Wi-fi Usb Dongler

syd barrett

I want to fit a wi-fi dongler from my PC, how much do they cost, and is there different styles? I would like a powerful one so I can pick up the free wi-fi from the next door coffee shop. Plus do they have to be installed with software and is it difficult to do. Thanks for any advice/help.

Wifi donglers for 802.11g are supposed to follow the standard of a maximum of 100mW power output. However, some have less power or have less sensitivity. I just ordered 8 for our facility but they are on the expensive side at 1500 Baht. But they are 3Com brand and they have an external desktop antenna (increases gain over the USB only that use small circuit board antennas) that can be positioned for best reception.

You might look at this topic on how to boost gain. :o

I want to fit a wi-fi dongler from my PC, how much do they cost, and is there different styles? I would like a powerful one so I can pick up the free wi-fi from the next door coffee shop. Plus do they have to be installed with software and is it difficult to do. Thanks for any advice/help.

you mean steal their wifi?

Thanks for the feedback.

I bought an EDIMAX High gain model and it has a small external attenna and patch lead. I have received eight Wi-Fi signals (four unsecured) so lots of free internet for my desktop. It is strange that my laptop does not detect any Wi-Fi, maybe because it is internal.

Now I am working on the gain boosters Twais gave a link to. I shall buy a large parabolic metal dish and zoom in on Wi-Fi signals. All for free!!

you mean steal their wifi?

If they choose to not protect their wifi, there is no stealing just picking up the signal. If they do protect and you try to crack it, that's another case.