Using Your Home As A Registered Business Address

Ms. Bino and I have some ideas for a "cottage industry" that could work out well.

Is it possible to register your home as a business address? I understand that normally the landlord has to approve for the business to operate on their property. She would be the majority Thai shareholder, and owns the condo, so can she give the approval?

Thanks for knowledgeable replies!

Possible? - Yes.

Assumed you're living some place in Thailand - take a look around you and maybe take a walk down the sois in your neighborhood. Don't you see small businesses everywhere? I for one am running a full fledged vat-registered company (co. ltd.) from home. It does happen to be located in a socalled shophouse, but a shophouse isn't legally different from any other house.

You've got a landlord, willing to sign a paper allowing you to run a business on the rented premises? If yes - you're all set except perhaps for local regulations you're in a much better position to learn about than some poster on an online forum.

Yes it is common practice. You will need to print out your company logo on a sheet of A4 sellotape it outside the house and take a photo. You will need a photo of the "office". In my case it was a picture of a laptop and a couple of pens.

Get a rubber company stamp and get the business registered.

Thanks to all for the replies. It is pretty much what I had figured, but wanted to hear it from someone else who has done it before wasting time pursuing it if it wasn't doable.

Is the business actually going to be big enough to have to actually register it in the first place?

TH

It has the potential, and having a properly registered company, bank account et al would be advantageous.

• 2 weeks later...

100% possible,one can always register his business at home,it is allowed.there is no such rule which says"company must be registered in commercial buildings only"

go ahead

all the best :o

Edited by yogi

I thought a foreigner was not allowed to register a business at home unless they get the landlord to sign some paper. Some landlords would not like to do this as that would open their books up to scrutiny which they don't want. So, not incredibly easy in my view. Easier for Thais to do.

I thought a foreigner was not allowed to register a business at home unless they get the landlord to sign some paper. Some landlords would not like to do this as that would open their books up to scrutiny which they don't want. So, not incredibly easy in my view. Easier for Thais to do.

It is not just a foreigner, it is any person who rents a property, they must have the permission of the landlord, it is easiest to include a clause in the lease permitting any legal business. If it is not in the lease you need a specific written permission from the landlord. If the property is owned by your company, no problems.