ongoing pathetic lack of action by airports of thailand concerning crime (in MANY forms) at the airport

These things and so many others should be subjected to investigative journalism - just doesn't happen

I appreciate the English language resource made available to us, but it's hard to take either of these papers very seriously.

Actually I don't like either paper's website that much but I do use the Bangkok Post "Newspaperdirect" service and have their full paper version delivered online every morning along with guru magazine etc. when published. Being located in Si Sa Ket, with little access to either the Nation or BP, this system suits me fine. Enjoy the editorials, postbag and much better sports coverage of the BP.

Pet peeve about the Nation web site (since the last change in format): They retain old stories and headlines for god knows how long - in fact so long that I sometimes think they are "news" and waste time clicking on them again a week later. Surely they could put a date beside the hyperlink to show what date they were posted (normally you have to bring up the article to see the date)

Comment about both: Too many times the critical perspective can only be found in the "letters to the editor" page - the rest is just mangled "praise (press) releases" and other fanciful puff. Two examples -

1. the letter this week from someone questioning why Thaksin wasn't arrested when he went to the Kong Kong Thai consulate to get divorced

2. a letter a few months ago from some farang who witnessed a murder in Bangkok involving police (he saw it from a neigbouring rooftop)

Also the ongoing pathetic lack of action by airports of thailand concerning crime (in MANY forms) at the airport

These things and so many others should be subjected to investigative journalism - just doesn't happen

I appreciate the English language resource made available to us, but it's hard to take either of these papers very seriously.

Argggh Bruce..... those two Letters to the Editor examples were in The Bkk Post not The Nation. That second example was later found out to be a total prank, remember it well.

Both Online newspaper Bkk post and Nation are very poor. They are both filled with many mistakes and I even noticed that the Nations headline today was incorrect. I find it amazing that they could not even pick up a mistake in a major headline. They could easily fix their problems by hiring some decent journalists who have studied english abroad and editors with some basic english grammar skills. Also it would be nice for the news teams to write a little more independently when they cover political news events instead writing obvious personal opinions in the news pieces. The printed versions are slightly better but not by much.

neither, they are both abissmal as far as international online newspapers go.